Sunday, November 11, 2012

Just another Sunday???? I think not......

It's taken me all day to get to the computer.

Life is a little slower today, a little less tense, a lot more empty.

The Cuckoos are experiencing a calm in the storm that has been our lives for the past two weeks. Odin has been failing and limping for awhile but until his diagnosis on Friday we thought he had injured his leg jumping over the back of the couch as he would rush to the front door to greet Sweet Man every evening. We had no idea it was supersonic fast bone cancer.

For the younger cuckoos, this is their first time at this crossroad.......death. They were here when I had to put down my beloved Willow but they didn't know her all that well. She had never slept with them at night when they were frightened or lonely....Odin did. It was his job and he took it quite seriously. They remember me crying and being upset at Willow being gone but it was my sorrow, that emotion did not belong to them. They were observers. Today they are the ones who have the hole that cannot be filled up easily or quickly.

GK, Shelley and I went to the vet's office yesterday morning to let Odin be released from his pain. As sweet Karen Anne called it the heaven shot. It had been our plan to give him this week for us to say our goodbyes and spoil him but fate saw it differently. His pain escalated during the night and even the pain pills were not making him comfortable. So the intrepid 3 generations of strong women took him to cross the rainbow bridge.

GK was the wonder child she is, strong, courageous, smart, curious, loving. She asked the vet a million questions and got adult answers from a lovely woman who showed her respect and cried along with the three of us. GK and her Mom comforted each other all the way home. This is the kind of life experience that one does not plan for but are the kind that forge a future based on mutual trust and shared life lessons. Blessings all around.

Ry has been particularly silent about Odin today. I suspect that he is mulling all of this over and will impart his wisdom at a later time.

Shelley was a wreck. Odin has always been her dog, her anchor, her rock. During the last 3 very hard emotional years here and during the torturous times in SC. The dog simply adored her. He would try to wag his tail off his body when she'd ask him, "whose the Mommas bad dog?" And when Odin came to live with us he became my protector and companion during the day. A few times when I have fallen, he never left my side. Always licking my face to make sure I was okay.

Even when we have annoyed him by bringing the new Ellie dog or the new Cybella cat, Odin weathered them and was large and in charge. The only animal he ever acquiesce to was Sunny. Sunny would make Odin wait to enter the laundry room, where the food bowls are.....just because he is ornery, loved a good old fashion Mexican stand off and simply could. Ellie is a little lost about what her duties are now, Cybella just keeps looking for Odin to come in a shoo her out of the room. Sunny laid in Odin's spot on the couch today in tribute.

Today animal and humans all didn't quite know how to go through our day without Odin here.

We spent the day cleaning out drawers, closets and cabinets. Helped occupy our minds and clear our spirits. We all kept waiting for the trumpeting bark of the chupacabra we will all miss, Odin. But he is here with us, tucked in our heart pockets forever.

Thank you to all of you who responded to my earlier post. You make life a beautiful place in which to share my families experiences. I adore you all. S&S Oma Linda

14 comments:

  1. I am so sorry....I understand this 100% commitment and love we give our pets...I think verbalizing ...writing...making small chores complete...mindless laundry...anything to pass the lonely times. I am sending you loving hugs and prayers for all of your family. Peace, Mary Helen Fernandez Stewart

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry to hear this sad news. My condolences to all of you and Odin's animal friends too. May you find heart's ease in time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sad Oma, so sad, actually I have tears reading your post, not many animals would feel the love and respect from so many humans that he loved as dear Odin has... our four legged members of the family are precious, I am so so sorry for your loss.

    I have meant to get back to you all week on your lovely email, but have had an old friend staying here who I've known for over 20 years and it was her first trip since she had a major stroke 2 years ago & the computer did not see much action... so sorry I had not known Odin was not well until now. I send you love, I send you hugs, and Odin that sweet dog would have known all the love he gave was reflected right back, that wagging tail was an expression of pure joy & happiness and he was loved as much as any man's best friend could ever hope for... well I bet even MORE... I am thinking of you all xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Linda I cried my eyes out here, I totally understand. We just had to do the same thing with my dog, My last post is all about it. Sending hugs to you and the kids....You said you cleaned that is what I did after too. I feel sorry for the kids going through this the first time. I am sure Ry will have words of wisdom that will help you all. think of you often my friend. your blog looks great by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw crap. Usually you start my day off with a smile, but this time I'm crying. Crap, crap, crap. So, so sorry for you, the Cuckoos and Odin. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. May Odins' call remain in your hearts forever.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Odin will be missed. It sounds like he was a wonderful good natured dog and all who knew and loved him will keep him forever in their hearts. As lucky as you were to have him in your lives he was just as lucky to have you all in his. Rest in peace Odin, you will be remembered.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Crying in my coffee, this was so beautiful in that heartrending way. Lots of love and smooches and big hugs to all the lives in the casa, may Odin rest in peace.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aww, big (((((HUGS))))) to all, although I'm glad he did not suffer long.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my, I meant to leave a sad face ... as I hit the submit key I saw a smiley face ... please delete that dang comment! Sorry! 8(

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have tears in my eyes. Rest in peace sweet Odin. Big Hugs to you Oma Linda and to the entire family.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am so sorry for the loss of your Odin. I know how very difficult it is to lose a beloved family members such as our pets. I wish you all strength to get through it.. people and pets alike. Hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. May happy "Odin Memories" help keep your hearts from breaking right now.
    Many many many many (((hugs))).
    audrey

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you. Thanks for taking the time to comment.