Monday, January 18, 2010

Are you leaking?


An elderly Chinese woman had two large pots, each hung on the ends of a pole which she carried across her neck. One of the pots had a crack in it while the other pot was perfect and always delivered a full portion of water.


At the end of the long walks from the stream to the house, the cracked pot arrived only half full. For a full two years this went on daily, with the woman bringing home only one and a half pots of water. Of course, the perfect pot was proud of its accomplishments. But the poor cracked pot was ashamed of its own imperfection, and miserable that it could only do half of what it had been made to do.


After two years of what it perceived to be bitter failure, it spoke to the woman one day by the stream. I am ashamed of myself, because this crack in my side causes water to leak out all the way back to your house.


The old woman smiled, 'Did you notice that there are flowers on your side of the path, but not on the other pot's side? That's because I have always known about your flaw, so I planted flower seeds on your side of the path, and every day while we walk back, you water them.


For two years I have been able to pick these beautiful flowers to decorate the table. Without you being just the way you are, there would not be this beauty to grace the house.


Each of us has our own unique flaw. But it's the cracks and flaws we each have that make our lives together so very interesting and rewarding. You've just got to take each person for what they are and look for the good in them.


So, to all of my cracked pot friends, have a great day and remember to smell the flowers on your side of the path!

10 comments:

  1. A truly beautiful story. Thank you for sharing it.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. cracked pot friends? Made me hoot! Too funny. I love this fable. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great way to look at people and soooo true.

    verification is trigh = putting out an effort with a huge sigh when it is finished.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ~cracked pot friends...all too funny indeed...such a lovely story...will be printing off to share with my little ones! brightest blessings~

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a wonderful story.. .leave it to you to find such a thing.... and I could not agree with you more.... it is the cracks and knicks in many that I love the most... it adds character.... blessings dear

    ReplyDelete
  6. Remember reading this little tid bit in my Children's Lit. class...very nice little story and wonderful moral. I've been spilling gray matter for years, but I see no flowers, just great minds melding and crashing into one another since they too have leakage problems!! LOL

    Ok, does that mean I have to find good everyone???? Or can I just ignore them and remain silent to the outside world as I open them a new one in my mind???!!!

    LOve ya, B&G,
    G

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great story. I enjoyed it. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have already read this before, and it never cease to bring a smile to my face, so true it is!
    Thanks for sharing we're all beautifully, imperfectly made. without these there would be no flowers along our paht! :o)

    Kisses from Nydia.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Linda...
    I have always loved this story ~ one of my favorites. It was really nice of you to take the time to post it and share.
    Thank you for the birthday wishes!!
    ♥ audrey

    mentedne
    I ment te dne last evening, but work kept me too busy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you all for your positive comments. I love this story too and when I came across it again I just knew I wanted to share it will all my fav cracked pots.
    I must say that your answers on the vert word are so darn fun. I think about some of them during the day and try to use them again. I know...too much time not enough brain. ((((((((hugs))))))))

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you. Thanks for taking the time to comment.