Saturday, February 25, 2012

Annabelle and the Valium

I was reminded of on of my long gone Saint Bernard fur babies this last week by two separate blogs from others. The first from Jan at Laughing Dog Arts and the latest one is Patti from Arkansas Patti. She has a story about her furbaby Mightie Dog that brought Lady Annabelle of Dunkirk to mind.

When Annabelle was but 10 months old, we took her to have a pre op visit to the vet. It was time to have her spayed and while there the vet took Xrays and found she had hip dysplacia I looked on as Joe and the vet both cried over the X rays. The vet had had a Saint when he was in college and that dog did not survive the corrective surgery. That's where they shave off the head of the femur and let it go back into the hip socket. They do the surgery differently now but this was 35 years ago.

To cut this story down to a manageable size, the dog did well from the surgery. But she always was a mess when it came to trimming her nails. There was no dog groomer in our area who would just do a 150 lb slobbering anxious dogs nails.....hmmmmmm I wonder why???? So I had to learn to do her nails while she bellowed, yowled and generally made me feel like crap. Besides, do you know how strong a Saint Bernard is???? Add to that the fact I cut a nail short once and she bled. Now we have a dog with a  Sara Bernhardt complex. So I asked the vet for something to calm her down. He gave me Valium and told me "give her 5" and to give it to her in peanut butter.

I gave her 5 tablets in a peanut butter in bread treat. In 20 minutes the dog looked like her skin was going to just fall off of her body. She couldn't get up, she was laying in a puddle of slobber and kept giving me the stink eye from hell. I called the vet and told him what I had done. Silence on the other end of the phone. Then he said...I said to give her 5 mg.......not 5 of the 5 mg tablets. HUH?

Told me I had to get her up, get her to move, drink water, pee, eat.....uh yeah, like that was gonna happen. I tried. I worked on her for 3 hours, trying to get her back to being Annabelle not a lump of Saint Bernard colored dog flesh. NADA. At the 5 hour marker she kinda staggered up and went outside to pee and then just laid down out there. I cried, wrung my hands, cursed the world.  I was so upset with myself.

Within 8 hours of course she was fine. I was so happy that I didn't realize that I had not taken advantage of the time she was "rubber dog" to trim her nails. Dam.

A couple of days later the funniest part of the tale happened. Shelley got a peanut butter spoon and was sitting watching cartoons. The younger Saint, Priscilla kept bugging her about licking the spoon. So she went and got another spoon for the dogs. She offered it to Annabelle too. Within a minute, Annabelle was down on the floor looking like she did when I gave her the Valium. Just for giggles I went and got the clippers and I'll be darned if she didn't just lay there like she was drugged. For the rest of her life, you could give Annabelle peanut butter and she would become docile and fake drugged. Darndest thing ever.

17 comments:

  1. What a great memory. I'm dealing with my cat's nails at this time. We are getting a new loveseat, and at 19, she is too old to have her nails removed, so my son is bringing over these nail covers that we will 'try' to get on her tomorrow.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure Pavlov was smiling from Heaven!! LOL That's just too funny. When I read the part about the "5" I knew what the doc meant...and of course, you did exactly what anyone would do, give the doggie 5 tabs!! LOL I laugh because I did that once with my Belgian Shepard, Charo...poor baby girl.

    One time Ian dropped his Clonodine on the kitchen floor and my Chihuahua, Maya, lapped it up as it hit...dumb dog!! I called his father, who has some knowledge of pharmacology, and he assure she'd be fine, probably sleep well that night, which she did...dumb dog!! LOL

    Anyway, thanks for the morning chuckle.

    Loves ya,
    G

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful memory and thank you so much for sharing.
    Where on earth would we be without our furry friends.
    They have all been a treasure,those present and all who have gone over that Rainbow Bridge.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad she made it through her druggy stupor! And isn't that funny -- peanut-butter induced docility ever after!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now that gave me a really good laugh! I love dogs and their different personalities are sometimes so funny!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ROFL, surprised she didn't need Valium for life after that ;o) Still, always good to know Pavlov wasn't hallucinating with his experiments :oD

    ReplyDelete
  7. I used to give my boxer Dempsey xanax so he wouldn't eat through the door and attack the babysitter. I gave it to him 15 minutes before she came, closed the door as his eyes started closing and when we got home usually 4 hours later he was coming out of his high and forgot to even eat the door. There was always a pile of drool on my pillow but it was so worth it to get the fuck out of the house.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fantastic story! I'm going to remember it for a very long time. I have some fond memories and a few funny stories about my first Saint who thought he was a lap dog. When I was pregnant with my daughter I had to sit on the floor with my legs stretched out so Nipsy would have a lap to sit on. At the time he and I each weighed 159 pounds. Bath times were really fun for someone in my condition and a large dog who got excited about being in water. He would jump out of the tub and run soaking wet through the house with me chasing him and everything would get a good washing. I think your Annabelle and my Nipsy would have had a ball playing together.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great story!!
    ♥ audrey

    ReplyDelete
  10. dogs are such funny animals. I'm surprised she ever wanted to eat it again.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hahaha! That's the sort of memory that just begs to be shared. Thanks for the laugh, my morning toast with its slather of peanut butter will be a more humorous experience now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the shout out and I am so glad you elaborated on your comment. I had all sorts of questions.
    What a scary, funny story and I just cracked up at the plecebo effect of peanut butter. Hum--I wonder if Mighty-----?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great story! Isn't the mind incredible?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Linda, I am laughing! What a great story!! Annabelle was a sweet dog! I am surprised she wanted the peanut butter? Maybe she liked the feeling of being drugged! LOL! Have a great day my friend ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is a true heart memory! Thank you for sharing your heart's story! Peace, Mary Helen Fernandez Stewart

    ReplyDelete
  16. Annabelle's story made me giggle. Not the beginning, of course. I was cursing that silly vet--how can he say "give her 5?" Who the hell goes around thinking about mg when it comes to pills? *sigh* But it ended well, so I'm taking back the glares. And the idea of Annabelle's fake-drugged reaction is just too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my goodness! I cannot believe your vet was so vague about the valium dosage. After having him clarify that, I'd have had to pop one myself. I am so thrilled that it all turned out well and that Annabelle never had to be drugged again. Poor baby, she wasn't having anymore of that. lol.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you. Thanks for taking the time to comment.