Saturday, March 5, 2011

Countdown to OZ ...... day 13

Don't forget that Magaly Guererro is starting her trilogy entitled "Sad, Stiff & Shrunk" today to CELEBRATE OZ.



"It's not a place where you can get to by a boat or train. It's far, far away. Behind the moon, beyond the rain."

What is it that calls us from the other side of the rainbow? As a kid, I always wanted to find that pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. I was sure that it was possible and a practical thought. It had to end and begin somewhere. And so one day I set out walking towards the biggest rainbow I had seen thus far. Of course before long the sun changed, or the clouds moved, or the moisture in the air depleted and there was no rainbow to be found......and I had no idea where I was.

I must have walked for 30 to 45 minutes. I was not in a neighborhood I had ever been in before but for some reason, I was not scared. I knew someone would help me find my way home. The blind faith of a child. Whatever it was, I walked up to the first house I came to and knocked on the door, which was open. An older woman (probably much younger than I am now) came to the door and said something but it was in Spanish and I didn't speak Spanish, except the dinner table setting pieces, numbers and my name. But you know, it worked. We communicated. She helped me find my way home. My brother gave her a ride home from our house once we got there.

Now here comes the, "oh sure Linda" part. The older Spanish woman had on a pink bathrobe, and her hair was up in curlers and a white hair net. Are you there with me yet? I sure wish she had had a silver spatula or something  in her hand when she came to the door and the story would be perfect. tee heee
She was my very own latina Glinda.......she helped me find my way home. So when I watch the WOZ film I think, yeah I visited OZ when I was a kid and it wasn't all that far away.

7 comments:

  1. You must have been bitten by a very wise poetic bug. What wonderful quote and even better tale. Isn't it great how we connect to others regardless of how improbable it might seem or how different we might be? People are always talking about the atrocities that afflict the world. I think if they paid a bit of attention they would notice that the amount of goodness is just as huge, and much more enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too was convinced about the pot of gold and often tried to find it. Rainbows evaporated and I never saw a good witch. Your tale is much better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a delightful post!

    I almost forgot to go back to the post again...I have probably written comments that have never gotten through.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE THIS STORY!! I believe she may have had a silver spatula too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Getting really excited the closer it gets.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful memory! Perhaps it was Glinda in disguise. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. *Linda, I hope you have a good Sunday, too. I'm sure you are excited about your Oz Celebration nearing. ♥

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you. Thanks for taking the time to comment.