Tuesday, December 8, 2009

I missed saying happy Birdie Day


See, there are the "children of the corn" outside by the tree they decorated for the Birds. Every Dec. 6 or 7 give or take a day, I make treats and feeders for the outdoor birds. It is about this time of year that our Snow Bunny Birds blow into and some through Albuq. This last week we saw Chickadees, House Finches, Woodpeckers, Mocking Birds, Crows (I love them) Mountain Jays, Yellow Titmouse, Mourning Doves (I hate them) and regular old ordinary stick in the roof of your mouth sparrows. We also get this tee tiny little bluish birds that make a sound like nee nee nee and sound like a computer when you make an error. I have no idea what they are called but they are very entertaining. I just love to watch, feed and have birds in our yard.

You should see my St. Bernard Willow (who is adjusting to her meds quite nicely, except for the 20 lb weight gain cuz she is always hungry, and bumps into things more) chase after the crows. It is the best free entertainment in the world. The neighbors behind us have a pecan tree. The crows pick the pecans and then dive bomb the dogs with them. They also use the front drive to drop the nuts on and break them. Then have a chattering nut eating party on our driveway. Messy but cool.

Anyway, we (me and the grands) made strings (only string not wire or fishing line cuz the birdies could get tangled and die) of grapes, cranberries, stale bread cookie cutter cutouts, cheerios, other stale cereal, apple chunks, orange slices, air puffed Cheetos (dollar store variety). We did the old pine cones rolled in 2 parts peanut butter/1 part Crisco and then roll in birdseed or bread crumbs from the left over pieces of stale bread from the cookie cutters. I also found some long forgotten little packets of raisins in the cabinet and added them this year. A new blogging friend at Mother Moon's Message also used popcorn balls (not my Wicked Balls) and covered them with peanut butter and bird seed. I bought some of the individually wrapped pcb's for Halloween and didn't give them all out so we will try that idea after the 1st of the year. As a bit of fun for the kiddos, I found food grade markers at the grocery. They are for decorating cookies etc. but they worked good on the Italian bread we used for the cut outs. The strings are so cute and to take the picture, we had to shoo some robins our of the tree. As soon as the "cheese" was said, those suckers were on the strings instantly.

Very cold today here with the wind supposed to be more than 60 mph. We be cold.

5 comments:

  1. So sweet! I loved doing things like that when my children were small. Those are the things that they will remember always.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that's great. Everyone, thing has to eat. The kids look very happy. You are a good person Charlie Brown. Take care. Memories last forever if taken care of.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One year, I made a popcorn and cranberry string for the Christmas tree and then popped the whole tree in a snowbank after for the birds and bunnies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. love the ideas you had.. wish my grands were here to play with me.... but it was just me out hanging the pcbs.... the birds love them...

    In the spirit of the season, I'm tagging you to play a Christmas (or holiday of your choice) Game. Details on my blog
    http://mothermoonsmessage.blogspot.com/2009/12/tag-i-guess-im-it.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good Morning!
    I am sooo glad you had a talk with your daughter...it really does help clear the air. :) Things are still good at my house, they either shape up or ship out!! Can you tell I'm 50 too??? hahahaha

    You totally gave me incentive to decorate a tree for the birdies. What a cute idea! I've never heard of doing that before. I do feed the birds and get a huge joy out of watching them...i even photograph them. :) Now I have a project today!! Thanks!!!
    Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you. Thanks for taking the time to comment.