Thursday, August 12, 2010

This week's adventure or How the hell many days is it until school starts?

Sweet Man had Monday and Tuesday off as his weekend. Makes my head spin. I should be more adaptable than this. Maybe it is because I am un well in more than one way.

On Monday, he and I had a very relaxing trip to Santa Fe, went to the International Folk Art Museum (which just underwent extensive renovations) one of my all time favorites, up on Museum Hill, after which we drove across Santa Fe, not an easy task, but you'd have to experience to believe it, to Tomasita's at the Railyard for lunch. I have lived here all my life and love chile. Not chili mind you but chile. Red and Green, Christmas on all dishes of "mexican" food. But not everyone prepares northern New Mexican cuisine. It is different than southern New Mexican cuisine. In N. NM we eat our sopapillas, or sofa pillows as my daughter used to say as a kid, with our meals. In Las Cruces, S. NM if you ask for sopapillas with your meal they look at you like you have lost your mind. And they serve them with powdered sugar for goodness sake......oh my. (Georgina is reading this and saying yeah so what)

Anyway back to the chile. I have only had my favorite red chile at two locations in NM. The first was at my Auntie Maria's kitchen table and the other is at Tomasita's in Santa Fe. It made my heart sing. I had the best stuffed Sopa with spicy meat and refritos, with white cheese and Christmas on the side. I order my chile on the side so that I can pick my poison. No use in messing up a wonderful entree with the wrong chile. Both the red and green were fabulouso. Muy sabroso.


On Tuesday, we took the kids to the Jemez Mts. to show them where we used to camp when their Mom was small and to the Valle Calderas.

It is the "remains" of a huge volcano. The floor of the caldera is now the most glorious mountain meadow with all the flora of a typical meadow at almost 7000 ft. On the way up to the Caldera the kids saw their first quaking aspen, waded in Soda Dam (sulpur infused water, yikes), forded the Jemez Springs at San Antonio camp grounds, climbed huge boulders at Horseshoe springs, visited Jemez Pueblo and came home tired, dirty, stinky and hopefully a little more New Mexico savvy.


On the way we stopped to eat at a hole in the wall restaurant at the Elk Mountain turn off. Ry could not get it into his head that the things hanging on the wall were not moose anklers. No I did not mispell that. He kept saying "anklers" and just couldn't understand that the photos of the beautiful creatures were Elk not Moose.


By that time in the trip, I gave up. We had already had a battle of epic proportion about snakes and bugs and things that go rustle in the grass. I feel so bad for Ry. We have made huge strides as far as his fears (given to him by example by he who cannot be named) are concerned. He ran through the grasses and up onto a big ole rock and then heard a beetle of some sort clicking....he was sure it was a ratttlesnake. A hummingbird whizzed past his head being curious and he was sure it was a bat...in the daylight????? But he left his brain right there when he jumped off the boulder to save himself from the bird. I know that because shortly after that he was wading in the water, and completely missed the garter snakes that were sunning on rocks close by, didn't even see the little fish swimming near him and didn't spot the huge dragonflies having a fiesta above his little blonde head. GK got the "shut it" information in sign language and let him be. He had a ball. That is until we had a casual conversation about fish going to the bathroom in the water he had just been in.....then you would have thought he was going to die of fish pee poisoning......LMAO.


Gerea's best part of this whole adventure was the hidden pool she found and explored......at length, width and depth. She said it was a place where the forest fairies gathered and that she would love to stay there forever. It was quite enchanting and it was very hard to get either one of them to come along and continue the adventure.

5 comments:

  1. Oh my!! Ya'll had a veeery good time there :-)
    I really want to come over and visit you some day! If i finally sell some of my stuff, i put it in my madhat and save it for the journey to my precious omafriend and her little cuties!
    And thank you for your more than kind words on my Castlefest post :-O
    I'm sure gonna see you ones in my life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is some beautiful countryside. I would love a trip to those mountains.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. What fun!


    I know my daughter is ready for school to start and I'm pretty sure her kids are too judging by the meltdown at her house right before I left for my installation. (They live next door to the city house) I called my daughter on my way out to give her a heads up. "Things are starting to come apart at your house" I told her. "I know" she says, "I'm two minutes away." Later I asked one of the kids if their mom got things settled. "Yeah" she said, "she came home and yelled at all of us".

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yea, so what!!! hahahahahahaha!!! Girl, those folks up there in N. NM don't prepare Mexican "cuisine" like we do down here in ol' El Piso..er, El Paso, TX!!!! When I was a kid, my mother made them when it snowed, so needless to say, she didn't prepare them all that much!!! But she would sprinkle cinnamon sugar with honey and melted pilonsillo !!! I refuse to eat pilonsillo, but melted in honey on a hot sopapilla....HEAVEN!!! We beaners down here in West TX and S. NM eat REAL Mexican food!!! hahahahahahaha!! Sorry, couldn't resist....just had to put in my digs on those Northern NM's. You say, beaners is beaners by any other name...nope, we come in all different sizes, shapes, colours and pallets. Someday remind me to tell you the story of of when I was a kid and we went to my grandparent's house in Juarez (now N. Mexico's killing field) and how my grandfather's cousin, from Vera Cruz, Mex. made the whole family tamales made with banana leaves...I ended up having to apologize to everyone in the house for making my sister, brother and 2 cousins throw-up after making a very frank comment about the said tamales' contents in Spanish!!!

    BTW, love Santa Flush!!! Great place to get your fill of art, uppity tourists and great food....oh the bakeries...a MUST!!!!

    Love and Cabrito besos,
    G

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely magic pool. I can see why they were reluctant to leave. That is a kid paradise! What a beautiful, meaningful trip to enjoy with your loved ones...lucky lady.....

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you. Thanks for taking the time to comment.