Friday, February 17, 2012

you are never going to believe this

I went to the Dr. this morning at 8. I got myself mentally ready to let him speak first on the issue of me stopping the Cymbalta and then I had my objections to that plan and also questions as to how to get off the medicine with his help. After my feelings at how his nurse had brushed me off and made me wait two more days after my full explanation of my side effects, I was as they say, armed for bear.

He asked me about the side effects. Had me rate my pain on a scale of 1 to 10 and the weirdest thing happened. As I sat with my bare face hanging out he said, "well if this medication is making you feel this bad, let's stop it now and get you on down the road without it". I almost dropped my teeth out of my head. I told him I had been afraid that he was going to say it was all in my head and that he would poo poo my feelings. He said that it was all in my head, but that it was my head and if I felt like this wasn't going to work then WE needed to find a better way. Because no one knew what I was feeling like except me.

I asked if had any strategies on getting down that road with the least amount of pain from the withdrawal. He indicated that from his reading of the symptoms, first I probably had not been on the med long enough for it to be extreme but I should start drinking alot more water, take my Valium prescription for the muscle tension, and if I needed anything else or if I was having a reacion that those things or a benadryl didn't help, I should just come in, anytime.

Then he proceeded to become my new best girlfriend in a discussion about our lives and the paths that coulda crossed here in Albuquerque, people we both knew, my parents, his parents and a guilty little pleasure concerning watching The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills last night......OMG. When I was leaving his exam room, his office manager said to him that he was running really late and he said, I know but I just really have not enjoyed visiting with a patient like this in a very long time.

Now someone pinch me. Have I entered the Twilight Zone???? He treated me like a real live human being. He wants US to work on getting me better. And he's my bestie to boot? Damn life is good ya'll.

Thank you all for the positive thoughts, personal messages (I will get to answering those now as soon as I can) and the well wishes and prayers. It is because of you that I even had the where with all to form a plan in talking to him. I am truly blessed by all of you. You gave me courage to put me first.

Now go celebrate for me and have a super weekend. XOXO Oma Linda

20 comments:

  1. I'm soooo happy for you that everything turned out just great!!! Hmmm.. maybe you DID entered the twilight zone ;-)
    Have a super weekend Linda!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy crap! I didn't know that doctors like him still existed! Hang on to him, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So happy to hear it all went well. Like I said before, I have suffered for years with fibro and only this year it has gotten worse. I still use no medication aside from Motrin off and on. I use alternatives. Yucca works for pain, and since I can't eat it every night, it does come in pill form. Helped my 86 year old mother-in-law who had arthritis in her knees. DLPA, an amino acid, also works well, and Melatonin helps for the sleep problems it causes. These supplements have helped me for several years now.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww, damn, don't you hate it when you're spoiling for a great fight and people go and turn all reasonable on you lol Glad to hear you've now found a great doctor, hope you can work this out together!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ~relief...thank the gods for this doctor!!! so few and far between...so getting on now to making youfeel better is your focus...not having to worry if you are going to be at war with a doc causing more stress and strain on your body both mentally and physically...my prayers and healing blessings remain with you this day and those to come forth that you will be free of pain and happiness remains in your heart always...one day at a time...you are loved...much love light and blessings~

    ReplyDelete
  6. Find out if he's got any doctor friends out my way! Good god girl, that's a keeper!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's very rare to find a doctor who will take time with a patient and actually care about what is wrong. I happen to have two.One is my Ortho and the other is my Family doctor. You are truly blessed dear.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an unexpected surprise. My doctor is the same way, half the visit is chatting each other up. But I'd you get a doctor that isn't all full of himself and will listen to you and give you credit for having intelligence and knowing your own body, well, that's a keeper.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is awesome news Linda because now you have someone with the experience of medicine who is listening to you as a person and working on helping you. IMHO, he didn't immediately brush you off because you were putting of a vibe that wouldn't permit it. I've been told I have an "untouchable" vibe to most people and very few are let in my "inner circle". My doc is a hard hard bitch. A brilliant hard bitch, but none the less used to people listening to her. Well, then she met me. : ) We have a great relationship now.

