Friday, May 7, 2010

Happy Woman's Day ya'll from your renegade Olde Bagge bloggie friend


For all of you lovelies, Happy Mother's Day.

I had a co worker once when I was in youth ministries that just hated Mother's day. Her mother had passed away, she was a single mom of two girls and had neither anyone to give to or get from on Mother's Day. Hated it when in church, they would ask the oldest mom, the youngest mom, and the mom with most children (ouch many times) to stand and be recognized. She was none of the above, no one helped her girls buy her a thing, she missed her mom and that was how she felt. I always felt nauseated by her self pity but that's just me. It was as though a right had been violated somehow and she was due something.

I have friend who is a single woman, never been married, in her eighties and lost her mom 30 years ago and refuses to go to church on Mothers Day for the similar reasons. I have now for the past 22 years made her my surrogate mom, celebrate on the next Sunday and we call it by a different name (you say tomato and I say tomatoe).....

Here's how I feel about it. Thanks Hallmark for letting us make you more money.

Now I would like to propose that we call it Woman's Day and then see how much more inclusive that is and what a huge party we could make outta that one. There would be such pandamonium and celebration because we are "the ones who must be adored".

Cuz remember there are mothers and then there are muthers.

So my lovely friends, Happy Woman's Day, enjoy that special something we posess, share and need to celebrate. So to life, as a woman. Cheers, bottoms up and carry on ladies.

6 comments:

  1. Thank you, and a Happy Mother's Day to you, too, my dear friend. I think Woman's Day is a very good idea.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Mother's Day to you too Linda. I may not be here all day Sunday so I say it ahead of time. Enjoy the day. Take care. That lady friend of yours that was never married in life, nor had children, wow! I wonder why? I guess some people weren't meant to do that. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everyday is Mother's Day! :D Seriously tho' the family wants to make a bigger deal out of Sunday than I would like - because they love me and take care of me everyday - Sunday is a [like you said] a Hallmark holiday we simply don't need. [Much like Valentine's Day - hate it!]

    But a Woman's Day? Hmmmm - why not a whole month - yep!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Woman's Day to you too. I enjoyed the email you sent with the precious mama dog and kittens - so sweet, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That reminds me of a Mother's Day many years ago when I was still married to Dr. Dick. We went to his church, Baptists, and the preacher asked that all the "mothers" to stand up. My father-in-law, who was one of the funniest most clever person I'd ever known, began to stand up!!! You can imagine how our pew was almost in hysterics!!! That was one of the funniest moments that I experienced in a church.

    Hey, I know certain people will ignore the fact I gave birth to them (folded is more like it) and that's fine with me..."quite frankly my dear..." so I'm not going to let that get me down.

    So, Happy Woman's Day my pal...they better appreciate you because there's plenty of us out here that do!!

    Love ya mucho,
    G

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Mother's Day to you, Linda! Today we were out with my sister in law who at 60 has never been married and has no children. EVERY wait person, cashier, employee in EVERY business we visited today wished the two of us a Happy Mother's Day which made me feel bad for my SIL. So yeah, maybe Woman's Day would be a nice thought.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you. Thanks for taking the time to comment.