Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Countdown to Oz ...... day 10

"But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking don't they?" This remarkably accurate statement was voiced by the Scarecrow when Dorothy asked him how he could talk without having a brain.
My favorite targets upon whom I cast aspersions about being brainless are the news media.

I never cease to be amazed how people behind a microphone or in front of a camera can talk out of the butts and it's their mouths that are moving.....must be ventriloquism. I know....how rude, right? But news and facts have very little to do with each other any more.....I don't know if they ever did.

I guess opinion and saying that something is news worthy probably are more suited to fit together. There are so many examples but why bother. You all, I'm sure, have your top ten stories of shame that we have watched unfold only to find out that ......... hmmmm the "facts" weren't what they said the facts were.

That's why I dwell in the shadow land of let's find something happy to be involved in or do, instead of living totally on a diet or on the serving of blarney served up each and every day by the self important sayers of doom and gloom.

Many years ago, I gave up being addicted to "having to know" by watching the news or reading the newspaper. I prefer the I'm a goose and it's a brand new day approach to learning of the doom that is impending. Saves on my manicure because I don't have to bite my nails.

And that's usually when I want to break out in a chorus of "if I only had a brain". I think it was Zig Ziglar in one of his super sales tapes that used the phrase "garbage in, garbage out". That's when we limited our watching of "stupid, bad taste, no intrinsic value TV". I don't know, maybe it just makes us ill informed but I refuse to waste time worrying about things that may or may not be true, happen or are pertinent to my life.

I realize this is single minded but then....I only have one.

6 comments:

  1. I say Bravo! to you...I stopped watching tv almost two years ago, with the exception of a couple of taped shows(to skip through ads). I do read the newspaper daily, but am very selective in the reading of it. I like my brain too much to stuff it full of garbage!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. Wow you have a lot of blogs signed up for your Celebrate Oz...how terrific!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I'm the same way. don't read the newspaper, don't watch the news. It only makes me feel sick. So here's to the ill-informed but happy people!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The news makes my stomach hurt. I can't watch it. Even the newspaper overwhelms me sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LindaOma,i guess you didn't see my newest creation Jodie yet? You're always the 1st who comment...and i sure miss you :-(

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm with you on this one. I stopped following the news about 15 years ago and I understand it's only gotten worse (fact vs. opinion) since then. As for TV, we gave up our cable subscription almost 2 years ago, joined Netflix (for $8 a month!) and have never looked back! The lack of talking heads and repetitive ads telling me to buy stuff I don't need has done wonders for my outlook and stress levels. Especially around any election time!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you. Thanks for taking the time to comment.