Friday, April 8, 2011

Makes you kinda wonder................

7 years ago today I was sorta sad. Now this is a confession from my heart. It is not made to hurt anyone's feelings or say that I am not happy about the outcome now. But being honest, I can say, I was a little sad about the birthing of my second grandchild.
Ry
First reason was that GereaKaye was not going to be an only anymore, but I had been doing the party line selling of how grand it was going to be a "big sister", knowing full well at some point in time that song and dance was going to run thin in meaning. What I am surprised about is that really has not been the case until recently. They are each other's worst enemy and best friend. She is the best big sister in the world and would drown him if given enough water some days......so yeah, they're normal.

Second reason was because I knew I was not going to have the same relationship with this new one that I had had with GK. I had been afforded the luxury of having GK to myself all day from birth to almost 3 years old. Little did I know that would be less than I had ever imagined. Until the kids moved into our home July of 09, I had never kept Ry overnight or had him for more than an hour. I barely knew him two years ago. And now, well I am ashamed of myself for ever thinking he wasn't gonna be the bestest grand boy and heart melter in the whole wide world. I have no idea what my life would be without him in it, teaching me, just like his sister does. Grands are life's best life lesson instructors.

Third reason and this is the biggie. I really didn't know if I could do it again. Oh, not the grandmothering thing.....the watching my daughter go through labor again. The first time with GK was the hardest thing I have ever done. It was like having your brain twisted in two directions all at one time. Cheering for the baby coming and cursing the pain involved....but with your child in the lead role. GK was induced and was not in any hurry to come out. I think she held on and just said "no, you can't make me" for hours. The main reason for the induction was for the convenience of Shelley's doctor because he was leaving town for 10 days. So I don't think GK was really ready to make her entrance. Be that as it may she was born 050500. That makes her a Taurus and a Dragon.
GK
Luckily Ry, was not as stubborn. When the push came to shove part....he was there. What an entrance....he looked bright eyed and bushy tailed and ready to get up and go........ta dah. We went to the hospital in the afternoon and the next morning there he was. Joe and I went home early in the morning to sleep and I woke up thinking how uneventful that had been, never even putting a date to it.

We met my sister and her family there at the hospital later in the day and it was then that I realized that my grandson had been born on 040904. He is an Aries and a Monkey. He also stole my birthday......much to my delight. I tell everyone, he was born on my birthday and I haven't had one since.

20 comments:

  1. You gave yours to him...how grandmotherly of you...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember my mother's face as she witnessed my giving birth 8.5lbs. of Ian with no narco help (not my choice)!! LOL She was taking a quick walk towards the door when he finally made his entrance into the world, 9-23-85 @ approx. 3:38 p.m. Her heart just melted away when I handed him into her arms just minutes after his birth. She later told me she was falling apart watching me go through so much pain without a peep coming out of me...she said she wanted to scream for me!! LOL

    I told her it was her statement she said several years before when I was a teeny-bopper. She said there was no dignity in giving birth, so it was necessary to maintain some type of control and decorum!! Ahhh, the didn't work for Andria!! LOL

    Andria, who had a dose of darvasette (sp) and the drugs from the epidural, still moaned, cried and complained. I was trying to study for a geology final but between all her whining and carrying on, it was almost impossible!! Once it was time for Sean to make his entracne, 5-4-00, the doc turned the juice off her epidural and she noticed it...said she was feeling pain...about time, sweetie...after 9.13 lbs. of giving birth to you with no drugs (not my choice), FEEL THE BURN!!!!!! The doc asked her then hubby, Andrew, and me to hold her legs back & off to one side...kidding, I told Andrew to make a wish....she was not amused and told me to do something sexual to myself!!! LOLOLOL That was the only really eventful birth of 3 of my grandson's births..wasn't there for the 4th. Ok, the birth of my second grandie was pretty harrowing...he was an 8.5 lb. preemie, born a month ahead of time, and was in the NICU for 2 weeks. He was this huge baby boy, heaving for air.

    Well, Happy Birthday, Viega Loca and to the ever sweet Ry!

    Loves ya and the goats send their Happy Baaaathday!!
    G

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday to the both of you! I have lots of grands and they all came into this world in different ways, some easy some hard. The most memorable one was when my daughter's then hubby could not make it back from his job in Nevada in time and they told me to come in the operating room for the cesarean, Now I have to say seeing them cut my daughter open and a head popping up out of her stomach was quite unsettling to say the least but they the nurse put my oldest grandson into my arms and I melted.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Linda! Just stopped in to wish you a Happy Birthday and many many more! Yay, lets have cake and ice cream.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday to you both! I loved reading this birtday blog...In November I will become a Grammy for the first time...my son and his wife live in the outskirts of Miami and I live in Connecticut...I hope to get there a week before she is due...but as you all know...babies come n their own time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember well our 1st grandchild. I was 36, our daughter was 16 and with no other support, her mother and I found ourselves in the delivery room watching our daughter give birth. Not quite the way I had expected to enter grandparenthood. Nonetheless, she(the granddaughter) was a joy and many more have followed. We now stand at a full dozen grandkids with one of our 5 children yet to reproduce. If he can get off his butt and get busy, we hope he will produce one more grandchild, giving us a Bakers Dozen!!! Then we're done! You should see our house at Thanksgiving and Chrismahannahkwanzika!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy birthday Linda. What a wonderful post.
    I was with my daughter for the birth of two of her children. That really is some experience and not something you forget. My grandkids are all grown now and out in the world living their lives in whatever way they choose and it just isn't the same as when they were wee ones and I could be the good granny. I miss it most at holidays. Cherish this time with them cause it goes by so fast.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wishing you and Ry a very happy birthday, Linda. I loved this post. So vividly beautiful and full of insight. You have a style of prose that gets right to the heart of matters in a way that is touching yet direct. I always enjoy my visits. May all your wishes bring happiness and fulfillment.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Birthday to both you and Ry!!! What a lovely gift to be given on your birthday!
    Love, hugs and birthday kisses!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Birthday!!! What a treat to share a Birthday with a little one so special! I am jealous..we have no grandkids..maybe someday. We did have a couple of grand Hamsters but only the wheel is left now...ah well. Enjoy your Birthday!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy birthday to you both! <3

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Birthday to you and Ry. That sharing alone makes him special. Had to laugh at the sibling relationship.
    Think that first grand child attachment is pretty normal. At least my sisters seem to follow the same script and now are gushing about the second with equal enthusiasm.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a double blessing to have your own "soul mate" as a grandbaby! I don't think my son is going to have his own children for a LONG time (knock on wood) but I can totally understand the sweet happiness and sadness that you felt about your daughter and the grandbabies. May you and Ry have a birthday year full of wonders, magick and many happy times together, Linda : )

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy birthday to the both of you! What a memorable day.........

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy belated Birthday Ryleigh and Linda!
    I couldn't say it on time,cause i was in Volendam(a fishermans village) for 2 days with my mother. I'm gonna put some pictures on my blog ok? xoxo Donna

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy birthday to you both. I love your honesty!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Just a quick note to tell you the html for your button does work. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy birthday to both of you. have a great weekend:)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy, Happy Birthday to you, Oma Linda and to Ry.

    With much love,

    Justina, Don, Enzi, Kassie, Kike, Suni, Whisky, Bernard, Ellsworth, Fergus, Nigel, Patrick, Meggie, Leland, Abigail, Momma and Baby Boy. xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  20. Well you have to admit it was a hell of a birthday pressie, your daughter was never going to top that one ;o)

    Hope you both had a fab day

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you. Thanks for taking the time to comment.