Friday, June 15, 2012

I have to share what so many have done and how there is still hope

to stop Van Horn Texas from having their offensive Donkey roping contest.

First the sweetest donkey lover Justina, got in touch with the lady at Van Horn's Chamber of Commerce. She eloquently pointed out that we all need to be civil and respectful. And I agree whole heartedly.

Linda Carson of 7MSN has written a couple of very pointed posts and they can be found here. http://www.the7msnranch.com/2012/06/were-not-letting-go.html

And The Brays of our Lives has written an open letter to the editor of the Van Horn paper.

And there is a petition at this site that you can sign: http://www.change.org/petitions/van-horn-texas-chamber-of-commerce-donkey-roping-must-be-stopped

The fight continues and there are so many of you who have joined in and written and called and emailed.......and I love you all for doing so. Thank you.

We can all still make a difference, there's still time.

Here is an part of my letter I wrote last night:
Dear sir:

It is with great and sincere concern that I am writing this letter to explain to you why I believe that the World Championship Donkey Roping Competition is a heinous and cruel activity 

I understand, having lived in New Mexico all my life and part of that on a ranch in Northern New Mexico, that roping is part of the history and legacy of the cowboy.....but that proud legacy is with cattle not donkeys.

The roping in that history is a time honored and respectable utility used in ranching......the spectacle of roping a donkey, whose neck is much like a horse's rather than a cows is cruel and inhuman.  And tell me that cowboys would rope and hobble a horse the same way they do a cow. Not hardly. And they certainly would not stretch the horse until it broke.

The cruelty that the children of your town are going to observe is hellacious in this Donkey roping. And this is what heritage is being passed on to your little buckaroos. Nice. My grandmother's heart aches for your children and for the donkeys.

There are so many of us who see the value in donkeys, please know there will be more letters. We have contacted the organizers, the Chamber of Commerce and now you. We will be contacting the Houston ASPCA, this is not going away. Please know it is not a threat. It is a promise because we love donkeys and see their value even if folks in your area do not. Cruelty is cruelty no matter where or what.

Please don't let this horror be looked at as a "fun family" event. Rodeo should be about pride and heritage, not cruelty and pain.

If you have any questions or would like to speak to or email me:

Linda Wildenstein
turtle8603@comcast.net

8 comments:

  1. That is a poignant and beautifully stated letter Oma Linda. I am sure you have eloquently voiced the opinion of many. God be with you on this quest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent letter. I do hope you get results.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a terrific letter....very thoughtful and intelligent and strong! Yes, the thought that the Donkey Roping is advertised as a "Family Fun" event is awful, and I hope they get the point!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The donkey roping deal is disgusting and I applaud you and all the others who are advocates of donkey's. I signed the petition and will make sure I tell others to do the same.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oma Linda, great letter and fantastic to know, about what everyone is doing! Let's cross everything, that positive results will happen!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oma Linda, I cannot thank you enough for all your support against donkey roping. Saw your ireport on CNN - just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You go girl! I love the letter you wrote. Poignant, heartfelt and firm. Well done. And your article on CNN is amazing. I am off to sign the petition. I hope with all my heart this can be stopped. Hugs, my sweet.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you. Thanks for taking the time to comment.