    I hope you are feeling better and relief is in sight.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Linda, I couldn't be happier! I've been worried sick about you and madder than a hatter at that doctor and then he goes and pulls this. You didn't even have to give him an adjustment either. Dang!!! Let's hope this is the start of something good cause we all know pain can be a real downer. Have a great weekend. Smoochies

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hooray for connecting with your doctor and for him understanding that the mind can help or hurt when you're not feeling well. Sending good energy your way.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Linda, I am sorry, I am writing this to you late! I still want to write to you personally too! My mom and I are so happy for you! That's what you truly need is someone in your corner! Yeh! You deserve this my friend! Be well and have some tequila ;o) Big Hugs ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Boy, he really took the starch out of a good fight. This guy sounds like a pure winner. The nurse you talked to could use a bit of an attitude adjustment though.
    So glad he listened.
    Hope he can find the right combination and get you WELL.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Holy Crap, girl, I thought you were off that stuff long ago. Sounds like our doc's share a brain...mine is the same way too. When I have my appointments, it's usually a longer one because we both are artists and both love talking about our work, plus, he gets me.

    I was watching tv last night when the Cymbalta commercial came on...thought it was to boost anti-depressants, now it's for pain...WTF!!?? Anyway, glad you're going off that crap...ya know how I feel about all those meds...just not good for the bod for many of us.

    Hang in there and ya know you're loved...MUCHO!! You crazy vieja!!

    Loves ya lots and goats are rejoicing,
    G

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, I'm so glad, Linda that your Dr. turned out to be not only an ally but an actual professional Dr. who paid attention to your needs and concern. Speaking from experince, I know how important it is to find a Dr. who seems to actually want to help you. I'm really blessed to have found a psychiatrist who also listens to my needs and when I have horrible side effects, doesn't tell me to tough it out (well, he actually said that for a while) until I told him, I wasn't going to tough anything out that left me feeling so miserable. Good for you, Oma that you spoke out and now have a better chance for healing and well being!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh Linda, I am so sorry I was not here to give you any encouragement or hugs on this last post or this one. Girl, it has just been a hell of a week for all of us health wise, I suppose.

    I have not felt well and just doing more than the daily requirements can be very taxing. Please do not take my absence as lack a interest or affection, because I love you dearly and wish you all the best.. Sending many hugs to you. Mina

    PS - Congratulations on your wonderful Dr/BFF. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Glad the experienced was a positive one - yes, there are such doctors out there. Most of all I hope you feel better soon. Sending Reiki. XO

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great news, Linda. It makes a world of difference to have a caring Dr. who spends time helping with our problems rather than rushing us out the door with yet another medication.
    I had the greatest Dr.in Ohio ~ I hated leaving him behind, but lucked out in finding one here in Virginia who is close to being just as good.
    I hope this will be the beginning of things getting better for you in matters of your health.
    Take care. I will keep you in my prayers, hoping you can be rid of some of the pain you've been experiencing.
    ♥♥♥ audrey

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a wonderful relief to have a good doctor who listens to you and actually is wonderful to talk with. Bedside manner and listening are two skills most doctors are very lacking in, sad to say. It's tough finding a good one.

    I hope your transition off the cymbalta is smooth and you won't have pain or other issues with it. My friend, when she went off of it, had the electric shocks in her head but they stopped after a week or so. Not sure if you knew that could be an issue, but she was also on it for over a year, too. Not just three weeks.

    I'll be keeping you in my thoughts and hoping for a smooth ride off the meds.

    Hugs and Blessings,
    Bird

    ReplyDelete
  20. A new bestie... & with drugs!!! You'll be on that recovery road with tap shoes on in no time! Big hugs & so pleased you have someone doing the right thing in helping you get back to good health :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you. Thanks for taking the time to comment.