Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Good start.........now we"ll just keep going in this direction

See this face? This is the face of a confident, slightly snarky, bright, intelligent, caring, sweet, child with Asperger's. But the latter only describes how he relates to certain stimuli and communicates......not how he faces the world.

That has changed in two years of freedom and a place to exhale and relax. He has learned to trust, feel, experience and play. Every moment of every day potentially can throw him a curve ball or throw him under the bus but he now bends, yields with dignity to those moments......and when necessary he can pitch one helluva fit. But those are righteous indignation moments not victim moments.

My grandson is not a victim of Autism, he is specially able because of Autism. Do I wish he wasn't....truthfully for him yes. Who in their right or left brain would ask for having so many things going on at one time in your brain and still have to sort out the meanings of things and cope with impatient, rude, uncaring, folks and also loving, nurturing, scoop you up and love you folks because all of the above are equally hard to process for a child with Autisum? The small bundle of energy and wit named RyLeigh has taught me lessons about myself I didn't know were possible. He makes me want to be a better person not only to/for and with him but to/for and with myself and all around me and all because I know him. I see how he has struggled gracefully...although not always with any patience....let's not over do the violins and roses here. He hears, sees, smells, tastes, feels and learns from everything from which he comes into contact with each breathe, each moment of each day. In ways you and I cannot even fathom.

Good News: Today was a good day. A good beginning. A new challenge in life, a first day in 2nd grade with a very young and enthusiastic teacher and he came home with a smile on his face and information to share. The difference is hope. He has it now. The summer program he was in gave him strength and belief that he could do so many things that he had learned from school to be reluctant to try. He made such huge strides in the world of "boy" and how to be one. We sent a shy and tentative boy to summer program in June and what we brought home in August is a boy who has the tenacity of spirit to have a little bit of "been there done that" in his heart.

Sometimes his Mom, Papa and I just sit and stare at how blessed he is, what a blessing he is. Not only to us but to others as well. Tonight after he has gone to sleep, I'm gonna sneak in and watch a successful child breathe in and out in sleep and be thankful for a day full of promise and hope and ask for many, many more for a boy who deserves all the happiness the universe can shower on him.

Smooches and squoozes, Oma Linda

16 comments:

  1. This is a beautiful story of a beautiful boy!! Touched my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope he has a wonderful year in Grade 2!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely! Best wishes for a great school year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awwww, look at that happy face. Great news for a first day of school and how wonderful that he is so much more free and relaxed living with his Oma.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a sweet happy face on Ry!! I can almost feel the love and pride oozing from you, Linda. I wish Ry the happiest year in 2nd grade. Of course there will he hard times, but it sounds like things are off to a great start for him.
    ♥ audrey

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am smiling for Ry and for every one around him ;o) I am so happy for him ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I truly think this is the best post ever!!!!! I am so glad and I love happy beginnings.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wishing him a wonderful year in grade two. lovely post Linda, hoping for lots of wonderful days ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay for a good start to the school year--here's hoping Ry continues to blossom with the young and energetic teacher.

    Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You've brought cheers to my witchy heart. Happy tales are always great, but the ones that show the world is not such a bad place after all are incredible. Thanks for letting us watch how Ry grows in front of our eyes; he is a very special person indeed, and I think some of it has leaked out of his oma ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. wonderful!...A young, enthusiastic teacher is a fabulous thing in life. Let's hope positive energy flows...Glad his summer went so well....we love our kids to be happy and when they are ...all is right with the world....

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is so sweet, Linda! So happy that Ry has a good teacher. What a cutie he is.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh Linda, I have goosebumps. This is one of the most beautiful portrayals of love and hope that I have ever read. I am filled to the brim with joy that RY is starting in a positive way because so often, that is what spells out the path. He will always be in my thoughts of warmth and positive energy.

    You are such a special and warm lady and we are all blessed to share your beautiful world. Have a wonderful rest of the week, Miss Oma Linda!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yay for enthusiastic young teachers, hope he has a fab year, and builds on his summer experiences :o)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you. Thanks for taking the time to comment.