Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Happy Birthday Sweet Man


I have from time to time introduced you to some small snippets about the man I am married to. But today, I would like to tell you about him. So if you have problems with sugar intake, you might just want to skip this blog.


Joe and I have known each other since we were ....well he was six months and I was just born. As small children, we danced (being carried by adults) for my grandparents at their 60th wedding anniversary. I think it was then if not before that I knew I loved him. He on the other hand was very much a boy and couldn't stand me. We didn't see each other much after the age of 13. We were on vacation and stopped by to visit his family. Wow, I knew I loved him then. He was way too cool for me. You could have asked him and he would have explained in detail.


At 21, I married a Texas snake in the grass and that lasted oh about that long and so I was divorced and living back home with my folks when an aunt called and told me that she had a visitor from my past, who would like to see me. She wouldn't tell me who it was but I was not otherwise entertained so I went to her house and there he was. In all his grown up glory. And yep, I knew it. He asked if I had a girlfriend who might be interested in going out for a drink while he was here visiting. I said sure, I could call one of my sorority sisters and get something going for him. Told him to call me to find out the time and proceeded to go and buy myself a new dress.


When I showed up at the appointed meeting place by myself, wearing my sassy little black dress, he got the biggest grin on his face, planted the sweetest kiss on me and said "thanks babe, I knew you'd be here". We have been married for almost 40 years. He has never let me down, always made me laugh, held me when I cry, celebrated all my ups and downs, provided a good living, made sure we had "more " than we needed and snores like a big old bear. The most important thing is that he has let me love him and returned that love a million fold. I told him then and I will say it again. He's a keeper and I've known that all my life.


Happy Birthday to the sweetest, kindest, most generous, understanding, stable human being on the planet.

5 comments:

  1. Linda, what a beautiful tribute of love to your handsome and keepable husband of 40 years. You just got to love that. Your story was so great and I just loved every moment of it. I knew that when he asked you if you knew someone he could go out with while he was there, that it was going to be YOU. I know you are a prankster, hehehehe, and I just knew you would do that. You are such a sweetie pie lady and I wish you husband of 40 years a wonderful Birthday. Happy Birthday Joe. By the way, that was my sweet dad's name. Joe, or Joseph. Have a great day. Thank you for sharing such a wonderful story. Oh and he sounds like my husband of 28 years, a keeper too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely wonderful!!! It's it odd how the person you are to be with always shows up, not in *our* time, but at the RIGHT time!
    Delightful...a smile story for sure.

    XXOO!!
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  3. My other 2 chicas showed up before I could comment!! LOL What time do they wake up in the morning!!!?!?!?!?
    Anyway, my friend, your honey IS a keeper. What you've said about him reminds me of my honey, but we haven't been married that long, 8 years since Oct. 6...we both forgot our anniversary!!! ayayayay!!! Please give the "sweet man" a big Happy Burpday (what my daughter used to call it when she was little) hug from me and tell him he's the best!!

    Muchos abrazos and blessings and goats,

    Georgina

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Linda!
    Happy birthday greetings to a great man!
    He looks VERY nice indeed!
    Lucky you!
    The award is posted, thank you;)
    Go and say Hello to your boys!
    Talk to you soon again
    Lots of love from a "lost child" in Sweden
    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG, Linda, what a great story and tribute to your DH!!
    You know, I could not get to your Blog from the little picture on my follower list so I knew nothing about you. This morning, I went to Anne's Blog and there was your little picture on her list of today's comments - so I found your Blog. AND I AM GLAD I DID. You live in the one part of the country I have always wanted to see. It has to be so beautiful there. You also love MANY of the same things I do (profile list) AND my DH is my 2nd and he is great, too!!
    So, I will be following you, my new Blog friend.
    Vintage Halloween stuff is wonderful, isn't it???
    Have the BEST day!!
    ((hugs)) audrey

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you. Thanks for taking the time to comment.