Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Mine is almost 14 years old.........

I haven't share too much about my soon to be 14 year old ginger tabby manx cat. Not that there isn't plenty to be told. I just never wanted to come off as a cat hater. I'm not but there are very few mornings that I don't have a bit (or a bite) of a grudge against this beast who lives in my house. Sunny J. Bunnyfur, also know as Sunny Bunny Boo Boo Head is given ample attention, kitty necessities and comforts from all 5 of the humans that are allowed to live in his world and still he is a shithead.

I have a friend online Doris, who just recently lost her beloved peke Gizzy and brought a red headed step child kitten (who looks very much like Sunny J, except Romeow has a tail) into her home and he is straining her patience to the inth degree. When she showed his photo on FB, I said to myself, "self, this one is t-r-o-u-b-l-e." Romeow is just a kitten but comes from a feral background as did Sunny J. But the question is....are all ginger tabby's stinkers or am I profiling?

I think I shared with you that as a kitten, he was so mean that in the rescue, they separated him from the other kittens and even had to put him away from his own mom because he tortured her. And why did I think that lots of love, a warm bed, kitty treats, toys and the occasion catnip was going to tame him????? Because I am an optimist not a realist, I guess.

I want to blame his behavior today which includes the scratches and bite marks on my arm, on the fact that I gave him catnip yesterday, but that's not it. He's crazy....there I've said it. My cat is nutz times 12. And some days, meaner than the day is long.

Most days start off with him demanding to be fed, "now and 2 hours ago would be better, hustle, hustle human." Then he goes off to sleep the better part of the morning away on my side of the bed where he usually deposits copious amounts of hair and the occasional hairball. Then he comes in and picks a fight with the little dog and intimidates the big dog, goes and gets a drink and then retires to the middle of the dining room table. I tell him to move his lardy butt and a battle of wills ensues. I pick him up and put him on his way to my bedroom where he remains until the kids get home. That is when he becomes so sweet and lovable. He talks to the kids, demands petting from them and rewards them with kitty kisses and purrs. When he has deemed it appropriate he retires to my chair in the living room to wait for me to come in and begin an evening of reading, stitching or watching tv. If I dare to disturb him, I am met with the old "stink eye" of contempt and if he had a tail he'd flip me off with it. Bedtime comes and he hides from us because we put him in the laundry room where he won't disturb us with his 2am wake up and play with me call or his 3:45am let me bite your nose to get you to pay attention to me tirade. When we close him in the room, he begins screaming Maaaaaroooo until at least 10pm. And then begins the serenade once again in the morning about 6am.

But today, he had the stink eye going on when we opening the laundry room door. And while finishing some design work here at the computer around noon, Sunny J. climbed up on the computer desk, pawed my hand, and proceeded to bite the crud out of my arm. When I swatted at him to stop, he engaged his back claws and pin striped me a good one. I squealed, he jumped down and made a beeline down the hallway. But 3 minutes later I noticed out of the corner of my eye he was waiting at the end of the couch almost willing me to engage him. He had that "kitty smerk of contempt" going on. We've been involved in a mexican stand off now for a few hours....but you can't fool me....he's waiting for an opening to prove whose really in charge around here. I wish the kids would get home from school and protect me. tee hee

Rotten cat.

17 comments:

  1. I just love it that we both have big yellow (orange) tabbies who's names are Sunny... And even more funny is that I call mine Sunny Bunny too... He is such a lover... not as old as yours (only 5).. but dont you just love them to pieces....

