Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Drat....I didn't see the moon hide in the earth's shadow but...


I do know how to make fire jump higher and make wonderful story pictures in the flames. This "recipe" for fire magic is a simple one and yet.........it is quick remarkable in the response from the participants around a fire. If you are lucky enough to be able to have an outdoor fire then this is for you. I would not recommend use of this inside because there is a residue of sorts.

The recipe is: 3 parts sugar to 1 part flour. I add glitter in the mix for good measure. When you throw about a tablespoon on a fire that it going well the flames will increase and depending on the wood used will change color. It is not one of those things that the flame will follow the trail of the fire magic powder. It just changes the intensity of the flames.

We have a propane fire pit and since there is nothing except the non flamable perlite chips there is always a delicious smore's smell to the addition of the fire magic powder. When we have used it when camping on a pine log fire, the flames turned more blue and purple......it is so much fun with all of us kids.

Brrrrrrrrrrrr cold. We sat outside on zero gravity recliners and blankets and a "fake fire" last night watching the moon start to eclipse. When the clouds rolled in we took for the house.....well really it was because my teeth were chattering and I couldn't stop. Brrrrrrr again.

Happy Yule my lovelies and keep warm and dry.

7 comments:

  1. Oh, I can't wait to try your fire magic. How fun is that?! I wasn't able to see the eclipse last night either and I must admit, you way of waiting for it was much more fun then mine. Happy Yule!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, how cool! I wish I'd had this last night as we sat around our fire pit, sipping warming beverages and enjoying what we could of the eclipse! I'm going to mix some up for our next venture out, though! Yule Blessings to you and yours, Linda :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. We didn't have clouds so Miss Squirrel woke up and met me to watch, but you aren't kidding - that was some cold shtuff to be standing out in. Brrrr. Do like the way you set up yours tho'.

    There are some gorgeous pictures at Washingtonpost.com of the eclipse over the Washington monument.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fire magic--who knew? I'm hanging on to this one for nights around the campfire--when we get to an area where fires are allowed. Drought conditions here in Florida, unfortunately.

    word vert: calictic. Supercalicticfragilisticexpialidocious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My brother is an RV camper and lives by the campfire. Can't wait to tell him.
    Sorry your got clouded out. We started out cloudy so I passed on the experience.
    Best ever wishes for the Holiday and for a delightful New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cool, I will try that at our next fire. I have also put pennies in a fire, which give you wonderful colors, and if you can find it Borax is also a fun one to try.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Keep warm my buttuty!! It's nothin' but friggin' warm here!!! LOLOLOLOL Love the fire recipe...going to send it to my girl so she can have some fun with my little guys!!

    If I don't get a chance, sending you and the whole fam-damily mucho cheers and good vibes for this Christmas....and into the next year. Maybe we can do an Albuquerque trip in 2011...from my lips to God's ears!!

    Loves ya mucho and the goats are enjoying their tamales!!

    G

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you. Thanks for taking the time to comment.