Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Ry and I have a favor to ask of you...............

I am going to try to keep this as short as possible, but it will be hard. I follow a lovely blog Morning Bray Farm, they are right here in Albuquerque and have a herd of Donkeys that are adorable and Justina and Don make their adventures with the donks and dogs and wildlife so interesting. It is one of the 4 can't do without reads for the kiddos before going to school every day.

Not long ago, Justina shared a sad story about an abused donkey that she passed by on her way to work. The people who owned him were using him for a stand in for a cow in roping. Donkeys can suffer all kinds of injuries being used for this purpose. The poor little fellow just sat...so sad and pathetic looking. On Saturday upon passing that poor donkey, they saw the people were there and stopped. Morning Bray bought the donkey that day and found out that these "humans" had not only used him for roping, but did a home job of castration, weren't feeding him equine food but rather he got what was left by the cows.
They brought the donkey home to heaven also known as Morning Bray Farms and gave him his name and forever home. They named this sweet abused critter Patrick.

Well, Patrick became the topic of conversation at our house before he ever got a name. Ry identified with the little sad donkey. Said he knew how it felt to be alone (autism) and no one knew what he wanted. This donkey gave Ry words that he could speak about his own heart, his own suffering. He would worry about Patrick to his teachers during the day. So much so that they asked who this child was that was being so mistreated and bound up with rope? Most days before the bringing home to MBF I really didn't know I could cry as much as I was crying for Ry. Now mind you it was mixed tears of joy and sorrow. Ry will always feel different and nothing anyone does for him will change that but he was able to use his feelings about Patrick to verbalize his own story. Ry is surrounded by adults who would fight to the death for him. Sweet and sour, hot and cold, wet and dry....that's how this time before Patrick was saved, felt.

When Patrick got rescued, Ry was over the moon. He drew this picture of the five donkey brothers, Bernard, Ellsworth, Fergus, Nigel and Patrick. He began to talk about Patrick as though he was a superhero. This was a sad, sitting down donkey who had been helped to overcome his plight by being given a wonderful new life. Happy Patrick, Happy Ry.

try as he might, Ry could only get 4.5 donkeys on a page. Patrick is the .5 donkey in the lead. If you notice on MBF, there's Ry's drawing of the donks. He loves him some MBR donkey BOYZ
Justina reported that the place where Patrick had come from, has 3 new, young donkeys where Patrick used to reside. In a perfect world, the removal of Patrick would be the end to the story.....but we all know this is not a perfect world. What will happen to those donkeys at the hands of these, what can I call them ignorant, non caring, people?

I can't tell Ry about this at all. He can't know that these people will be allowed to terrorize more sweet donkeys because they are cheaper than a cow, more expendable, and more docile. Justina has started a letter writing campaign because for all intensive purposes it is against laws in NM to knowingly trip or make an equine stumble. I'd say being a roping dummie pretty much is making a donk stumble. Please go to Morning Bray and copy the letter and send it to The honorable Art De La Cruz, County Commisioner. Our superhero donkey Patrick's best and most understanding fan RyLeigh would so appreciate it (even if I can't tell him of the other donkeys fate because it would set him back and I just can't do that).

Please take a moment and make a difference in our laws here in NM. Help make it illegal to use donkeys for this purpose. Thank you lovelies. I appreciate it.

22 comments:

  1. Linda..I am so sad...thank God your friend took him in but now they will do it again with the three new ones? I will visit her blog and do what you have asked...this makes me sick!

    ReplyDelete
  2. THis breaks my heart on many levels. I am so sad I can barely breath. Your sweet boy touches me in a way that is hard to describe. Of course I am going immediately over to the MBF site to copy the letter. I cannot bear what happened to Patrick, and the thought of the new donkeys being abused is unthinkable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh.. How HORRIBLE! I'm in tears.. I've never heard of such a thing they're doing to these poor animals. Why is such a thing still legal?! I pray God brings some kind of peace and happiness to what's left of Patrick's days at Morning Bray Farms. God bless the good people who are taking care of him now. ~tina

