Monday, June 14, 2010

Here's how to make GK's flower fairy dolls....

I've never done a pictorial tutorial before so I hope you will bear with me. I've had a couple of requests to let the construction of last years faery folk dolls out of the secrety zone. I'm certain many of you have done "make do" dolls before and this is our version.

You will need:
wire cutters, jewelry pliers, hot glue gun
2 regular length chenille stems,
1 coordinating or contrasting chenille stem cut in half,
1 silk daisy, aster, chrysanthemum or other flower with at least 4 separate sections to the flower plus the center. We used painted daisy silk flowers.
2 small fluffy balls (for hands),
2 larger fluffy balls (for feet),
1 larger plain pompom for head
and a wand of some sort (we found these Christmas spikes at Hobby Lobby).
The wings are made from the leaves of the flowers. I add sparkle with irridescent paint.
For the male fairies we used the leaves, and stems for their outfits but the body is constructed the same way.

Deconstruct the silk flowers. We reverse the direction of the petals as we feed them onto the chenille stem to add fluff, one up, one down and so on. The centers of the flowers are used as the hat.

2 regular length chenille stems of your color choice.
Bend one in half. The top of the bend will be where you attach the pompom for the head. Curl the ends to form the feet.
Take the other chenille stem and cut it in half. This half stem is for the arms. Curl the ends to form hands or places to glue the balls for hands. 

Before putting these two stems together to form the arms on the body of the fairy, slide the skirt made up of the layers of the silk flowers onto the leg section.

Now place the center of the arms section on top of the body section and twist both arms behind and back to the the front. Secure with glue.
Hot glue the balls on the hands and feet or you can leave them plain.

Glue on the head to the top portion of the body section.

Wrap the coordinating/contrasting chenille stem around the mid section securing with glue.Glue the hat on the head.



Attach the wand. Or in this case we will put a flag into her hand. I just couldn't find it to photograph.

At this time you can add a bit of hot glue under the skirt to secure it and attach the wings.

It does not take long to make lots of these happy fairy dolls and they are always very popular as the hostess gifts for Solstice, 4th of July, Halloween, Christmas. They can be adjusted in color and attitude for any occasion.
I had a friend who had us make 5 dozen to put on her wedding tables. Too cute.


The Faeries are also sweet as teacher presents, gift tag extras etc. If you have any questions, please ask. Mi faery is tu faery.

11 comments:

  1. I love that you make such pretty things out of such ho-hum supplies. I honestly don't own any chenille stems or pom poms and the only faux flowers I have are in my wedding bouquet (yup, I used fakies so I could keep it and have it be beautiful forever) so I just may have to go shopping.

    And we both know what a *chore* it is to craft shop... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. squeeeeee! I can't wait to hold my own in my hands! I am so excited.

    These are definitely going on future presents as gift tags - soooo wonderful - thanks for sharing how to make them.

    Now tell me how you took the pic' with the faery leaning against the camera? Hmmm?

    ReplyDelete
  3. YAY! Thank you Linda for posting this little tutorial! They are so very cute and simple to make. I'll just have to go shopping at the local craft store and see what I can pick up and attempt! Fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done! Thank you for the instructions.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very good tutorial...and really cute faeries...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great tutorial well done ty so much as soon as hubby allows me to the craft shop i will pick up some supplies to make one of my own blessings hun thanks again x x x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the compliments. This was GK's design after seeing some others on the web. And as for how I took the photo with the fairy sitting on the camera. It's all faery glamour*** ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The sweetest faries! :o)

    Thanks for joining me on the Monday Gulf heling ritual, Linda!

    Kisses and much love from us.

    ReplyDelete
  9. very good step-by-step tutorial Linda!
    i'm going to make them with my sisters daughter :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. ~adorable little fairies...l♥ve the green one above...we have made similar ones just different materials...this was a great tutorial and fun to see what you have been up to! warm wishes and brightest blessings~

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm a little late in commenting, but I love these! Now I wish I had my youngest granddaughter nearby so we could make some! Instead I'll save this and we'll do some up come fall when we get to New York.

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you. Thanks for taking the time to comment.