Sunday, July 4, 2010

I may have made a big mistake that will cost me independence and freedom on today of all days

Okay so you all know, or maybe not, that I have a permanent marker tatoo on my forehead that reads "Patsy". Not my name but is who I are.

So I was minding my own bees wax, taking advantage of the day off from child care and husband watching cuz Joe has to work today and Shel's home with the kids, when the phone rings. I should have pretended like I wasn't home.....

My friend and fellow dog lover Verna called to make sure we were coming to her place tonight for the huge fireworks display, viewable FREE from her parking lot of her company. Yep, we'll be there and look forward to good eats, good conversation and sparklies in the sky. And then the hammer drops. Now Verna is a St. Bernard owner. Her puppies were my Murphy's, babies, or at least he acted like they were. The first time he saw the pups they hung on his tail and would not leave him alone. He loved going to Auntie Verna's to see the pups. When we got Willow, she and Murph both got a big kick out of the other giant dog visitations. When Murph was gone and then Ms. Willow this last March, Verna was the most understanding of friends and let me grieve and love on her dogs. I told her then......"no more, I can't stand the pain of their leaving before me". She has in the insuing months found me lots of "opportunities" to rescue dogs and find another soul mate furry baby and I have turned her down each time......until today.

The beastie was brought to Verna's shop by one of her employess who lives on the Navajo reservation west of Albuquerque. The man's wife said he had to take the dog to town and get rid of her. Verna will have over 100 people at her place tonight, so "Patsy" goes to take a look at the dog...yeah like I thought I would or could away without bringing the dog home. I was hooked at first glance. But SM made me promise that I wouldn't do this again, to him or myself. And here I have broken the promise, the kids are picking out names and I'm up doo doo creek without a paddle.

The only picture I have of "puppy with no name" is after her bath.....damn she's cute. She is about 4 months old, tiny, sweet, a little timid but once she adjusted to Odin and how blond and tall he was (that's my daughter's coyote infused Espanola dog) she is cruisin' like a doglet who knows she is gonna rule the roost. Of course she hasn't met the orange tailless cat from hell yet. She may want to go back to the diesel repair shop and be greasy again.

She is wire haired, beagly colored, pug back ended, with floppy ears and bounces when she propels herself forward. I think we will say that she is a full blooded wire haired adorable. Now we just have to hold the positive thought and hope that she will melt Joe's heart as quickly as she has mine, otherwise, I will be the worsest, meanest, saddest old broad on the block and in our house.

11 comments:

  1. She is so adorable. Don't worry. She can melt anyone's heart.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. aaaaawwwwwww! How could he not melt one's heart!? My sister is just like you...endless parade of animals needing homes, LOL! Tender-hearted women ;) Happy 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How could anyone resist that adorableness?

    ReplyDelete
  4. hahahaha! oh Linda, you always make me laugh! Your'e such a funny lady :-)
    This doggy is the sweetest! I would name her Misty or Muffin, but i guess a lot of dogs has these names huh?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Linda, I can see why you could not say no, she is adorable and looks to be very cuddly. I know after we lost our Josie (a golden retriever) we said no more, then the kids showed up with a 9 week old yellow lab, thus Daisy entered our lives. I don't know what I'd do without her. There is a positive here - she is no where near as big as a Saint Bernard, maybe you can hide her.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Surely neither of you thought you would be held to that promise?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sucker, I know thee well, it is my name!

    Good for you, you soft-heated woman. It is such a relief knowing I am not alone in my inability to say no to sweet puppy eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I WOULD HAVE DONE THE SAME THING LINDA. OOPS, I'M TYPING ALL CAPS BY MISTAKE. SORRY. I THINK IT IS A CUTIE. SHE DEFINITELY IS A LUCKY PERKY LITTLE CUTIE PIE WHO WILL HAVE A WONDERFUL HOME WITH LOTS OF CARE AND LOVE. I LIKE HER. YOU GOT HER ON THE FOURTH OF JULY TOO. YOU RESCUED HER. I WOULD SAY THAT CALLS FOR A CELEBRATION, CALL HER CELEBRITY OR HOW ABOUT TAMALE, OR MAYBE EVEN MENUDO, OR HOW ABOUT HUEVOS CON CHORIZO. TEE HEE. HAVE A GREAT WEEK.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That puppy is the luckiest puppy in the world! The hurt of losing your furbaby will be healed by this sweet baby. Nurturing and loving is our natural way...... a wonderful new addition to the family! Congrats to both of you.....

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my she is a sweetie pie ! I think some of us are just destined to forever be a caregiver ☺ whenever I felt I was ready for a bikini or a job whoops along came another beautiful baby ☺
    does the word mum really mean sucker lol well after our little chihuahua chica passed away . I too did not feel ready but ds for his 13th bday really wanted a husky and try dog sledding . not only am I a sucker we went to see the pups , the home turned out to be a crack house . the dogs were not true huskies .
    well I must have been sucker punched because we came home with two ! I mean you can't have pull a sliegh with just one , right ?
    so now we have two huge lovable mutskies as I call them jack & lizzie . I actually named jack beautiful jack because he had some self confidence issues ☺ he needed a bit of aboost .
    your new little one is so sweet and I'm sure in the end is just what you needed ☺

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh what a face! Promises are important to be sure, but that little gal needed to be rescued because the statement "take the dog to town and get rid of her"? Yeah, I could see a bad ending to that. The fact that SM has the capability of opening his heart to a critter so much that he is afraid to hurt again? I get that. But still, that face, that face...

    word vert: cocyt. Small, helpless dogs are to be cocyt-ed. Win!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you. Thanks for taking the time to comment.