Friday, January 29, 2010

Uncle Alfonso Part 2

Too much to write about in one post so here's part 2.

The ranch was  wonderous place to a city girl like me. 2 houses of cousins to visit at the ranch. A lifestyle I only had brief summer months glimpses of, but enjoyed while I was there. All except the chickens, which I became afraid of. The cousins sent me in to gather eggs which had already been done and the chickens and a particularly nasty rooster took a dislike to me and chased me. I think I was 6 at the time. All ya'll out there in blogdom who love you some chickens will excuse this old gal when I say....you can't keep um.

In the summer months, in early evening when the air is still and the bugs start to buzzing and carrying on there was another sight to be seen at the ranch. My Uncle said it was spriits of the dead coming back to earth. They even had professors from the closest University and priests from the Catholic church come to observe these events. As a matter of fact, lots of folks would come out to see these green luminescent rolling balls of light roll down the hills just to the east of the houses. It was a favorite summer night activity.

The light was obviously eery looking but also very hypnotic. They almost had a rhythm to them. They also had a sound to them. A whirring. Uncle's ghost stories took a back seat only to the UFO stories that started. After all, we're talking about New Mexico folks. Land of the looney UFO lovers. There was speculation that they could be ground gas, or phosphoresence like in the ocean, or St Elmo's fire. I remember adults sitting around trying to figure out what they were and making plans to approach them the next time it occurred. Now the people I am taking about were the town folk not my relatives. They had better sense than that. You could never forecast when the lights would occur, it just happened. And if you did start towards them, they disappeared. Whatever they were (are) it was some spooky looking stuff.

Remember my relatives had had experience with the lights turning out to be things that left bite marks. LOL Another light story was back with the bruja adventures but before her death. Same Uncle Jose out herding the cattle into pens to be branded. He was out looking for escapees from the branding...which means smarter or luckier cows as far as I am concerned when he and Uncle A came upon a light. Only this time, the light was on the ground and coming towards them. Uncle Jose's horse reared up and started trying to fend off the light and struck it with it's front hooves. They said they heard a yelp and then the light was gone. 

A few days later when they returned to the homestead, where the houses and a small general store were located, they saw the bruja sitting on the porch of the store with bruises to her face and arms. Of course they were sure she had changed herself into the light and came after Uncle J.

This man could spin a yarn. Never told one without a twinkle in his eye and a small hint of a smile on his lips. I swear, I could never tell if they were true or not. But that wasn't what was important, the telling, the telling was the key. It was how he made you feel like you were there with them. How he convinced you of the episode. He had friends everywhere because of his likeable nature. When he retired from ranching, they moved here to Albuquerque and bought a house not far from my parents. I was so fortunate to have had both he and Auntie close by. I enjoyed both of them very much. Some day soon, I'll have to tell you a story told by my Auntie. She always took a back seat to his storytelling but this one is very special.

Thanks for letting me share my bruja fearing Uncle with you. I wonder if he'd be fearful of me now. Nah, he'd just tell folks how he bit a witch every chance he got.

9 comments:

  1. I hated gathering eggs because the hog-nosed snakes would give you a good bite when you reached into a nest...

    Or maybe it was a BRUJA hiding in the nest, plotting against the folks in New Mexico...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you to write those memories down for future generations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh that was a great story, it transported me to sitting on the floor at Uncle Alfonso's feet listening to his wonderful stories. What a wonderful memory to have.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I would have liked your Uncle and listening to his stories.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ~oh i can't wait ot hear more...looks as of you inherited a unique trait from someone! brightest blessings~

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Linda...
    The names I put down are the ones I would want to use NOW. Back in the day, when I was pregnant with my son, if he had been a girl, her name was going to be AUTUMN!! I was going to give her the middle name of Gayle. My father-in-law would tease me and say "Why don't you just name her "Spring Breeze"?? lol!
    Oh well. Great minds think alike, right?
    I am zombie-like today. Never went to sleep last night, not even for 5 minutes. What's up with that?
    ♥ audrey

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great story about the lights. I love mystery, fable and such now. I think it would have scared the daylights out of me when I was little.
    ♥ audrey

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love these stories. My grandmother used to tell stories of her growing up in a small Sonaran town called Pitiquito...funny stories...nothing like your stories. As for chickens, hey I happen to be a chicken lover...they're great fried, roasted, broasted, and baked!!!

    Love ya and looking forward to some more ghost stories!!

    G

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like chicken and I also gathered the eggs when I was young and of course still do since we have two laying hens. Great stories that your uncle gave for memories. I enjoyed the post. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you. Thanks for taking the time to comment.