Monday, January 21, 2013

Got my junkin' on big time......

You all know what a thrift store "ho" I am. Shelley and I just can't pass up a Monday jaunt to one of the "junk stores" we love. But with the kids off from school today we decided to mix it up a bit and go to some places we hadn't been before. I know, crazy right????

We made our way down to Nob Hill to one of my favorite retail shops called Mask Y Mas. This is a treasure trove of Mexicana the likes of which cannot be found even in Mexico. In other words, not only are there true treasures from Mexico but also Mexican fashioned and crafted by Norte Americanos as well. Some of my friends sell in this shop and I always like to see what's new. But in all these years of loving this place, Shelley and the kids have never accompanied me. So today was an overload of good stuff for my fam. GK got a Our Lady of Guadalupe baseball cap, Shelley got a diablito (devil) loteria t shirt and Ry got a mexican wrestler (Lisha libero) mask. I found a perfect Efren miniature for Dia de Los Muertos, as well as a skelly with wings and some earrings.

Then we were off to a new to us consignment furniture shop Angela's Attic. We saw some really fair priced items on Craigslist that they had advertised. We were very pleased and happy to find the place easily and also to see such a great variety of not antique but older furniture as well as a plethora of "junque" that always seems to accompany furniture stores. I bought this great, made from a garden fence cabinet for my front porch. I can just see my night blooming cereus and other succulents gracing the top of this great find.

I also would love to make a coordinating wall mounted shelving unit from a pallet, something like this to go over my new plant shelf.

At another new to us antique mall kinda place we found this old, beaten up but still adorable donkey made of paper mache over wood. His hair could and probably is donkey hair (ick), but he just called my name. Isn't he adorable??????

Then on our way home, we went to one of our old stand-bys and I found this funky, funky, Elvis purse. The purse I carry now has Maleficent from Sleeping Beauty on it. I love to carry a funky purse because it always starts conversations while I am waiting in line somewhere. And I think Elvis will do the trick. Don't you?

And I was only supposed to stay home and finish my cleaning project.....just think of what I would have missed out on if I had stayed home.....I told you I hate cleaning. Any port in the storm, ya'll.

19 comments:

  1. Look at all the pretties! A winged skull, yay! And I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the pallet furniture--must show it to Jacob and start making obvious coughing noices.

    And that donkey is a darling. Love his ears ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Christmas in January--who knew? Great stuff; love the idea of the small plant shelf over your new fence cabinet. All of which is ALMOST a reason for settling in one place--STUFF!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fab collection of finds, although you starting conversations in lines? I just can't imagine it... ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some great finds! Love the winged skelly pin in particular.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the Elvis bag! It's bound to get a lot of attention. You really are a lucky shopper. My trips to the thrift stores never yield much of anything like the things you end up finding. I think it's the area I live in. When we lived in Wisconsin I would come home every week with a least one treasure that I just had to have. Now I rarely find anything of interest. The cabinet for the porch is fantastic and the paper mache donkey is adorable and to think all this was result of one shopping trip! Have fun with your new treasures. S&S

    ReplyDelete
  6. I need to come thrifting with you guys, you always find the coolest stuff and I never seem to find a darn thing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. There is nothing like your shops around here. I would love to go shopping like that!! I absolutely love that fab plant stand you got, it will be beautiful on your porch, lucky lucky you!! The donkey is pefect too!! You scored big time!! And by the way, BB, who NEEDS a clean house anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  8. ART always come first and collecting our design elements is essential...cleaning can be completed during a blizzard :0)!!!! I love goodwill and thrift stores...peace, Mary Helen Fernandez Stewart

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think all of us need to come over to your part of the world and go "junking" even though junk is the last word I think about with what you got. It sounds like a great family adventure and the treasures you found, fantastic! I have a kitchy purse I love and it always gets attention so have fun with Elvis :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. You found some cute stuff! I found zippo nada lately *grrr*

    thriftshopcommando.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I want to come shopping with you Oma Linda!! Such cool finds! I love everything!! Your purse rocks ;o) Get it? LOL! The donkey is adorable and I love your new furniture!! What a great day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I LOVE that purse. You got some goodies there Oma!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great stuff you got there. Love that donkey best!! Hee Haw!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. When I come visiting, promise you will show me the best junk stores:))))
    Love to you, I'm waiting for the postman to show up!
    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  15. When I come visiting promise you will show me the best junk stores:)
    Love to you, I'm waiting for the postman to show up!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oooooohhhhh! I am drooling over your treasures! What a fabulous day of finds and a beautiful family outing. Cleaning is for amateurs. Shopping at your excelled level, now that shows some serious skill. ;-) Warmest hugs to you and that beautiful family of yours. Mina

    ReplyDelete
  17. You found some really groovy pieces! I'd have snatched up any of them myself. Have you heard that song by...um....can't remember their names...hip hop rap song called Thrift Shop. I don't listen to much hip hop rap but that song really grabbed me, it was so funny and right on. Keep grabbing those deals and bragging about them to people who would spend $50 for a tshirt.

    ReplyDelete
  18. The song is by Macklemore and Ryan lewis, here is a link if you don't mind the bad language: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QK8mJJJvaes
    It is rather hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You have a great eye for whimsy. If I saw you in grocery store line,II would absolutely start a conversation with you over that purse. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you. Thanks for taking the time to comment.