Thursday, September 29, 2011

Another great adventure in New Mexico.................

This is the last few days of Mr. Oblivious', formerly known as Sweet Man, vacation. He has been doing the accumulated honey do's that haven't been honey done. So the last week has been busy.

Add to that stress the accumulation of things that have gone awry in the last month...........had to buy a new washer, couldn't use the computer because of Comeoneandfixitcast, faucet in the kitchen sprung a huge leak, door fell off of one of the cabinets in the kitchen and then our cell phone's don't work (tower problems).
So we headed out of town to find some peace. We are determined to see all of the backroads of New Mexico and so headed to Sapello in Northern New Mexico, the birthplace of a favorite aunt. In the past I wrote about Aunt Maria and how she went to Loretto Academy in Santa Fe and graduated in 1920 something. Sapello is just north of Las Vegas.
I was completely blown away by the landscape and also the history of the area. We have had some rain in the past month in Northern NM and it showed. The wildflowers must have waited to show how lovely they could be all at one time. Many I have only seen in the spring until yesterday. Wow talk about showing off............they did their very best.

We have made many trips to Las Vegas in our lives since both of our grandparents lived there. It is wonderful to see this historic hub being renewed and the wonderful Victorian buildings being refurbished. It is a wonderland of bric a brac and turrets and widow's walks.
This is my Grandparent's old house



We both came home feeling refreshed and renewed. Nothing like a drive in the most enchanting land and fall landscapes to put a spirit right.

10 comments:

  1. Glorious area and fantastic homes. How cool to be able to see the grandparents house. It is good that you could find peace. Do you think you have a brownie or gremlin at home,cos all that stuff breaking down is suspiciously like them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yup, a little r and r can do wonders...and the beauty of the season sure kicked in for you.....the wild flowers are gorgeous in the desert...your grandparents home is the stuff of fairy tales....is this where you learned the art of magic and merry.....wonderful days ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Linda, I love your pictures of the wild flowers and the old buildings! I feel very refreshed too ;o) Thanks! Take care my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Linda, I love your pictures of the wild flowers and the old buildings! I feel very refreshed too ;o) Thanks! Take care my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The wildflowers and homes are beautiful. I must say I'm surprised at the scenery. Having never left the East Coast I have obviously very wrong assumptions about what the SW looks like.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful area, love those houses, that first one almost reminds me of Practical Magic

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm happy for you that your getaway was so peaceful and relaxing. We all need to have some peace from time to time. The everyday hassel can get to be too much. P.S. I have one of my kitchen cupboard doors off. I removed it to test stains and finishes and misplaced it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad you got to leave your annoying things behind and just enjoy for a while. Those wild flowers are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Way back in 2002 we stopped at Las Vegas for a couple of days on our move west from a summer of working at an amusement park outside of Des Moines. Basically, we just collapsed in the rig and vegged out, so I have no real memory of the town. After seeing your pix, I guess we'll just have to make a swing back there some day.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you. Thanks for taking the time to comment.