Monday, January 23, 2012

A Morning Bray Farm kinda day............

Yesterday was one of our very favorite kind of days. Casa de Cuckoo, including the SM Cuckoo for the very first time, got to visit with the Morning Bray Farm family. Always a great time. And Sweet Man got to meet him some donkeys.

GK, from the moment we walked into the coral only a few short months ago, was at ease with all of the donkeys. She has never shown any reservations in interacting with any of them and they have graced her with the same behavior in kind.

I am always amazed at how the ebb and flow of this inter species communication comes so easily to her. While Gracie Bell, Buck and Nigel kinda hang back from the rest of us Cuckoos, these donkeys accept treats and close encounters with her as though she were just another donkey. Patrick is like the in between donkey, he will make contact and then he hangs with Gracie's group. Ellsworth and Bernard are more accustomed to all of us Cuckoos and interact with us the most. But even that expanded during yesterdays visit at MBF.



Bernard and GK can be seen, sharing breath. He would let her gently breathe into his nostril and then snort, kinda shiver and breath back into hers. It was like they were in a world of their own and went on for some time. And then he gave her a very low bow and stretched up and wanted some more. It was magickal to watch. At one point he acted like he was going to shake her hand with his hoof.

Then to add to the wonder of the day....Don placed Ry bareback on Ellsworth. Bernard would have none of that and proceeded to interfere with that process.


So Don placed Ry on Bernard's back. Bernard had never carried a rider before, but he instantly took on his new role of ridable donkey to heart. I wish you could have seen how proud he was. Very purposeful in his carriage of the precious cargo. Both he and Ry looked enchanted by the moment. When Ry got off of Bernard and GK had had her Bernard ride, Ry hugged Bernard and said "I love you so much, Bernard". And all the adults were dewy eyed and so taken by the moment. Nothing planned could have been such a special "moment in time".

That Bernard is amazing. He is a goober of the supreme variety one minute and a proud donkey with a purpose the next. As we discussed yesterday, Bernard would be a terrific therapy animal.

The cuckoos sure love us some donkeys.

14 comments:

  1. Aww, what a sweet day. I may be a little bit dewy eyed too...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to kiss those schmoooshy faces!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Linda, what a beautiful post! I love it! I love the interaction between Bernard and Gk! You are right it was magickal! They were communicating to each other in their own way! So precious! Big Hugs My Friend ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have been blessed with a miracle of a day...soft gentle giants interacting in pure trust of each other. I felt myself soften as I read your details of these loving animals. This could be a great children's story to write and illustrate with soft, velvety pastels. I think your choice of music made this process enter my mind's eye. Peace, Mary Helen Fernandez Stewart

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE the photo of GK and Bernard sharing breath! How special is that?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Linda, these are wonderful photographs and the donkeys are SO adorable!
    ♥ audrey

    ReplyDelete
  7. The nose to nose shot was just wonderful. I think I am in love with Bernard also. There is a lot of soul in those eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You can see the personality in his pursed lips...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think the donkey has become one of your "totems" Linda, lol…I Love these photos and your little introducions to Eeyore and friends. I"m sure Winnie the Pooh would love friends like these ; )

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my! how great to see this! I need a pack of paper towels,cause most of time reading your storys, i got dewy eyed...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I haven't been around donkeys so didn't know they would bow like that, so dang cute! My llamas like to do the breathing my breath thing too. These are great pictures,what a special day. Glad SM was there to witness it as well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Look at how beautiful Gk is mirroring souls with the precious Bernard! And Ry so handsome bareback like a man on a mission. Well I have to tell you that this entire post with those enchanting pictures made me misty eyed. Hugs to all of your beautiful selves!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a day brightening post this is! The trust you are building with the donkeys is wonderful and the MBF folks are pretty fabuloso for opening their donks and themselves to y'all.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you. Thanks for taking the time to comment.