Saturday, April 10, 2010

It's confirmed.....our first turtle sighting....pictures tomorrow

The grands, Sweet Man and I were doing the clean up and fluff in the backyard today. Moved some patio furniture, put up the umbrellas on the table and on the porch. The kids got in the hot tub while we thatched the lawn and then we sat down to rest on the porch swing.

When we heard the undeniable sound of a leaves rustling and a turtle moving through the underbrush of the hedge. We all looked at each other and said "turtle". It was so funny that we all said it at the same time. We all got down on the ground and started searching for our little shelled cutie patootie and there she was....the turtle that hung out on the porch with Willow. She didn't have any residue of mud or dirt on her, so she has been out for awhile.

Now you notice I said she. This is very abnormal. Males come out first generally. Makes me wonder if one of the "boys" was in the same hibernation chamber, they do that sometimes, congregate to winter over. If the boys stirred to the warmth of the season she may have been tussled and decided it was time. So there is probably some fella turtle in the yard, out and about too.

We followed her briefly but came in to have some lunch and give her some solitude. Maybe she's on her way to lay some eggs. Who's to know.

I'm such a happy girl. I love my shelled critters. We will look for more and do a photo shoot later this afternoon if possible.

12 comments:

  1. I can't wait to see the little critters.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so exciting. I am just amazed that you have turtles. That is so cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm anxious to get Big Mama moved out here at the country house with us. My SIL lives next door in Houston so he takes care of her while we are gone. I've bought her new pond, a 580 gallon stock water tank but we have yet to get it dug in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great, can't wait to see her picture.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ~i am turtle envious over here...i can hardly wait to see your photos...blessings aplenty to you and yours~

    ReplyDelete
  6. YAY!!! Looking forward to seeing the little ones!!
    ♥ audrey

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wish I had some of them critters...haven't seen any around here at all. Have a great week.

    Love ya mucho, B&G,
    G

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love turtles! In our old house we had a stream running behind it and a snapping turtle laid eggs in our backyard. It was amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can't wait to eeher, must be cute!

    Kisses and love from us.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, you knew it was a SHE turtle? Did you have to turn her over to know this?

    I'm impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for all the excitement, sorry to disappoint....we couldn't find her (and no I didn't have to turn her over, Fragrant Liar, you're so funny). To add one more tiny fact, I know them by their faces. They all look different, honest. As soon as I spy her or the others, I will have the camera at the ready. (((hugs))) until next time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I suppose you know them, like some people know whales by their flukes...you are sooooo good...

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you. Thanks for taking the time to comment.