Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Baby, it's cold outside, sing along, you know you want to)


I don't remember the first time I heard that song but recently it has taken on a new meaning for me. Everyone is having their El Nino bitch and moan from coast to coast and then some. I find it sort of amusing, in a warped sort of way. Like there could be anything else for me, right?

Way back, blah blah blah ages, before the forecasters coined, came up with, claimed, noted or said that this weather pattern had a name, people used to think that weather was just plain old cyclic. I guess you could call that the pre-enlighted world view era. Sorta like wearing bell bottoms or hip huggers and realizing that some day they'd probably come back in fashion and they would still be stupid.

Anyhoooo, our TV idiots have been talking about how cold it is and it hasn't been this cold in 30 something years. Yeah, like my favorite comedian Eddie Izzard says, No one was alive back then. Well being the smartie pants I am I can testify brothers and sisters that it was January of 1971 that the temperatures in ABQ did not get above 13 degreesfor a high for 3 days and the low temp was minus 19 degrees. Just for informational purposes only, the year before was also the first time we had had an earth quake of a magnitude that people actually felt it and panicked.

The only reason I know this is because I was pregnant with, the Queen of Happiness at the time. Everyone else felt the quake, I thought it was the baby kicking. No really, that's how wrapped up in me I was. The bed moved, my first husband, the fool boy from Texas, jumped out of bed to see what the car looked like that ran into our apartment building. HUH??? My Mom called and asked if we were okay and I thought wow, that was some baby kick.

The cold however was a little more group oriented. Like the whole city panicked and came to a screeching halt. Pipes were bursting everywhere, and all the other accompanying trouble caused by severe cold in an unprepared community. I was larger than most semi tractors by this time. I even had to sell my Austin Healy Sprite 1968 rag top yellow convertible car which I parked on my Mom's porch, it was so cute and little, because I was so with child.

And so when I tried to negotiate getting to the trash can with the garbage, not being able to see my feet, I slipped, flipped and came to rest several yards from where I had started. Could not right myself and crawled back to the stoop of the apartment, where it was so icy I could not get traction to get up the steps. 8 1/2 month pregnant lady, in her PJ's and robe, which did not cover the baby bump and house shoes, waiting like Blanche Dubois from a Streetcar Named Desire, on the kindness of any stranger that might happen along.

Have ya noticed my predilection for hollering help, now that you have read some of my blogs?


Sweet Old Lady, probably 10 years younger than I am now, who lived across the courtyard came out expecting the worse I think, and got her husband and nephew to help me into my apartment. They insisted I call my husband, (who by the way said, "Oh just go lay down,stop your bellyaching,  you're fine"). So being the brat I am, I called my Mom. She couldn't get to me but she stayed with me on the phone for an hour to make sure nothing started happening. But I am here to tell you, at minus 3 degrees, in little or no clothes, on your butt in the ice, waiting for help......Baby that's cold outside. Hey maybe that's why the Queen of Happiness is the way she is............ya think?

8 comments:

  1. you are so frickin funny some times.... you always make me laugh.... I can just see you.... know it probably was far from funny then but to hear you tell the story now..... I can not help but laugh....

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's not El Nino, but La Bobosada!!! LOL Don't give it much thought because I've been having hot flashes for the last 20 years, or so it feels like it, since I invested in a coat, finally!!! The last one I bought was back in the mid-80's at the Limited...had those big ass shoulder pads...so it was time.

    As for your daughter, mine was a royal pain in the ass...my poor Ian and I were counting the days, hours, mins. within 24 hours of being there. My oldest came down from Dallas and I told him how sad it was that the only time he's actually pleasant is when he has a few under the belt, otherwise, he's a jerk. I'll email you and tell you more, but what's with these kids??? Pinchis!!! Oh well, got to luv them or at least pretend you like them!!! hahahahaha!!

    Love ya and many goats and blessing to you and yours,
    G

    ReplyDelete
  3. A cute story! Being left out in the cold like that could make for an interesting baby... was she born with blue hair?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh I got the chills reading that. Hi Linda, just stopped by to wish you a HAPPY NEW YEAR. Enjoy and be happy. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are a hoot and a half! I was driving a '67 BRG midget rag top while 15 months pregnant (or so I thought)! On today's post I just shot a pic of my precious (then) little darlings shoes! Love the story. I was going to the hospital in the midget with my water already broken. Couldn't decide if it was time or not!!!
    smiles, alice

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL A funny story for sure, amazing what pregnant ladies go thru, thanks for sharing! Every time I hear that now I will think of you!! LOL :) Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  7. Linda you do paint quite a picture with your words. I am still laughing...Thank you for starting my day off with a good laugh. Happy New Year to you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You always make me smile, love your stories!
    Happy New Year, and greetings to the rest of the family!
    Becky

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you. Thanks for taking the time to comment.