Thursday, September 27, 2012

It's got me to wondering...........

For the last 8 days I've had Sweet Man home on vacation. We had plans to do lots of honey-do's and mark them off our to do list but.....we must have gotten a stomache bug from somewhere (not mentioning any names but their initials are the grands). So instead of painting and updating our bathroom which looks like the wreck of the Hesperous, we cleaned out accumulation from just about anywhere we found any and rented movies. Lame O movies....nothing cool like Magic Mike, although he did rent The Avengers and I saw lips moving and things getting blown up and then Thor came on the screeen and I sat through the rest of the movie.

I'm beginning to have some serious doubts about our "retirement years". I don't know if we will be able to peacefully coexist. Seems like I've had the information all wrong for the past 40 years. I thought I was in charge of meals, the house, the animals....but apparently the latest memos are in the wind. Somebody unlocked the back door of our marriage and let this opinionated old man in to tell me what to do. He appears every once in a while but I usually scare him back out the front door with Sweet Man when he goes back to work on (his) Monday. But lately, that old crumudgeon has been hanging around more and more. I have told him that I hear his mother calling his name but that doesn't work anymore because she moved to Mississippi to live with the crowned prince of the family. Just because SM is the oldest doesn't mean he's heir to the throne.....that dubious honor went to the also ran brother whose birthday is on the 1st of April, go figure.

Anyway back to the grump that has vacationed with me. He has told me some things, well, let's just say I think he has over stayed his welcome. Tomorrow is the last day of the vacation fun time and I am just counting the minutes until Sweet Man takes the Grump and goes back to work.

Now don't get me wrong, Sweet Man is still that....it's just I don't think I can stand his alter ego for more than 35 hours and 47 minutes. I could stand him up against a firing squad wall but that's as far as the standing is going.

And so I will bid you good night and retire to the living room to watch NCIS reruns...maybe if I am lucky, it will be one that I have only seen 20 times. Tick Tock, and why yes I do have my snark on, thank you for asking.

11 comments:

  1. Hahahahahahahahahahahaha.......Sorry, Linda, this is just such a funny story. I've heard it SO many times from almost every woman who's husband decided to retire. Have a good weekend and sigh a big sigh of relief when you have the day to yourself on Monday.
    ♥ audrey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your snark looks great on you. Maybe Sweet Man is just going through a grumpy phase and all the sweetness will be back soon. If not, you can always go drill instructor on him ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol, I totally fear for my mum as she and my dad hurtle towards retirement, he's becoming a seriously grumpy old man at times!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We just stay in separate rooms mostly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So, was the NCIS rerun a good one? I've just finished watching all 9 seasons. :0}
    Glad to hear you and SM survived your vacation time together. I can only imagine the strain. Hope you're feeling better and back to having some quiet time. S&S

    ReplyDelete
  6. This post made me laugh out loud......when my soul mate first retired.....I relegated him to him office. That was his part of the house....the rest was mine....in fact he had to ask permission to leave his room LOL LOL LOL

    You will survive this I promise.

    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Count your blessings Linda, at least SM takes Grumpy out of the house when he goes to work. Imagine SM and G home 24/7. Takes marriage to an entirely "new" level ... LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Snark on, my lovely. I don't know a woman alive who hasn't thought the same thing when retirement time came. One of my friends decided to write a book when her husband retired just so she could go into another room, close the door and pretend he was nowhere around. Even my own sweet stud-muffin has those periods of time when I think, "Who are you and where did you put that man I adore?". What to do, what to do? May I recommend a tranquilizer gun? Best wishes and hugs. Mina

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tell Mr. Grumpy, you want Sweet Man back, or you are going to kick his butt on to a glacier!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, Oma Linda, they say that the definition of "retirement" is: "Too little money and too much husband." I have seen that on wall plaques, so it must be true.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have so much to say about men right now and none of it is good, so I leave you with this.

    Fuck. Them. In. The. Ear.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you. Thanks for taking the time to comment.