Saturday, September 3, 2011

There is an old saying .......

"If you find a thing lost for many years, will be the answer to dry those tears."

My Daddy Jack (grandfather) used to say that. Daddy Jack was an enigma to me, so I never really understood his "old world speak".  He was raised in west Tennessee, had 5 sisters (poor fella was the youngest) and was very magickal in his own way. Scotch/Irish, hard as nails and direct to a fault. He was the one who taunted me with the fae when I would visit in the summertime. He told me I would never see any living in the desert, that the "little people" needed some cover to flourish and live. So, I had better keep a close eye peeled while I was visiting Tenn.  because they had the very best fae anywhere. He insisted that he had had proof they existed. When I asked where it was, he would say the above quote, saying he had lost it years before. Cool operator my Daddy Jack.

Anyway, to the real reason I started this post....I found something I lost in 2007. Well I didn't, Sweet Man did when clearing out the computer room.

We are, as you may or may not be aware, still in the midst of the 52 card pickup version of home beautiful. Still have lots to accomplish before we can just settle in and be satisfied with everyone having their own rooms and spaces decluttered etc. Getting ready to paint our old computer room/study which will become Shelley's new room, thereby moving GereaKaye into her own bedroom so Ry can have his own room, we cleared out our coat closet. Seems like we've been at this forever...well, we have. This closet is where we have stored our tax returns and other manner of junque. And in a basket with odds and ends my husband finds my missing camera.

Not just a camera but the camera of my dreams, which I was sure I had left on Sandia Crest when the kids and Shelley visited us for spring break 2007. I searched everywhere (but obviously not this basket) for this very expensive camera, to no avail. I was heartbroken, not so much because of the cost of the camera itself, but because of the loss of the pictures of the grands and Shel. I cried for weeks. I know it seems stupid now, but I was convinced I would not have the kids back here for a very long time at that point. Things were awful back then. I also thought that maybe losing the camera with pictures of the kids was a sign of my loss of them as well. After awhile I just lost hope for all of it. The camera, the grands and us being close again.

So it is interesting at a time that my frustration level for not having a rubber walled house to accomodate what I so longed for back then would produce the very camera that held their sweet images safely tucked away for all these years.....right here where they belong. See Daddy Jack's magic worked. I just accidentally hid them away so that they would come to find themselves safely back home years later. And I have my wonderful camera back too.

Now if I can just remember how to download the images, I'll share the pictures of the much younger grands soon.

15 comments:

  1. How divine! Isn't it wonderful when you find "lost treasure". Things are only as bad as you make them out to be and believe them to be. Illusions are just that, illusions. Glad you found your camera!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yay for finding lost treasures! As for the fae, I'm sure your Daddy Jack was probably assisted along by the whisky bottle, as is most Celtic magic (I should know, I'm half Irish, half Scottish ;o) )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Linda, what a beautiful post. I am so glad you found that camera with those treasured images. I would have cried for days as well, had I thought they were lost.

    Isn't it funny that we usually fear the worst in life, that the lost camera was a mirrored reflection of the loss of your family? I tend to do the same thing. I suppose it is due to our humanness. But isn't it wonderful to be wrong once in awhile? Look at your beautiful daughter and grands now. Blessings to your entire family have come to pass. May they remain forever, my beautiful friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, isn't it a mystery how some things just disappear? I have a bowlful of sacred stones and shells that I KNOW is in this house somewhere, but do you think I can find them? Glad your camera turned up again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What joy and relief you must have felt at finding that camera!! Which mirrors the joy and relief of having the kids back with you. I am jumping up and down in the closet with you as we scream happy screams for finding the camera!!!! Many hugs!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You must be so happy that you found your camera! I'm glad you did, 'cause now you have those photos from that wonderful time four years ago. Yippee!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Linda, this is fantastic and I love Daddy Jack's saying. I actually just wrote it down, so I would remember it. Isn't it funny how things work out? I am so happy for you ;o) Can't wait to see the pictures ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great Find! I'm glad for you. I look forward to seeing the photos, hope they turn out well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this post (who wouldn't) I share your anguish at losing the chance of those photos of your darlings being in your collection of treasures, I know it wasn't about the 'camera' but the 'moments'...
    I want to tell you something Linda, maybe because I've had a glass of wine ;) but 30 years ago when I was still at school, I lost my dad & sister, & we lost the rolls of film we took that last Christmas together, it was expensive to get film developed then, luxuries were not easy, it was 20 years later & my sweet mum found some film rolls in the back of a draw... they say film doesn't last that long (the expiry was 15 years prior) but I got it developed thinking I was probably throwing money away but hoping for something else... A week later I picked up photos of my beautiful father and my darling sister Bernice with all the family, Christmas crackers, smiles, fully laden table with our best china, it was magic, it was time travel, it was golden :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. It must be time for you to use it : ) Google the model and I'm sure you'll find the directions. Enjoy my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. But we do have those little people living in the desert, they live under the Christho(sp.) bushes and they're the ones that allow the bushes to emit that lovely scent of "rain," after a downpour!! I've also seen a few climbing up the Mesquites too!!

    Hope you can download them. I decided to download old pics from my dad's first and only digital...couldn't do it and the camera site said that software was no longer available...like my old MP3 player...same thing, oy! Well, hope you have better luck..I lost so many of my little darlings pics when my old Dell went south a couple of years ago. My brother gave me a flash drive when we got our new 'puter...haven't downloaded the software from the site yet...oy again!!

    Have a great week, my amiga. Enjoy the cooler weather coming our way.

    Loves ya,
    G

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh how would I have loved to meet your Daddy Jack. He reminds me of my Ms. Toledo, she was one of those people who had all the answers but would make you work a whole lot before you could claim one. She would tell me to always put money some place around my house and forget about it. I still do that. And I do forget about it. Then I smile when I find it. Sometimes I need it and use it, if I don't, I hide it again. I tend to find it when I need it though.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a wonderful treat to find a long lost treasure. Not only to get the camera back but those lost pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wondeful story Linda :) I'm so so happy you found your camera! I would cry if I lost mine too, i've caputured so many memories and it always has film in it because you just never know what moment will arise you want to hold onto. Post the pics when you get them developed....

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you. Thanks for taking the time to comment.