Wednesday, November 18, 2009

We need some positive thoughts and energy sent our way......please


Most of you know by now that I have a sweet white faced St. Bernard named Willow Ozgood. She is the love of my life and the bane of my existence. She is 2.5 years old, 145 lbs of always in the way, slobbering, gotta beat you to the door, love. Only a year and a half ago, when she was still just a pup, we had to put her big brother and the prettiest St. Bernard (sorry Willow but it is true) down. I still miss his fierce loyalty and love. He was my protector and very best friend. No one could get past him to me. He was a piece of heavenly work and was gone too soon.

Now Willow, my lovely, has been having ever increasing in severity and time, seizures. Our wonderful vet, who makes house calls, came took blood, gave me liquid Valium to ease her spells and ordered some anti seizure meds for her. Those meds will be the death of me. I have to give her 10 mg of liquid that apparently from her gagging and fighting and orneriness is horrible tasting. Luckily I only have to give her that at night when someone is here to help me. The other meds I can hide in hot dogs, her all time favorite treat.

It's not like you can hold a Saint in your lap and soothe them. Especially if you can't get down on the floor which ever since I had a knee replacement has been impossible. I am so frustrated by not being able to "do" something more for her. Now this is the part where I need your positive thoughts and energy.......her personality is changing. She is frightened of everything. She almost broke the sliding glass door yesterday trying to get away from men who are roofing a neighbors house. The sound of their voices kept her up and pacing all day so I turned on the radio but she just kept pacing. She acts like she doesn't know who the family is. She is so out of it all the time. And I am frightened for her and us. It's like standing in front of a freight train when she freaks out and starts to run. The meds have stopped the seizures but the behavior is alarming. The vet says it could take up to 4 months for her to adjust herself to the meds.

I just had to share with someone because I am the Mommy here. I am the one who needs to keep it together for the other 4 humans, 2 dogs and 1 tailless pain in the ass cat. I need some extra added emotional and spiritual boost. It's wearing me down and I can't let that happen.

Thanks my friends.

4 comments:

  1. Linda, I am so sorry for Willow is having problems. I do believe it is the medicine that is causing her to act abnormal. Hopefully once she adjusts to the meds, she will be okay. I hope the meds are helping her seizures. She is lovable and I know how it is taking care of a family pet member that is ill. Chorizo was ill for many years and I had to give her medicine every day so she wouldn't have her asthma attacks. Now Chocolatte is starting to breathe abnormally when she gets excited. I hope I don't have to go through that again. We love our family pet members so much, because they love us so much and ask for nothing in return. I'm sending you good healing vibes and saying a prayer for you and Willow. Take it easy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Gloria. I knew I could count on your understanding because of your dear dog babies and also because you are such a sweet spirit. I will gladly accept your thoughts and prayers. Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I fell so sorry for you and for Willow.
    It´s heartbreaking when your pets aren´t doing well.
    I hope and pray that her behavior is caused by the medicine and that she soon will be adjusted to the meds.
    Maybe it doesn´t have to take that long before she´s behaving normally again!
    Try to explain for the kids that they have to stay out of her way for some time...
    I really hope that everything will get back to normal soon again.
    Sending positive thoughts to you and your family, this way!
    Mrs.Hedgiewedgie has arrived and she´s lovely!
    Thank you!
    I have already great plans for her in my Vintage Fairy Tales, but she has to rest a little and wait for the "returning of the light"...
    The winter in Sweden is so so dark.
    Lots of love
    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ms. Becky: Thanks for your kind thoughts and well wishes. Willow and I both appreciate your concern. Yes, I agree, we have let the kids know to keep their distance for right now. That makes it even harder cuz she loves the kids so much.
    I am thrilled that Mrs. Hedgiewedgie arrived. I am sure she can be patient until the light is stronger.
    Thanks Becky, you're a sweetheart.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you. Thanks for taking the time to comment.