Friday, March 5, 2010

Is it just me?



Life is a funny can of worms.

And I am always surprised when things around me change and I don't take note immediately and then all of a sudden I am thinking to myself what the hell, when did that happen or where was I went that went down?

I'm not just talking about the weather, or a new piece of clothing that someone wears, or a new street sign. I'm talking about how I am living my life. You'd think by this stage in my life, (older than dirt) that I woud have a handle on what to expect and recognize when changes are occuring in my day to day life.

But as I am drying off after the mornings shower, I looked into the mirror (something I avoid doing on a regular basis, and when I think about it I don't know why) and there is this incredibly old woman, with long white hair staring at me like she is lost. When the hell did that happen? What happened to the raven haired cutie pie that thought she was gonna kick butt forevaaaaaa? Did the aliens come again and pick her up and leave me with me? Or is this one of those Aston Kutcher punk deals where he switched my reflection in the mirror? Or did this old broad (Janie and Cee not included) just happen to follow me into the bathroom?

I still feel 30, in my head. I want the same things....well more of some things than others. I still haven't made up my mind what my major is or what I was to be when I grow up. So how could I look like this? No wonder people stare at me when I am riding my tricycle down the street with the kids. (NO, really I have an adult tricycle, stop laughing, it's fun and I can't fall over as easily as on a two wheeler).

But ya know, I did kinda notice that Sweet Man has changed some. I mean his black hair is now chef's hair.....salt and peppa. His love handles have grown to a love inner tube and we walk a helava lot slower now. But that is a good thing cuz used to, he would be holding my hand and I was always trying to keep up. Now time has kinda evened that out. Yep, he's changed. Po ole thang.

But the kicker is....my sweet baby girl, my darlin' child is the same age as Jack Benny. Okay. Now you young puppies are saying who in the hell is that. Well, truthfully, it is only a dim glimpse from my far away past but he was a TV comedian who never admitted to being any older than 39. And now, oh gawd, my child is 39.

So therefore....you know like in the geometry quiz we had last week....in my mind, A=B, and B=C, therefore......I am older than dirt and the lady in the mirror must be me. Damn, there goes another piece of false hope that didn't make it through the washing machine of my illusions. I guess it did shrink in the dryer. What I thought and what is are two different things except............I still feel the same inside.

So the next time you see an olderish person, (be kind, courteous, and respectful), remember every morning some old person they don't recognize scares them in the mirror too. Ha.....

8 comments:

  1. Great post. I know the feeling. Only I still use a blond rinse on my hair, but I I have noticed a couple of necks that didn't use to be there. And, it was just the opposite with hubbie and I. I was always the one who was racing along with him scrambling to keep up. I remember him always saying to me, "Slow down. You're missing everything." How right he was!
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute!

    I aged myself by sitting in the wheelchair and to be honest - it makes me cranky - then I turn around and tell myself I am as young I feel.

    Then I go wheel over the dog [by accident of course] and I feel so much better.

    And the best thing about being wheelchair bound? I can't see myself in the mirror. LMAO

    I think you are lovely -both inside and out....you are doing fine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you are always such a hoot... Yea.. getting older (chronologically speaking) is not a fun thing... yet I feel no where near that number... And as long as I can pull that one off I am going to do just that....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahahaha! Oh, Linda, you always make me laugh! You're such a great writer you know! Maybe you'll become a column writer in a magazine? I am 38 years old now and also wondering where the time has gone... I don't have kids and guess i never get them :-( I always met the wrong guys and time flies by.... At least i have my new passion for a whole year now! SCULPTING and other stuff! Oh, i'm blessed, i believe that, cause i never sculpt in my life, since 1 year ago. Yippeeeee!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Linda, I think there are many of us out here who look in the mirror and wonder who that person is. It's a bummer that we still feel the same in our minds and our hearts, but we sure look different.
    I would hope that when someone looks at us, they see a wise person - someone who has lived through much, faced many challenges, seen many changes over time, and who has wrinkles because they cared, they loved, they cried, and they laughed a lot with people along the way.
    I have a lot of respect for younger people who accept me as a friend - who don't steer away because I'm older. I know as a young woman, I learned a lot from older women and some of them were the greatest friends. I had one lady who was in her 60s when I was in my 40s - she bowled with me in a league and we became really good friends. She used to always say to me "If I knew then what I know now, I would have had a hell of a lot more fun." "Do what makes you happy." (easier said than done) She was the greatest. She has since passed on, but I still think about her from time to time and remember...
    I intend to live the rest of my life to the fullest, God willing ~ wrinkles and all. Heck, we're not OLD yet - we have a lot to do!!

    Yipes, I'm sorry, I got carried away. Your post was really good, Linda. It is a joy to be your friend.
    ♥ audrey

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well Linda, look at it this way, you are alive and breathing and always ready for the next day. Who cares what the woman in the mirror says. If you are feeling 39, then you will look it no matter what. I always stare in the mirror after a shower, sometimes I say, Yuck, who dat? hehehe. Most times though, I say, hey I feel 30, therefore I will be 30. You go get em girl in your bike. I want one of those bikes. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ~linda you are WINDERFUL...i l♥ve your thoughts and spunk you share with us...i think at any age ok well past your 20's we all seem to look in that mirror and wonder sometimes what happened...where is the one who once was...i know i have many of times...just trying to embrace the chances and forces of nature that have taken their effects of me!! you always will live and be young at heart! brightest blessings~

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL - Thanks for the laugh today I needed it. I wonder where all the changes came from also, especially the extra hair that seems to want to crop up on that old woman in the mirrors chin. My babies are 41, two are 40 and one is 39.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you. Thanks for taking the time to comment.