Thursday, June 21, 2012

I'm being an optimist, even if it feels like *&#@

I am neither a glass half full or half empty kinda gal.

I am a glass on the shelf in my kitchen window kinda gal. I would take pictures of my glass bottle and do dad collection sitting on the window sill but it's kinda embarrassing because I am a hardly ever wash the window kinda gal too but that's a whole different story.
I want to make one of these so bad. I just love glass
The sun at this time of year comes in the kitchen window for exactly 17 mornings and only for about 2 hours. Despite this small number of sunshiney hours that bless my kitchen with a wonderful glow, I still have my glass bottle collection and prisms in this window. 

I think that makes me an optimist. It also makes me a realist.

Yesterday afternoon, I was feeling kinda puny as well as a little done in by the emotions of the last week's donkey roping protest and getting ready for our solstice celebration. So I went in to take a rest (old lady code for a nap) while Shelley went to get the kids from program. When I awoke, I came in the kitchen to the lovely smell of cookies baking but there was an underlying odor also.

The bosque, thicket down by the Rio Grande river, just north of Corrales, about 12 miles from my house is on fire. The wind was carrying the smell of those 100's of year old cottonwoods burning towards our part of the city. I just can't bring myself to add a picture of the fire. It is so sad. I have shown you before how beautiful the bosque and the cottonwoods are were.

And as if that wasn't enough to be concerned about on my facebook was a notification of a TV interview done with the promoter Jason Owen of Dos Gringos Promotions. In the interview he said that the donkeys are his property and basically he will do what he wants with them. If the "protesters" want to pay him for them, he'll sell them but he rescued them from a kill truck and he and his partner will do what they will with them.

I was shaking after watching the newscast. What a maroon as they say in the cartoons. I realize he has spent money to feed them and that he paid $5 to $10 a head for the 40 donkeys he has. But why would you want to keep something that was a drain on your income and have to feed them if you weren't planning on using them for that big income windfall that you expect from say.......oh I don't know .....DONKEY ROPING AND MUTILATION..... to the cheers of the paying non human beings crowds???????

Just when you think you've made one step forward in the education of folks, you find out that they lied, they lied, they lied. Yep, that just about covers it. This little boy who has to save face in the west texas culture of cowboy is backed into a corner and is probably about as hospitable as my ex husband (he also was cowboy, or at least fancied himself one, poor deluded male) or a rattler. It is wise to leave well enough alone, but I am neither wise nor gonna give up.

Now I must add in here that I have met and am friends with some of the nicest men and women who call themselves cowboy or cowgirl. I live in the southwest people. How could I not know folks who are. In my youth I spent summers working on a ranch. But these "cowpersons" would never behave this way. Their Mommas are proud of who they are, they take pride in how they behave and it's a  pleasure knowing them.

I've been snake bit and guess what, you get over it or you die. See I am a realist and an optimist. I am real sure that this fat lady has not sung her last stanza of "oh no you didn't just lie to my face".

I also got an email this morning, warning that what we think is the truth as far as the cancellation of the "event" may not be the case either and the petition still needs signatures and my article needs more recommends and don't think we have won because it looks like these donkeys lose no matter what. Fight on my lovelies.

10 comments:

  1. So sorry for all this negative energy that's been perpetrated under a seemingly positive outcome. I think it's time for a little magick to start and turn this donkey's ass (sorry to donkey's) and turn him into a creature that slithers! And fire is devastating and scary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dang! (As some cowpersons say) Dang! Dang!!! That guy needs a serious time out grrrrr
    Keep up the good fight.
    You are an optimist, a realist, with a kind and beautiful heart.
    Have a better day.
    Always, Queenie

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Once more unto the breach, dear friends" . . . can't remember where that quotation comes from . . . Shakespeare or perhaps Churchill? Either way, fight on for those poor donkeys!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pricks, pricks!!! Dang right, the fight is still on! Kick them where the sun don't shine Oma Linda! We are right behind you! Keep being the person you are! You are beautiful, inside and out ;o) xoxoxox
    I love glass too ;o) That light fixture is amazing!!!
    Big Hugs ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh arse... Or perhaps that should be 'oh ass' :o(

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know what to say ... I am just sad that they are going to keep pursuing this madness.

    I am proud that you are a woman who has taken up the gauntlet of challenge in defense of defenseless donkeys.

    It hurts to see how exhausted you are, yet if it wasn't for people like you calling these astrosities to public attention ... those little darlings wouldn't even have a glimmer of a chance.

    Thus said, Keep up the good work, Oma Linda, and know there are many who support and love you for your efforts.

    God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You know, I rarely wish for money, but in times like this I wish I had lots of it. Just to buy a house where the sun shined through all the windows all yearlong, just kidding ;-) I wish I could get the donkeys from the heartless bastard. Like you said, why does he want them if not to use them? *sigh* I hope he sees reason, but we all know how that usually turns out.

    Well, we'll continue pushing forward.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm with Magaly on this one. I rarely ever wish for money but right at this moment I wish for enough to buy up all of those wonderful donkeys and wipe the smug right off of that bastard's face. That old saying about what goes around comes around isn't working fast enough!!
    Secondly, I'm so sorry to read about the fire in the bosque thicket. I wish your part of the country could get some of the rain that keeps falling here.
    Last but not least, the sun never shines through my kitchen window. I know, it's sad but so true. I wouldn't make something like that up.
    Try to enjoy your weekend. Smooches

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have the same deep rooted emotions attached to dog fighting so I truly can say I feel your pain with the asshole sick twisted disgusting "humans" who watch animal torture as entertainment. They should all be locked the fuck up.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just got on the 'net and learned about this...such a pity...makes me so proud to be human...I'll do what I can...

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you. Thanks for taking the time to comment.