Sunday, April 29, 2012

Here's boyz.....waitin' on the girls

I've told you all in the past that I always see the male turtles first. Well this year was a little different but that is because we disturbed Miss Beauty by working on the faerie's garden earlier than usual. She has been in hiding ever since because......da, da, dah.....(cue the mystery music)....the boyz are lookin' for some u-haul trailer action.

Here are pictures of 4 of the randy little charmers. Unfortunately, I have more boyz than girls and will probably have to find homes for a couple of the males because they tend to not only drive the females nuts but also start fighting and injuring each other. Sorta like having too many roosters....only Sunday dinner with these guys is out of the question, if you get my drift.



We have spotted 6 babies, but I am enforcing a new rule this year and that is......."leave them alone". If you disturb the babies, then they have lost their stealth factor and we have a hawk who moved into the neighborhood who preys on the mourning doves and other birds but could get a hankering for turtle meat, neighborhood cats and the littlest member of our entourage of animals, Miss Ellie Mae Scootles who loves to torment anything littler than she is.

Also included are some photos of some of the new flowering plants we have added to our backyard project. Hope you enjoy them. I smelled the Star Jasmine before I saw it at the nursery and just had to have it. It smells divine and I hope it will thrive in it's new mushroom pot....to be painted this afternoon.



Have a lovely Sunday and Happy 1st of May if I am still painting and fixing. Oma Linda

14 comments:

  1. We have three turtles at my job. Until they were brought and left in our care, I had no idea how much fun they could be. I've become attached to all three of them.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm guessing it's hard to teach a turtle to keep it in his shell ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love all of your turtles...how beautiful, or handsome, they all are!!!

    Your flowers are gorgeous!!!

    Blessings,
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  4. turtle city around there. What fun it must be until one gets snatched by a hawk or something. I also saw your aluminum art from the previous post, those are way cool and so pretty. Like those aluminum drinking glasses everyone used to have. That turned into a beautiful wind chime! I've been potting things up lately too but your growth is way ahead of mine right now. I suppose when mine is in full bloom yours will be wilting in the heat so yours has to go full bore now. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I understand the comment about too many roosters...I have 12 at the moment...there is a bachelor pad which houses 10 and the other two are with the ladies...This helps keep the fights down...Nice flower pics...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the turtles. Just look at those cute faces. I'm so happy you posted photos. Please give us updates as time goes by.
    The flowers are beautiful!!!!!!! I have only potted pansies so far ~ need to head to the nursery soon. Isn't Spring fun?
    ♥ audrey

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting about the stealth factor. Gad, that poor female is going to have a busy time of it.
    I had a turtle visitor yesterday that snuck under my gate. I had to relocate him/her outside the fence. Mighty would torment him and the poor fellow was trying so hard to climb the fence. Not easy for a turtle.

    ReplyDelete
  8. lucky you to have such magnificent turtles about!!!! I met a brown toad in the garden the other day and he looked like he might be kind of friendly....love the flowers and the sunshine.....spring is always so exciting! Enjoy yours!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. No turtles or pretty flowers here, darn it! We do have some ducks, and possibly snakes and who knows what else hidden in the tall grass. I'd hoped to have some yard work done yesterday, even had the help show up but it's still too darn wet out there to do much of anything. Only half of the back lawn got mowed and it doesn't look good! Now there's an understatement. Love the photos of the cute little turtles. Question, how do you tell which are male and which are female? Never could figure that one out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fertile yard. And my gods those eyes are so precious. I'm kind of jealous. Don't let the boys knock each other out too hard, the girls might not care much for battle scars.

    Hope the painting and fixing is going superb. I need to do some shopping and cleaning *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  11. "U-haul trailer action!" LOL! I love the way you put words together my friend ;o) I love the turtles! They are so cute! Where I use to live, we had large snapping turtles! They were huge! We had to get them removed. They went to the zoo. I have never heard of Star Jasmine before! Wow your flowers are looking gorgeous! It's sill too cold here! Hugs and happy May 1st ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love these turtles! You are so fortunate to have them right in your back yard. The plant additions are gorgeous. I can smell the Star Jasmine from here...mmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love them! too bad you are so far away. box turtles are so fearless. Every time I look at big Mama she jerks back in her shell. If you are totally motionless for a long time she will stick her hear out but the least movement and back she goes. And I've had her for over 20 years! You'd think she wouldn't be so skitzy.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you. Thanks for taking the time to comment.