Thursday, January 27, 2011

Have you ever heard the saying......??

The longer I live with my grands the more I realize that we are from different realities. That's to be expected. I'm not a goose. I do realize that they will have totally different adulthood than what I have had. I also know that they have not a clue what the world was like before they came along.
In the past couple of weeks, I have been "arting" more and "computering" less which has lent itself to just talking and listening more with the grands. And I have to admit, I must do that more often. It's obvious to those that know us that we have together time but not like just sit back and let them tell their tales time. I have learned so many interesting things about the ways of the schoolyard, classroom and a child's life.

Conversely, they have had more "stories" about when I was their ages. It's funny how they have requests for the same story to be told and retold at this age and in a few short years they will be telling me....uh, Oma, we've heard this story many, many times. I know cuz, Shelley does that to Sweet Man. He is so cute and does have some pretty amazing stories to tell that we have all heard a million times.
So, it is not surprising that the vernacular used by the skipped generation crowd here at Casa de Cuckoo is like two foreign languages. Sorta like what the Spanish speaking peoples of the rest of the world say about the Spanish that is spoken here in New Mexico........spanglish.

This morning, Ry was being more animated than normal (no, no surely not) and I said as an admonition to his behavior....."Boy, I'd cool it if I were you, so you don't get your butt in a wringer". And he thought I was talking about some amusement park ride. I got on line and showed the two of them what a wringer was. Comment from the younger crowd...."wow, good thing someone invented the dryer huh". They are a little vague on the concept of laundry huh. Even an explanation as to how this worked didn't seem to make sense to them.
When you think about it, kids who have always had TV, computers, cellphones, instant communication almost everywhere on the planet would and do have a difficult time understanding why anyone would not have had a TV much less color TV in the '50's, why anyone would hand write a letter, or what a party line telephone was or what in the world was a typewriter???? But the differences sure make for some fun sharing time. Albeit a little confusing on both of our parts. I have to ask what a word means in the "now" talk, cuz it sure doesn't mean what it used to in most cases.

I would love to have an glimpse in the future time capsule so I could see what the grands will have that their kids or grandkids will question them on. Life is a joy to share, yes?

11 comments:

  1. Oh, what memories. I remember our first phone...a party line. Used to pick it up and someone else would be in the middle of a conversation so we'd have to wait to make our call. But, that was okay. We were more patient back then.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. I left a pager number with my grandmother once so that she could reach me if she needed to...she could not understand it...I told her to just call the number and I would call her back...times change...as do comment verification...sorry, didn't realize I had on the nasty word verification...someone should have told me before...I just want simple...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its crazy to think about how much as changed in such a short time. We don't even have a land line & only use the cell. My girls don't even know what a cordless phone is! My 9 year old doesn't remember when we had one. I wonder whats next & what life will be when their grown?

    ReplyDelete
  4. My dad, he's just 63 years old,don't have a computer and don't want one. He has a cellphone,but don't know how to send an sms and don't know how to read them. He goed to the USA almost every year to find 50ties and 60ties stuff. He drives an oldtimer car. His house looks like an antique store. He wish time stood still when he was in his 20ties.
    My sisters 10 year old daughter knows more about computers than i do...
    and so on...
    xoxo Donna

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ya suppose he will tell his grands about the time people actually had to take clothes out of a dryer( what is a "dryer" grandpa?). You are right, that would be a fun conversation to evesdrop on.
    Enjoy and be glad you have portable updaters to keep you current.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, Linda, life is a joy! I think it's funny how words are used differently today. Like BAD. How can something good be "totally bad"? haha
    My dream is to one day have a grandchild (or two) and see the world through their eyes.
    The hearts arrived today. THEY ARE BEAUTIFUL!!!! I LOVE THEM!!! Thank you for the darling "little" one. SO sweet!!
    Give GK a hug from me, ok?
    ♥ audrey

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good post. When I first lived here we had no phone at all and then moved up to a phone with a party line. We still don't get cell phone service here, too far out. Yep, that's me, far out. Man.

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh Linda I love hearing about the grands. It's so funny hearing their reactions to things from our past. My sons make comments all the time about things and with the 'bringing back' of the turntables and vinyl, they are like you have no idea how cool Mom and I am like OMG you have no clue how many records I had at your ages and they look at me like I have 3 heads! LMAO
    Blessings,
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope that, assuming I ever have any, (huge hints to my kids nearly daily) I will have such an honest and loving relationship with my grands as you do yours. I also hope they are as wonderful as yours.

    ReplyDelete
  10. [T]he movie is also first-rate. The direction is the key. Friedkin has made some good movies ... and some bad ones. This is his comeback, showing the depth and skill of the early pictures.” Newsweek magazine’s David Ansen wrote, “Shot with gritty flamboyance by Robby Muller, cast with a fine eye for fresh, tough-guy faces, To Live and Die in L.A. may be fake savage, but it's fun.” In his review for the Globe and Mail, Jay Scott wrote, “Pity poor Los Angeles: first the San Andreas fault and now this. The thing about it is, To Live and Die in L.A., for all its amorality and downright immorality, is a cracker-jack thriller, tense and exciting and unpredictable, and more grimy fun than any moralist will want it to be.”

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm going through the opposite of that. As you already know, my mother moved to the US a few months ago. We still going through things like: finding all the doctors she requires (and likes), explaining to her that my 25+ year-old brother won't tell her at what time he'll be home, explaining to her that I have my own life and that even if she things that I should go to medical school, my studies, and become a psychiatrist, I won't do it. She doesn't think writing is a respectable career because during her days writers didn't make any money (not much have changed). She wants me to be her and doesn't get that I'll always be me.

    If you get that time capsule, do share it. I want to go and be 20 or 30 with my mother. Maybe we'll figure each other out.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you. Thanks for taking the time to comment.