Thursday, October 27, 2011

Countdown to Halloween Day 26

Are you getting excited? We are. The grands are all hyped up on Hallowoonie thoughts. Can you blame them. I mean with a nutz case Queen of Halloween for an Oma.

When my daughter was little, it was my "job" to get the Halloween carnival up and running for her school. All through her elementary school years, I would be chairperson of the carnival and bazaar ( I guess it should have been spelled bizarre for me but hey). Such fond memories of fun and games for her. We would also have a party at our house before Halloween, complete with a (non gruesome) haunted house and....wait for it.....fortune teller. Nope not me but my Mom. She passed that talent (insanity) to me later on.

 I have shared with you before, how special my memories of the holiday are to me. How joyous and magickally special it all was. The vision in my mind of the two story brick block school I went to with almost every one of the classrooms decked out for a game or story teller or white elephant sale. How at night with all the lights on, the windows looked so cheery and beckoning, promising all manner of fun. Those are some of my favorite childhood thoughts. Everytime we are near that school I think most about the teachers all dressed up and the parade of costumes and games like fishing for prizes, buying my Mom a ring for a dime at the white elephant sale, being scared at the "Creep walk".

And now the grands are infected with Hallowoonie disorder and are jumping around like wild dogs at a wildebeest convention....Mario and the Winter Fairy are just chomping at the bits to get to the Fall Festival at their schools this Friday and show off their costumes. Pictures on the weekend.

15 comments:

  1. Hey, BB!! I love your Halloween memories, mine are very much like yours!! I can feel your grands chills and excitement all the way over here!! And btw, how dare you get another booby prize!! Now yours are twice as big as mine, LOL!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss Halloween festivities I did with my kids when they were in grammar school. I was always the room-mother and of course, I always had my merry band of crazies to accompany me, sometimes, embarrassing our daughters, especially daughters!! LOL

    However, we look forward to Halloween, because we've made it our annual "Meat Fest" evening. We close up the house, turn out the lights and head on down the street, across the train tracks to the State Line in Sunland, NM...always order "The Big Daddy," a large portion of beef ribs...reminds me of that scene in the beginning of the "Flintstones," where Fred's family car turns sideways from the weight of the dino ribs!! I make it a meal for the next 2-3 days!! We don't have many children left in this neighborhood so we hardly get any traffic, hence our new tradition...well, not so new....been doing it now for about 7 years.

    Have a great week and the goats send their "Boooo" best!!

    Loves ya,
    G

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, it's only a few days away! no wonder the kiddies are so excited. yes I love Halloween too, and will have to take a walk around my neighborhood to check out the decor. Such a fun time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like fun!!! Can't wait to see the pictures!! ~tina

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know I'm excited!!! Got my costume ready and heading out today to buy pumpkins to carve and candy for the witches, ghoals and ghosties. Can't wait to see pics of the grands in their costumes. Good times are acoming.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are all very excited and are ready to jump into our costume and grab some candy! I'm also walking in the parade at my son's school this year. I'm trying to decide if I should wear my traditional Witch's costume or my Medusa costume that I am wearing Halloween night......decisions decisions decisions.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What, you couldn't be grandma in charge of the festivities for the grands' schools? Och well, sure they'll have tons of fun anyway :o)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Halloween is the ultimate kids' holiday! Looking forward to your pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think this Halloween madness is totally contagious. Tonight I volunteered to hand out candy on our courthouse square...and well it was a BLAST! Happy Happy Halloween! Peace, Mary Helen

    ReplyDelete
  10. My worst memory was heaving half chewed candy as a preschooler. Best, bobbing for apples with my boyfriend in grade school,locking eyes and missing apples.
    Have a wonderful day and take lots of pictures. None of the heaving however:))

    ReplyDelete
  11. After reading your post, I want to go to a Halloween carnival!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can't wait to see the pictures! I love your memories Linda! At my school, we use to bob for apples and toast pumpkin seeds, and of course dress up ;o) Mom made this really cool orange clown outfit. I loved wearing it! Hugs my friend ;o) (I felt very special, when you said the little crow, will be going on your family shelf, thanks)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Linda, I hope you got my comment ;o) I will check back, if you didn't, I will comment again ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh what an exciting weekend you are beginning! I look forward to hearing all about it and seeing your photos. Heck you wait all year for this, don't you! Enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love all of your stories of past and present, the living memories that are unforgettable and sharing in the lives of those very special grands of yours. I hope to forever be infected with Hallowoonie disorder as well and should I ever be blessed with my own grands, I hope they are as special as yours.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you. Thanks for taking the time to comment.