    ReplyDelete
  2. My kitty will lay on her back showing off her belly as if inviting you to give her a rub but I caution you not to do it. It's a trick. She employs all four paws of claws and the teeth. When she's feeling bitey I don't pet her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alas, not every cat is lovable. Some are mean and grumpy. Sunny BBBH obviously has a hate on for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have always thought I would love to own a beautiful orange cat...but your rebel and was totally pissed when you put him into the laundry room. I can not imagine how he is such a split personality....mean and cantankerous one moment...then as sweet as a baby kitten when the children come home. You have made me smile tonight...we are having sleet and ice tonight and I really do not feel like smiling. Peace, Mary Helen Fernandez Stewart

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my. I don't think it's the ginger cat part any I have met have been very loveable cats. I DO however have a black cat, 13 years old now, that came from a feral momma that is really similar to how you describe Sunny J with the split personality and willingness to tear you up. Mine has mellowed a little bit with age, not much a little, and none of the dogs will even dare to get near him if they can avoid it.
    Hope the Grands rescued you before Sunny put many more stripes on you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Patches really like our campground here in St. David, AZ and likes to wander the hill behind our rig. Yesterday I didn't move quickly enough to put the leash on her to take her out so she pulled my hand towards her with her paw and then proceeded to bite me--and did this procedure TWICE. She got her walk.

    Do you suppose a feral cat from AZ and and feral cat from AL can be brother and sister?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love ginger kitties, even though the ones we had growing up were either extremely skittish or eerily similar to your Sunny Bunny. It sounds to me like you've got one feisty old man on your hands, good thing you've got enough piss and vinegar to keep him (sort of) in line! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. My favorite cat color is ginger. All cats in general are stinkers. My cat is a brown tabby and I adopted her when she was deserted at around a year old. She lived on the street but now rules the roost. Every place in my home is a bed and I am a can opener. and...I love her anyway. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have always said all cats are evil, I'm allergic to them, and the little buggers know it and purposefully hunt me down to shed as much hair and dander as they can manage *grump* ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  10. When I was around ten I went with my mother to visit a friend of hers. While walking around in the yard a blur of orange lunged from a window ledge and landed on my head and shoulder then proceeded to claw my cheek and neck. It scared the you know what right out of me and I swear that it's one memory that I'll carry to the end of my days. I'm telling you this because I care for you and am pretty sure Sunny Bunny is a direct decendent of the "Cat from Hell" from my childhood. By the way, when I went running into the house sobbing and runny nosed, I was asked what I did to make the sweet kitty go after me. Don't trust that cat, not for a second and make sure you've got one of the grands with you whenever possible.

    ReplyDelete
  11. At least you didnt't put Sunny on Prozac which so many "crazy cat owners" do. I had to laugh reading about your naughty ornery baby though. Fourteen years old is nothing to be quiet about!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cats can be so engaging, eh?...some are just nuts...I'm told that they can be very sensitive to static electricity and makes them nuts...hhmm? who know...just beware and keep the eyes in the back of your head open and watching...if all else fails, RUN!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. And THAT is why cats scare the shit out of me.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love cats Linda and I love yours too! My first ginger cat was with me, from the day I was born. We were the same age ;o) And, his name was Ginger ;o) I have to tell you, he was the best cat! He was more like a guard dog! And, so sweet and lovable! He would actually sit on top of the roof of our house, until I got home from school, looking for me ;o) He died at the age of 18! Great cat! Sorry about yours, but I know deep down in his heart he loves you ;o) If I lived closer, I would come over ;o) Hope he didn't beat you up! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  15. So sorry but I am laughing at your pain. Guess that makes me no better than Sunny.
    Cats just don't take any crap and they often feel they have to put us in our place which is so far below them.
    I have always been lucky with mine but have met a few of the Sunnys of this world.
    His saving grace and I am sure why he is in your house is his behaviour with the kids. Gotta love that.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ha, ha - "kitty smerk of contempt"! Oh boy, do I know that look! My kitties are mostly sweet and good natured, but we've had our moments. I laughed all the way through this post (not that your skin being shredded is funny, but this is sooo a post that kitty slaves can relate to). ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my goodness! Here I am chuckling at your misfortune again. First, let me defend my rude behavior by saying you are too funny! Okay, now moving on I will say that it seems animals are just like humans in that some are wonderful to be around and some just show the world why there are laws against shooting them. Oh my...did I say that out loud? ;-)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you. Thanks for taking the time to comment.