Monday, November 1, 2010

Oh you gotta do a dumb dinner with children........

It is my pleasure in life to introduce all persons within an arms length of me to all kinds of things, adventures, rigamaroll and different ways of looking at life. I don't think everyone has to view things the same way I do, but why cut yourself off from an opportunity to see things from a different perspective. You might like the view, or discover it just ain't for you. And whatever your decision....I'm still gonna love ya and hope the best for you.

When I was in 6th grade, my teacher Mrs. Stein, who was the best teacher in the entire world in my humble opinion, also immersed us in many cultures, celebrations, and religious customs. Remember I was a child in the 50's before people lost their minds and thought that the more knowledge you had the less you would be able to be controlled by the man. Anyway, we celebrated so many different holidays and learned so much about other places and people. I was captivated by the thought that different folks did things differently. You know what that spawns......tolerance. oh goodness forbid.

Sooooooooo, we as a family have celebrated Samhain and had our mini bonfire for the last few years but never had a "dumb dinner"...until tonight. Please remember I have a grandson with ADHD and Asperger's. That means he never shuts his yap. So when I said we were gonna eat our meal in silence, so that if our "guests" (those that have passed over the Rainbow bridge) had something to say to us or give us a sign, we could hear them, all the rest of the somebodies in my house looked at me like I had lost my mind. But Ry ate in silence and was very attentive to his surroundings. No giggling, no loss of concentration, and alot of enthusiasm. Sometimes we don't give him enough credit....he knows when to be serious and he just loves learning.....cute as a bug. When we began to talk again, he just smiled and was so happy with his achievement. Then he wanted to know if we had to have dumb dessert too. tee hee

Life is full of fun and happy surprises if you are willing to be open to what's right there within reach. We reached tonight and had a delightful dinner together as a family.

6 comments:

  1. Awwww.... I love this. You make life such fun for those beautiful children.
    ♥ audrey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for him. Tell you what, there's a guy i work right next to he could teach a lot to, is he available for tutorials? :oD

    ReplyDelete
  3. awesome! I work with kids who have aspergers sometimes- and most of them are very captivating- their brains seem to always be switched on (maybe even in overdrive). I wishg I could talk boyfriend into eating a meal sans TV.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ry is a smart guy!!!!
    I hope you gave him a huge dessert!

    Hope you all are doing great!
    LOTS of love
    Becky

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you. Thanks for taking the time to comment.