So, we thought we'd go out to breakfast. Albeit late breakfast, we beat the church folks to the restaurant. We also decided it had been a long time since we went out on to the way out west side of Metro Albuquerque. Wow, I knew California and Oregon folks were moving out here but had no idea that it had already happened to the extent that we now have housing developments that could be stage sets for ET part dos. It reminded me of that early 70's song, Little house on a hillside, little house make of ticky tacky and they all look just the same. Pseudo mediterranean with pinky faux tile roofs by the hundreds. Very scarey. And a Walmart on every corner. God save the queen or something.
At the restaurant, one of those that serve way too much food but it tastes so yummy that you eat 1/2 and bring 1/2 home. Our escape unfortunately turned into a floor show. Our luck is holding even the new year..............they sat us next to a table with two women and a 5ish year old boy, with ADHD or some other lovely "gosh, I wanna smack that kid" disorder, just like our beloved Ry. This kid wouldn't eat, walked around the area, tipped over his chair, pinched, flicked, smacked his Mom and then when she told him he was getting nothing else to eat all day besides what was currently on his plate, he made this horrible hateful face, got up and flicked her on the end of her nose.
Wait for it.........absolutely nothing. Sit down, says she in a non threatening voice. Whoa my head spun around, I thought WTH, and I am sure the noise from my jaw dropping disturbed people blocks away. When I was relating this story to Shelley and GK, my beautiful granddaughter said in all honestly and innocence, "did the boy die?"
So he proceeds to get her purse and start messing with the contents. Lipstick smeared on his lips, cellphone calls to goodness only knows where, then comes the flashlight. He turns the halogen sucker on and starts looking for a target. Started scanning the wall next to where I was sitting. I know you have already guessed that I had been giving him the evil eye all this time, so he already knew where I stood on his behavior. He started to shine it in my face and then.....he thought better of it and turned and shined the light in the other lady at the his table's eyes. And then graced his Mom with the pleasure of temperary blindness. About this time we had finished our meal and made our way to the cashier.
As we were ambling (cuz we do that best nowadays) to the car, Mom, other woman and little shit pass us on the way to their vehicle. Mom has little shit by the arm, above his head screaming at him about all his transgressions of the day. He is begging for her to stop and I am voting for her to back the car over his naughty butt cheeks.
So I thought I would take a poll on the whole point of this post. Are you, or where you a parent who:
- would have taken action when the misbehavior occurred?
- would have taken the kid to the restroom to do some corrective interaction?
- waited out of embarassment until you got to the car to give him whatfor?
- threatened to take care of "business" when you get home? (This was my Mother's choice of action. And I was a believer, trust me.)
- made an ass out of yourself and your kid in the parking lot?
- left the kid in the restaurant and head for the hills? (It's tempting)
- been better about the birth control years ago? (Amen)
- used the bad kids behavior to terrify your own kids into submission? (works as birth control for teenagers too)
- thanked the stars that you were out for a quiet meal and could get in the car without a kid? (Check, check and check.)
And I hope you had a good day too. Well maybe better day is the hope.