    ReplyDelete
  4. This made me cry :( Bless Ry's little heart and what a blessing that your friend was kind and caring enough to bring Patrick home. I'm on my way to MBF and do whatever I can :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a sad story and yes joyful for the way Ry was able to open up and be heard and understood. I don't know how much my thoughts on this subject will mean since I am in Kansas but I WILL send the letter. Bless you for bringing this forward.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a Moving story of hope and love. I am overcome, so happy your Ry has fallen in love with Patrick and has been inspired by his new friend! And so Happy Patrick has a loving new home! Thank-you for sharing this tail and I off off to Morning Bray!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My lovelies don't hesitate to send a letter just because you are from out of state. any and all will help not only this group of donkeys but across the country this is also the case so put it on your blog as well and see if we can't make a difference. Thanks so much. Linda

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aww, what a sad story Patrick has had so far, I do hope the rest of his days are restful and relaxing. So glad Ry was able to articulate further through Patrick, and I do love his drawing of the 4.5 donkeys. Hope the campaign helps the new donkeys and all that are suffering out there

    ReplyDelete
  9. Consider it done sweetheart. The thought of those people owning yet more donkeys is heart breaking. Every little bit may help.

    I love Ry's donkey picture. Is there any chance one might find it's way east for a place of honor on a southern lady's fridge?

    [you can stop laughing about my use of the word lady there you OB. heehee]

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Linda
    Ohhhh Such a very sad, sad story!!
    I too will send a letter!
    Bless your little Ry's heart!!!
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Linda, this brought tears to my eyes and overpowering emotions to my heart. I cannot believe how low we can be as a species. Humans gifted with reason and consciousness behaving as rabid monsters. Your noble Ry, so pure of heart and soul communicating on a such a deep level of thought and feeling is a beauty I will not forget. I will send the letter and also pass it to all of my animal loving friends, in hopes it will make a difference. Blessings to you and your beautiful family.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just do not understand how some people have no compassion for animals. so sad.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I spent 15 years of my life rescuing animals and just hate any form of abuse. Not sure a letter from Arkansas will help but I will try.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such a sad story Linda, love that Ry is so happy about Patrick. I just dont understand how people can be so cruel. hugs to you...I might have to send a letter all the way from Canada to let them know how news gets around. hugs to you and Ry.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You know, violence is rarely the answer, but some people need to be smack around a bit to see if they can see reason. This is so horrible. I hope Ry never finds out.

    I am going to print a bunch of copies of the letter, take them to school and have people send their signed copy. I'll mail mine Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I forgot to mention how much I loved Ry's little painting...I just adore the raw innocence of childrens art! If your friend needs a little financial help to take care of Patrick...maybe you can sell prints of Ry's beautiful painting and maybe include the story with it. Even if you sold it for only $5.00 each it could help. I know I would buy it in a minute...and how wonderful for your grandson to know his art can help his donkey friends!

    ReplyDelete
  17. There are so many ways humans are abusive to animals--puppy mills, rodeos, zoo, Sea World. Fortunately there are also those who care and who do something about things they feel are wrong.

    Ry is a gift. No words.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy Birthday to both Ry and Patrick! It sounds like you were meant to be together! Good luck with making things better!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ry is a special little boy, and I am so happy that he found a kindred spirit in Patrick.

    As for those abusers, well, let's hope they get exactly what they deserve in life. They are clearly missing a piece of their soul
    xoxo
    betty

    ReplyDelete
  20. Shelle, & I just emailed off my protest, thanks for letting us help!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. You have made me laugh on occasions & now I'm so sad, I can not believe this is acceptable by law, I love the story but crap CRAP!!! I will copy the letter & send, but OMG, I just don't get it, which ones are the animals ;(((( makes you so ashamed that people are allowed to get away with this immoral activity, freakin' primitive :((((((

    ReplyDelete
  22. I just swung by from Morning Bray and wanted to say hello. I didn't know the 'back story' about your visit there and reading about Ry and his challenges makes it all the sweeter. I love that Ry connected with Patrick in such a deep and loving way - he's a man after my own heart.

    Having been blessed with the opportunity to visit there myself and meet Justina & Don and all the critters I know first hand what a magical place it is.

    Blessings,
    Carolynn

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you. Thanks for taking the time to comment.