Friday, July 3, 2009

Kids, kids, you buy um books and they eat them.


My 9 year old granddaughter has got to be one of the funniest people on the planet. She has her grandmother's quick wit and her mom's insane sense of humor. I love books. I love reading, being read to and owning books, especially childrens books. I will buy a kid a book no matter what. That's probably why I always have overdue books from the library, bookshelves bulging with too many items and why Barnes and Noble have me on their preferred sucker list. I don't come from a family of readers but have produced one. I would have to threaten my daughter Shelley with death and destruction just to get her to turn the lights out at night as a child. It was hard to convince her that she could wait to finish whatever book she was reading. This summer's reading focus, so far, in kiddie lit is Judy Blume's Fudge centered books. If you have not read them, you should, good laughs. I introduced GereaKaye to Petaaaaa, Sheila, Turtle,Fudgie and Uncle Feather and we have had a really good time including these characters into our conversations and thought processes. I got two of the 3 Fudge books at the junk store (thrift store to the uniniated) before she came from South Carolina. We have since searched for the missing one and finally found a copy in a used book store (one of the best shopping places on earth for a bookaphile). After finding Double Fudge, we went our separate ways to look for other, could not live withouts. I was checking out a textbook for educators on "Working with a Difficult Child", I need all the help I can find to get ready for GereaKaye's younger brother who will soon be joining us. I turned to GereaKaye and held up the book for her to read the title. I asked if she thought the book would help me in getting RyLeigh to behave. She laughed and said, no I don't think that book is big enough for RyLeigh. Being her unwitting straight man er woman, I thought she misunderstood and thought I was buying the book for RyLeigh to read. I started to add to my statement and she said Oma, you're gonna need a bigger book than that to make him behave, all the while making a bonk on the head move with her hands. She cracks me up.

3 comments:

  1. I heart Judy Blume...have you read her books written for adults...I think there are 3.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not yet, but I have them on my to do list. How's the wet in EP. We had a downpour starting around 3 am and it lasted until about 9 am. We so needed the rain but like you, I am not affluent enough to speak air conditioner, only swamp cooler.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you. Thanks for taking the time to comment.