Thursday, October 6, 2011

Paint the town red, I say..........

Danni at Whimsical Cottage is hosting this wonderful share something with everyone Countdown to Halloween.



She inspired me with her post of yesterday. And she was inspired from Lyn's blog, The Witches of Halloween post by Grandfather Oak.


Our neighborhood is one of those off the beaten track kinda places. You have to twist and turn to get here. We are not far from the interstate, not far from the largest mall in Albuquerque and not far from major streets but we don't have alot of vehicle or foot traffic except for those who live near or in the area or those that think they are going to catch a break and find a short cut through the neighborhood....and that's not happening any time soon. tee hee


But on Halloween, we have always had oodles of trick or treaters. Most of them being neighborhood kids or friend of. But the last few years the numbers have been falling off. It is a sad situation for sure. Lots of folks in the neighborhood quit having their lights on, decorating or participating in giving out goodies within the last 5 years too. So I guess the tricker treater bee don't have any honey to gather so...it is one of those cause and effect kinda things.

But not very long ago.............I would set up a fortune teller booth out in the driveway with dark blue curtains with moons and stars sewn on in shades of yellow and beware the fortune teller banner afixed to it. I would have kids lined up not only to get their palms read but also to watch what the other kids would do when I "red" their palms. It's one of those kinda fun things that kids will do even if they know what might happen. Never gets old, I guess.


The kid walks in, sits down on the stool and hands me their hand palm up. I "read" the lines and crevices all the while blathering some mumbo jumbo. Sometimes they get a fortune fish and candy........sometimes I paint their little palms red with poster paint and smile.... and then give them candy. After about 25 years of doing this schtick at school carnivals, haunted houses or here at home, I'm not half bad at what I do. I've only had one kid get indignant about the red paint and he was an older kid, friend of a friend, and thought he had a stage to be ugly but the kids took care of it with jeers and laughter. He finally went along with the fun.


As we were going through the Halloween decos to put up, the grands asked me if I was going to do the "red lady" as Ry called it. After having only 20 trick or treaters last year, I'm contemplating that my side show has gone the way of the dodo bird. I fear I am getting too old to sit out in the cold or rain and wait for whispering, "no you go first", "uh uh, you go" or squealing and laughter and "oh I'm getting my palm red, just watch". Or the occasional parent who would also like their palm read....for real.


Well on second thought,........maybe, yep I just changed my mind. I guess I would miss the anticipation and tummy tickling I get from waiting in the dark to see what Halloween brings.

16 comments:

  1. Well dear girl I know I want to come by your house on Halloween to get my palm "red" and see the old gal in action.
    We have gotten fewer trick or treaters each year too. It almost isn't worth getting into costume for the few who show up. Truth be told I'd get into costume if nobody showed up cause I love it too much not to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanna trick or treat at your house. Can I bring my Charlie Sheen husband too ; )

    ReplyDelete
  3. One more year, surely you have one more year in you for this deal! I'd come! Here in nowheresville I have had 4 trick or treaters in 35 years. Sometimes we dress up and trick or treat our neighbors, they get a kick out of it because we just don't get kids going door to door out here when it is a quarter mile or more between doors.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL! Bravo! What a fun idea. Oh, how could you possibly deprive those little ones or yourself from such magical fun. I wish I were in yoru neighborhood. I like the color red and am a huge fan of candy. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, man, I'd love to come and get my palm red. You obviously need a fleece cape and hat to keep you warm ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Linda, I wish I lived closer! I want to come to your house! So much fun! I am happy you are continuing the fun tradition ;o) Yepeee ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great Halloween tradition! I bet there are kids who are adults now who still remember you and your palm reading. And I loved Fortune Fish when I was a kid -- such a silly thing but fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How very cool. We don't get any trick or treaters here at the country house and rarely got any at the city house even when the kids were young and we decorated and had lights on.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, missed you my friend. If I lived closer I would definitely be there. How's the kiddo's? would GK like a fossil? It is just leaves but it is for real and I know she was studying rocks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mmm, I obviously need to go and check out Danni, I haven't been at her cottage in a couple of days. The idea of sharing something like this makes me all excited.

    And after I'm done at Danni's, can I come to you and get my palm "red"? Please? I want to hear all the fun creepy things I'll be doing the rest of the year. Or should that be "yer"?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Linda,
    I think you should do it as long as you would like to. I guess you never do know what Halloween will bring.
    Thanks for stopping by my table centerpiece post.
    Hugs,
    Michele

    ReplyDelete
  12. Linda, you have to do the fortune teller booth this year! I love it! I so wish you were in our neighborhood, how fun!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wish I lived close enough to come visit on Halloween...would really enjoy having my palm read...

    ReplyDelete
  14. That sounds like the best Halloween tradition EVER! I'd be coming to your house every year for a fortune, a fish and a red palm - you'd never be able to close up shop if I lived nearby, hehe. I say if there are still kids to delight, why not do it for as long as you're able? Everyone could use a bit more Oma Brand Hallowoonie Magic!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you. Thanks for taking the time to comment.