Tuesday, August 25, 2009

You're so vain...you probably think this song is about you......


There is a thin line between vanity and conceit. There is also a fine line between being nine and being a big kid but don't tell GK that.


2nd day of school, Gerea comes home from school letting me know that only 2 boys already like her. She kinda sounded disappointed and so I asked if she was and she said.....(huff, shook her head a little, rolled her beautiful root beer colored eyes and said) Oma, don't worry it is only August. Wow, I didn't know what to say.


I am always in awe of her self confidence. I am always amazed by her matter of fact attitude about life, liberty and the pursuit of being 100% herself. She is who I want to grow up to be.


I was always the little girl who was funny but that isn't who I wanted to be. I wanted to be picked first for the games, liked by everyone and the first to be called on in class. Gerea just let those chips fall where they may and enjoys the moment. But then there is the flip side of her easy breezy attitude. It's kinda scary. When the other child comes out to play, she is almost inconsolably snitty. Luckily that kid doesn't show up very often but when she does, I hurt for her. It's not easy to breathe when you are that full of unhappiness and dis-ease.


Kids are so complicatedly simple. For that matter so are we adults. Who doesn't want to be appreciated, loved, respected, honored and held in high regard? Now comes the part where I get to teach her about the boys side of equation, they are just like her. I'm sure one of them went home Friday talking smack about some cute, long legged, brown eyed girl who they think likes them. And so it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you. Thanks for taking the time to comment.