Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Saying thank you just doesn't seem to be enough.....


I didn't realize it had been quite this long since I posted anything.....I musta been busy huh. Yeah right. Sounds good anyway.

My husband is a former Marine. A not as lean, not as mean but still a Marine kinda guy. I have always been very proud of that fact. My Dad served in WWII in the Army, Sweet Man's father was wounded when he fought in the Philippines, my brother was in the Air Force right after Korea, so I am related to military men.

I feel like it is my duty as a grandmother to explain what all this means to me personally to my grandchildren. How important it is to have pride in your country, get goosebumps when you hear the National Anthem, voice your opinion by voting, have tolerance for all peoples and on Veteran's Day fly the flag with special pride and feeling of gratitude. And to understand that this day is a day set aside to be thankful and appreciate the job that the military men and women do for all of us as Americans. Not just the individuals on the battle lines but also the support troops here and overseas. It is not just the person seving who sacrifices but their families as well. They are doing their jobs for us.

I know most of you know that I was and educator of children and young adults for many years and I can't tell you how many times kids would have Veteran's Day Monday off from school and have little or no idea why they should observe the day. Just another day to do something besides what they normally do. It has always been sad to me. But then I am a sucker for a drum roll and flags furled and pomp and circumstance. I also am a sucker for my love for this great country of ours.

So from me to every living and deceased person who has served their country in the military......thank you from the very depths of my being. I am humbled by your efforts.

2 comments:

  1. ...and I salute you for honoring our country as you do. I'm with you all the way. My son was military as well. I will fly the flag tomorrow. That's what I love about this country, its "ours" and even if we never meet, we will always have that in common. Again, I salute you too. Hope you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A beautiful post! I was raised with that same love of country and pride, and I hope I'm doing a decent job of passing that on to my kids as well!

    I've very much enjoyed reading through your posts today, and thank you so much for your kind words on my blog :O)

    I have to add that when I clicked on your profile and saw the picture posted there, I burst out laughing! What a wonderful, saucy picture!! Love it!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you. Thanks for taking the time to comment.