Saturday, October 1, 2011

Happy Day one of October....

Danni of Whimisical Cottage is such a dear one and has this lovely come and go kinda blog gathering going on. I am going to attempt to bring something personally seasonal as many days as I can this month to not only honor Danni's theme but also to honor my favorite month of the year.
This witch puppet is one of several that I have found deconstructed and redressed. Most all of my puppets are from the 50's and 60's and are rubber or soft latex headed.
I love the sheer ugliness of her countenance. She is the stereotypical hag or crone look that has been assigned to witch in popular culture. We all know that she is far from what a real witch looks like because there would not be interest in just an ordinary, wonderfully put together or casual person with magickal interests like there is in the scary vision the world has labeled witch. But I think I love her all the more because she is at least a representation of witch. I am not the least bit offended that she is typical of the "Halloween" witch because I am not just a Halloween witch but more.
She sits on the "Olde Baggs" we use to store our ritual tools and is the guardian of such. Bertretta has been with us for 11 years in her present state but she is in fact from the 50's. She is an oldie but goodie just like me. Cackcle, cackle.

Happy Halloweening lovelies.

10 comments:

  1. Your witchy crone has a contented look...not that wicked look so many Halloweeny witches have...I'm sure she looks over all your tools wonderfully...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just cackled too! What a pretty olde bagg this is ;-)

    I LOVE her expression.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great ole Crone!! And Bertretta is cute too! (LOL...hugs)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hee hee, love her, the ideal guardian

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your crone and her marvelous outfit. She's a keeper alright. Cackle, cackle....I'm painting a really ugly crone this morning and am planning to do many more this month. I also love October.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Except for the wart on her nose, she looks remarkably like a dear old friend I had many years ago in Winnipeg.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love her! She has a certain gentleness to her.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love her Linda! I think she is very special! Happy October 1st ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bertretta is as lovely as her name! I'd love see her in action, perhaps a video? (hint-hint!) Youtube can open so many doors. Just think, Bertretta might just be the female Justin Bieber!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Linda, I ADORE your vintage crone puppet. I am so sorry for being so behind as usual but I cannot seem to keep up. I know you've heard this from me before. ;-) I am off to see the rest of your wonderful posts. You have been very busy this month, my lovely friend!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you. Thanks for taking the time to comment.