Monday, November 22, 2010

Cotton ball holiday trees, toasted marshmallows and a wish..........

It's not long until we will put up our holiday trees. Hope to have the decorating done by Friday night. That way I can clear out the boxes and still have room to play with the grands while they are on winter break.



This year we will be selecting the gnome tree for the breakfast room and the Mexicana tree for the living room. But when GK and I were checking out blogdom last week we found that Ms. Vanessa at A Fanciful Twist http://afancifultwist.typepad.com/a_fanciful_twist/2010/11/cotton-ball-christmas-trees-.html had done a fun project with ordinary old cotton balls and glitter and who can resist that combination so here is how we took her idea and created our own.


My house now sparkles everywhere but what the heck. We had fun.

And now to give credit to someone who aided us in a very sucessful indoor campout in September. first Skippy Mom of I Make Soap http://skippymom.blogspot.com/2010/11/starbcks-hostage-situation-day-3.html for sending us the Traveling Tent. Then Ms. Kate of Framed had a recipe for Toasted Marshmallow shakes http://framed-mylifeonepictureatatime.blogspot.com/2010/09/toasted-marshmallow-shakesand-crush.html and we made them and yum........but it takes awhile for the ice cream to get soft enough to blend with the marshmallows and we are into instant gradification here at Casa de Cuckoo. So being the enabler of fun that I try to be, I made up a concoction to top the ice cream (and then I found it at the grocery pre made, but what the heck). So was born:
Toasted Marshmallow Ice Cream topping.

1 bag of large marshmallows (broil and turn and broil the other side)
1 can Eagle brand sweeten condensed milk
2 - 3 Tablespoons sour cream
combine all ingredients in a food processor and blend until semi smooth. You'll never get all the chunks of toasted marshmallows creamed. Refrigerate after use but beware, you will need to zap it in the microwave before the next use because it reverts back to goooooooooooooey.

My whole house smelled like toasted marshmallows for hours and I'm telling you all that is a darned good smell. Wish I could fine a candle in that scent, but then the kids would think I'd fixed it again. BTW, I'm a goose and it's a brand new day but I never would have thought of using the oven for toasting marshmallows but they are fabuuuuuuuu. They blow up huge and then when cooled shrink down from the original size and are a little crunchy on the outside. I always hated the burned taste of fire roasted ones but these....oh yummers.

And last but not least....check out these cute cookie candy creations.


And now my wish....I wish you a pleasant turkey day filled with everything that you hope for and a cleanup crew of faeries to make your day an easy one as well.

10 comments:

  1. How comfy you are making everything. This is the best time of the year, especially when one's life is filled with joy and love. Thanks for sharing your treasures of love. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Linda,

    Here's a link to information on the parade down south:

    http://www.belen-nm.gov/promotions/Christmas_in_Belen2010.htm

    You can have your decorating done Friday night and make it to the parade on Saturday! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. How cute everything looks, my monsters will love putting these together.... Glitter just adds to the holidays.... LOL! Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think even I could do that cotton ball thing. I can't have a tree due to an idiot cat I have who can't tell a real tree attached to the ground from one sitting in a tree stand. He climbs both.
    As for marshmallows, I am one of those who delights in burning hers. Sorry.
    Those turkeys are soo cute.

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a magical place your grandkids are growing up in.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The cottonball trees are amazingly cool. The marshmallows sound yummy and the turkey cookies are so adorable. What did you use for the faces? It might be fun to make these for the grands for Thanksgiving. If I can get to the store I just might but we have lots of ice and snow today and I am not driving in it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. All it took was you mentioning Eagle Brand Condensed Milk, and I was copying and pasting!! I'm going to send this to Andria so she can share it with her little guys, who I miss terribly.

    As for those cotton ball trees, I remember making them when my kids were little. I was the uber room mother and always looking for fun stuff to do with the little chicks in my charge...that one was from a Family Circle or Women's Day...I think I still have it in my old file of stuff to do with kids.

    Met these people from Roswell the other day at the best art show in this damn town and they were a hoot...they told me to try out for the show for next year and put my stand right next to there's...meaning, this would spell big trouble!! LOL Why do all the really fun people I know live in NM????? grrrrr!!

    Have a great Turkey Day to you and all the fam.

    Loves ya and the goats swearing off of turkey this year!!

    G

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love everything! I think I may have to try making one of those trees.
    XO

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love these little cotton ball trees! I saw them on Vanessa's site too...yours turned out beautifully!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you. Thanks for taking the time to comment.