Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Low brow holiday crafts.............

Like you, I have 24 bazillion things to get done before this crazy season comes to a close. And because of that fact, I love low brow crafts. Not alot of tedious planning and execution time is needed.


I am sure someone out there in the universe has already done this craft (but probably not quite like this). I have seen folks gather crepe paper on the sewing machine.......too much labor for me and put it around carefully cut out heavy paper or card stock and then begin to make a tree. But I'm a lazy quick crafter and used what I already had on hand....at Linda's everything that has ever been on sale at Michael's, Hobby Lobby or JoAnne's craft crap stash. I found these cones after spring, the cupcake liners are always on sale after the holidays and are fun to use, and doilies are readily available. I have buttons and pom poms and I'm sure you do as well. The only tools you need is scissors and a hot glue gun or extra tacky quick set glue.

Begin by either constructing a cone or if you luck out like me (cheat) use what you have on hand. The cones I used are about 8" tall. I used large cupcake liners on the white trees, but regular liners on the blue, red, pink leopard and Mary Englebreit from Michael's green one.



I cut the bottom out of the cupcake liners and begin hot gluing them to the cone. The first round should extend over the bottom edge of the cones so you can't see the cone itself. When you run out of one liner just overlap the next liner about three frills so that it looks seamless. Do the same to end of the round. With the lacey tree, I just ran a row of the doily slightly higher than the first round of the cupcake liner. The next row should hand over the first round by about a 1/4", obscuring the cone from sight. Contine with the rounds until you reach the top of the cone. I simply took my scissors and poked a hole in the pom pom that I used on the top and secured it with hot glue. Use buttons, embellishments, candy, pom poms, whatever you choose to decorate the tree. I even used some wire as garland on the red polka dot tree.


We are using the green ME trees as boxes for the earrings that Ry is giving his teachers for the Holiday. Small gifts would fit into these nicely as will the time certificates that we give to each other. Time certificates are when you give someone your time, doing an activity that is suited to that person. We do that instead of presents for each other because it is the most personal thing we can give.....ourselves for a specific activity. Like Ry and I will go to the aquarium, GK and I will go to the fabric expo in January for tatting lessons, Joe and I have an adventure planned to AZ in the spring and Shel and I are going on a spa weekend to Ojo Caliente. And I have made trees for each of them to tuck the time certificate into.



This is a low brow craft that might come in handy.....hope so. Enjoy.

16 comments:

  1. Adorable, simple and very creative!! You are the anti-Martha!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I simply love these little happy trees! Blessings to you! Mary Helen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Time Certificates -- what a fab idea! That's what the true spirit of Christmas giving should be all about!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute, love the trees, and the idea of using them as gift boxes. Be consoled that you're not the laziest person I've seen with the cupcake liners, I have seen them literally just stacked on top of each other in decreasing size!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Mary Helen--theses are happy little trees and so cute as gift boxes! I'm sure the kids' teachers will be pleased with their gifts and the containers.

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are some of the most fantastic trees and a great idea for those of us who have boxes of junk, er...craft supplies just sitting around begging to be used. Wouldn't you just know it? I haven't a cupcake liner in the house and I can't find my hot glue gun and can't get to the paper doilies as they're in the closet that is buried behind tha huge mountain of junk blocking the door. I am saving this idea for a calmer saner time in my life. I'm bound to have one someday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a lovely thing for kids to do... you are so crafty... I love all of your little ideas..

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are friggin' adorable, lady!! Love them...going to send the instructions to my daughter...the boys love to do "cwafts!" Also, sending them today a small "cwaft" bag. I bought these Christmas wooden yo-yo's last year at Hobby Lobby...found them in their clearance aisle. So I began colouring them with Sharpies, but gave up...don't have the time, so bought them a Sharpie colour set and sending them the yo-yo's...told the oldest of those little guys to keep the 2 year old Houdini away from those markers...his mother will have my head on a spit if he gets a hold on them.

    Damn, have gone on long enough...gots to run...Miss Daisy day.

    Loves ya,
    G

    ReplyDelete
  9. So cute! I'm always looking for lowbrow crafts for crafty time with the minions. Thanks to you Miss Oma Linda.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Linda, I love these trees! So cute!!! Thank you ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dearest friend,
    love your trees but love even more the idea of giving each other time certificates!
    I wonder what kind of nice stuff WE would do together if we were living close to each other,
    maybe you would like a one day ticket to The Vintage Fairy Tales!?
    Thinking of you always
    LOVE
    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dearest friend,
    love your trees but love even more the idea of giving each other time certificates!
    I wonder what kind of nice stuff WE would do together if we were living close to each other,
    maybe you would like a one day ticket to The Vintage Fairy Tales!?
    Thinking of you always
    LOVE
    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  13. Extraordinary!!! They are wonderful! I love them all, Linda. You are very creative.
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a fabulous idea! I love the beautiful simplicity of these tree crafts. I have never seen them and want to thank you for sharing such a creative and practical way of gift giving. Warm hugs to you, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You call them low brow, I call them charming and unique. Thanks for sharing. I have a stack of cardboard thread cones that is clear to the ceiling, wondering what the heck I will use them for but not willing to toss them out. This certainly stirs the idea pot.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, I noticed your background is different. Isn't it? It is.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you. Thanks for taking the time to comment.