Monday, December 13, 2010

Okay now, back away from the fudge and nobody will get hurt......

When I married Sweet Man, I knew how to cook 4 things, brownies, scrambled eggs, toast and fudge. My Mother worked outside the home and was always, always in a hurry to cook and be through with it, so I never learned from her. The only thing she taught me to make was fudge. Not the kind with the marshmallow creme and she never used a candy thermometer. She did it by the way the sugar looked and a glass with water for the soft or hard ball stage. At Christmas time I make chocolate fudge, peanut butter fudge, burnt sugar fudge, rocky road fudge and caramel pecan (turtle) fudge.
not my photo but sure looks good
Needless to say, I had to learn to cook because you can't live on brownies and fudge for ever with only a side of toast and eggs. So SM became my teacher. He is the oldest of 8 kids, worked in food service in the hospital and institutional (assembly plants, etc) settings. Of course his recipes were for oh........500 people sometimes, conversion is not easy when it's only 2 people eating. But through all this, I learned to read recipes, experiment with spices, taught myself what would go with what and so after almost 40 years of cooking and baking I feel pretty okay about what comes out of the kitchen for breakfast, lunch and dinner but I really rock it when it comes to candy making. Sweet Man likes my divinity but I only fix that for his birthday. Shelley likes peanut butter fudge best. The kids.....well whatever is on the platter but they kinda like the chocolate covered cherry bites. And my favorite is not fudge at all but pralines.

And in order to be ready, I need to start the great candy caper tomorrow.
yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Thanks Mom for teaching me about candy making.

16 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness. Fudge is my favorite treat at Christmas and your many varieties sound divine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. must..not...add...fudge...to...the...list...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never learned to make good fudge. That last one up there looks scrumptious. I want to learn to make good fudge. Some day I will. Have fun Linda.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never learned how to make a good fudge....I make about eighteen different kinds of cookies at christmas time- but fudge is always a disaster...so I will sit here and drool over your pictures!! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another thing in common, I make fudge for holiday gifts too. I personally don't see a thing wrong with living on brownies, fudge, toast and scrambles eggs - all of these are favorite eats!

    ReplyDelete
  6. THE candy does look delicious, but I am trying to stick to vegetables and fruit.....but with much difficulty. don't work too hard. take care.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh how funny. When I got married, all I knew how to make was veal chop suey. That was it. At first my husband was impressed but after a week of no change, he suggested I spend time with my MIL.
    Had I known how to make such yummy fudge, pretty sure MIL and I would have not gotten together so soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah? What about pralines? Can you make those? My one attempt was dismal but I have a buttload of pecans. We could probably work a deal...pecans for pralines? Oh and I'd be glad to remove the fudge from your temptation. Just send it on over.

    ReplyDelete
  9. ~now i have only had the marshmellow kind and never knew there was another way...its the only way my mother made it...now you have me curious...how does one make fudge in another fashion...the great candy caper...i wonder wonder what this may be...sounds like a perfectly sweet kind of day ahead for you...warm wishes and brightest blessings~

    ReplyDelete
  10. I never learned how to make fudge, but now you've got me over here drooling and craving some of the chocolate peanut butter variety.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The fudge looks fabulous and your post is hilarious! Thanks for another laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My late husbands oldest sister (also passed away) made fudge the same way you mentioned. With a glass with water. I've tried fudge from lots of different candy stores and country shops and none came close to hers. That women could bake! Have fun. I can smell it from here.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Alas, cooking and baking are not at the top of my list of favorite things to do. I have the greatest regard for anyone who loves to do those things and I can appreciate the work that goes into it. I would be delighted to eat your scrambled eggs, toast and fudge anytime, Linda!!!
    Great post and great looking fudge!! YUM!
    ♥ audrey

    ReplyDelete
  14. My aunt always made fudge for Christmas--rich, chocolate-y fudge made the "eyeball" way. My attempts were always sugar crystal grainy so I gave up. Your fudge sounds wonderful. *drooling*

    word vert: porens. I could tell when I was porens the hot fudge into the pan that it wasn't going to be right. Score!

    ReplyDelete
  15. My tummy says yes yes yes....but my ass says no no no ; O

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gram made lots and lots and lots of fudge every year at this time...as she aged and things became more difficult, I would help her ...I had forgotten (you know how it is when someone has been gone for a while)...anyway, the other day I saw fudge in the store...had to make some...it's sitting on the counter uneaten...I know if I start, I'll eat the entire pan...maybe tonight??

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you. Thanks for taking the time to comment.