Sunday, June 17, 2012

Recycle, Redo, Reclaim and have a great time doing it......

Here's our creations as of late......Garden Guardians and our Chalk Board Table.

We saved cans for a few months. All that is needed to do this (besides excited kids) is a can opener, tin snips, wire cutters, pliers, a rubber mallet, ballpin hammer, or regular hammer to flatten the edges, an electric drill, wire and folder brads. We used thrift store finds for the heads.
Before assembly but after they beat up the cans
We took both ends off of the cans. Flatten the cans by stepping on them (too much fun for the kids to do together). Then hammer the edges down to make it easier to drill holes.
now hanging in the faerie garden
We made jump rings out of heavy wire by wrapping it around a dowel (also the hair on the girl guardian). Used wire cutters to cut rings, pliers to hole the ring as we put the flattened cans together with the rings. We cut the lids down for hands and also for feet with   the tin snips and used folder brads for the eyes and nose too.
we have no idea what this was but it's a beautiful girl guardian now

metal serving tray has become the handsome boy guardian with flirty eyes

now I'll admit the tin is sharp on these hands so we're thinking how to correct that

I bought this orphan table at the thrift store for $12 minus 30% senior discount and we used 1 and a 1/2 bottles of chalkboard paint from the craft store. We have spent hours playing hangman, tic tac toe, drawing, leaving messages and generally saving electricity because the cuckoo family loves to gather round and watch what is being created on the table. This is the best thrift store purchase thus far.
not exactly up to date styling and we do have lots of chalk dust but who cares

and the table is already too small for all the cuckoos who want to draw
I hope you might try one of our recycle do's. We're having a great redo summer, hope you are too.

14 comments:

  1. What terrific ideas and hey, I'm a Squidward fan too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I keep saying it and I'll say it again, you all look like you have so much fun together and I'm envious. I love the table and the guardians are perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm seriously considering doing half of one of the walls in the hallway bathroom as a chalk board so people can leave messages and doodles and it'd be easy clean up.

    I love the guardians! Maybe get some of that moldable epoxy and and make some snakes like you would with clay and run it along the sharp edges. Once it's dry it's rubbery and bonds really strong. If you want cheap and even easier, run a line of hot glue. Not sure how well it will hold up to the elements, but it's worth a shot!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hours of fun and entertainment for the whole family :oD

    My old fridge had blackboard paint on both sides, it was always interesting to see what friends had written in passing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such great ideas,
    and so much fun you are having together!!!!!!!!
    Hope that I one day will make a drawing on that table too:)
    Love to all of you
    From Becky

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brilliamt ideas and wonderful ways to spend your time...making memories.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These guardians are so cool! I want to make some! Really Oma Linda, I Love them!! They are fantastic!!! For the sharp edges, how about that heavy duty black tape, that electricians use? Don't know what it's called, sorry. And, I LOVE the table! I want to come over and play!! xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the tin can people, great jobs.
    The chalkboard table is a wonderful idea.
    Thanks for sharing and thanks for stopping by my jack rabbit post.
    Have a wonderful week.
    Michele

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fun, fun, fun going on at your abode!! Wish I had my grans around more so I can do stuff with them but after spending almost the month of June with their father and stepmonster, they do need a little stimulation...24/7 of video games and no library or creative time makes for very dull little boys. Will have them here at the Meema's home next week for a day and do some fun stuff with them...like the metal sculpture stuff...very cute...love them. BTW, GK sits the way I used to when I was a kid...hadn't seen that position in years!!

    Loves ya,
    G

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your'e the most creative Oma i know! Such a cute figures made out of tins and stuff ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Garden Guardian's are wonderfully creative and charming! You and the grandkids surely had a fun day creating them!

    The chalkboard table top is a terrific idea! How very, very clever of you! And since the table is double tiered you also have a handy place for the chalk and erasers! Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The pair of garden guardians are such a great addition to the fairy garden. (Try saying that three times.) The grands are really quite good at making metal art.
    The chaulk board table is even more spectacular than I thought it would be. Who doesn't like drawing on furniture? I really want to use chaulk board paint on something but looking around the house I'm not finding anything suitable for painting so it may take me awhile. Great job you guys. Smooches

    ReplyDelete
  13. OMG! I love the little guardians. They are too adorable. Miss Oma Linda, your family is so creative. And the chalkboard table idea is perfect. I love the beautiful gift of recycled material. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the tin can idea! I bet the sun catches the reflections really cool in the garden.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you. Thanks for taking the time to comment.