Monday, June 22, 2009

A late Happy Father's Day


We had our fav neighbors over last night so the girls could run and find guess what....yeah fairies and the olders could just sit, talk, enjoy each others company and see Josh's newest magic tricks. Josh has got to be one of the funniest (in the best sense of the word) 17 year olds in the world. What a delight. I served, white peach ice cream, sugar cookies with the sun baked right in, and taste of summer tea. We had in attendance two of the greatest Dad's ever. Not that I am prejudice. Christian, Daddy from across the street, is one of kindest, quiet, most gentle Dad's I have ever known. He loves his kids evenly and strongly, has a great sense of humor and is a wealth of interesting tidbits about life. My own sweet man, is just that. He loves kids, is a kid, was the oldest of 8 kids, has the patience of Job and makes others feel very comfortable. We got to talking, sharing stories and at almost midnight finally said our goodnights. I must tell you that growing up I just hated father's day. My Dad was not exactly what you would call admirable. I have said in the past and I will say it again, they did not have cards that said Hey Dad, have a happy fathers day, you sorry Son of a Bitch. Not a boohoo story just my truth. But last night, as I was relaxed watching these two men interact and love the children present, I experiended a warm, "yeah this is it moment". And I realized I had finally forgiven my Dad, let the ugly in me go for him. Instead of wishing my growing up had been different, like I have for so many years, I was content in the moment. Sitting on the front patio of the house he and my Mom had built in 1961, where laughter and fun is now allowed and encouraged, surrounded by people who treated each other with respect and act socially appropriate, knowing I couldn't be hurt if I chose not to be......Wow, talk about your AHA moment. The ghosts are gone and won't be invited to any more gatherings here. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it. I hope you all had a pleasant Father's Day.

3 comments:

  1. Had to laugh at the lack of card selections available for really crap ass fathers. I'm so sorry you had to experience such a difficult childhood...very sad. But hay, you've got one great life now...the Universe took care of that balance.

    Love the little fairies. I spent my summer solstice baby sitting my little Aiden. We were invited to some friends house for a cook out and I was looking forward to that, but my hubby had already accepted to take Aiden for the night because both his parents were working evening shifts. They brought him and he was in a foul mood...had spent all afternoon with 5 other kids, so he was way over stimulated. I told my hubby and Ian to just go ahead and I would stay at home with the little man. Let's face it, we're not accustomed to screaming kids, so once everyone left, he calmed down and was just a little joy...had great fun with him.

    Enjoy your week and thanks for you kind response to my blog...very much appreciated...I truly miss my Pop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You lady are a star in my heaven and I so appreciate your twinkles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is a fun aha moment. wondering if you'd be interested in coming to our site and telling your story? our site is ahamoment.com it was created by mutual of omaha and people come and tell their "aha moment" stories, big and small. inspiring, motivational anything.

    hope to see you.

    thanks

    Cam
    cam@ahamoment.com

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you. Thanks for taking the time to comment.