Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Laissez les bons temps rouler......

I dare you to say that three times fast.

from my friend Mary at Deep South Dish....if you are looking for some fandamtastic recipes for Mardi Gras or everyday, go see Mary's site
Being from New Mexico, up until say, oh I don't know about 25 years ago, Mardi Gras was something that the Gulf Coast of the US celebrated and I wondered about. Or I watched on the evening news about Carnivale being celebrated in Rio but here uh....not so much.

It was about that time that I became involved in working with teenagers and their families in the church setting. I know some of you are saying to yourselves...what the????? I know, as I look back sometimes I say the same thing but it's true. I was a Christian educator in the United Methodist Church. I went to seminary and everything. I love the expression on faces when I say that now. You see the individual try to grasp how it is that I am a "heathen" now if I was an "indoctrinator" before. There eyeballs darting around trying to say something that would seem appropriate. I kinda like the shock value of that statement sometimes. Shame on my name.

I suppose it was the influence of being the rush chairperson in a sorority in college that led me to celebrate everything in a Martha Stewart sort of way, even in the church setting. Always had the right tablescape for the party, favors, decorations, and for goodness sake, the correct invitation. I actually look back at where I came from in my human development sometimes and ponder, "and how is it that I am where I am now?" You see I ran a program for children, teens and their parents during the week where a couple of hundred participants came together for dinner, lessons and fun. So I was the perfect "rush chair" for the job. I also had a Sunday program for teens and we celebrated everything. I infected them all with a sense of Laissez les bon temps rouler......... let the good times roll.

One year with the inspiration and help of a lovely couple, she from Australia, he from 'Nawlins we put on the biggest Fat Tuesday celebration that the church had ever had. We fixed more gumbo than probably had ever been in the city up to that point. And I baked enough King's Cake with tiny baby's hidden in them and mouth watering pecan pralines to fill a shrimp boat. And the youth group made a ton of money for a trip to help a community in Colorado and work with Habitat for Humanity. See that was the fun part......the getting kids community minded...not ego centered. I loved that part of my job.
And every year on Fat Tuesday I take time out to think about those youngsters now in middle age with "Karmic" pay backs in the way of teenagers of their own and how they impacted my life. I learned so much about loving and forgiving from them. I also learned that I liked the kids a lot better than the politics of "organizations". And quite frankly I learned how to roll with the good times, make gumbo, enjoy 'Nawlin's jazz and I make a mean pecan praline ya'll.

So throw me some beads mister!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12 comments:

  1. Wonderful post, BB. Hey, I used to teach Sunday school at a United Methodist church!! (3rd grade). But fortunately I got saved, lol! love your trip down mardi gras lane, what a great time you showed those teens!
    Happy mardi gras!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What did people do to earn their beads? Show you their Bibles? Hahahahahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now see we don't do mardi gras, but we do do pancake day aka Shrove Tuesday (same kind of theory about using things up) oh dear god, how could you not love a day when you can stuff yourself with pancakes?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fun Fun Fun!!!!!!!!!! I would love to attend someday in the future...Mardi Gras is for everyone! Peace, Mary Helen Fernandez Stewart

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post Oma Linda! I love you sharing your memories! I get to know you a little more and more, each day ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Blue or green?
    I come from a Methodist background. Luckily I found my way back to Nature.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know so many Pagans who left a very strict church lifestyle. Sometimes we have to know what we don't want to know what we do.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wish I could have been there for the gumbo. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh how i wish i could taste your pecan pralines ;-) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Linda--Hope all is well with you--It's been a while since I've seriously blogged or read other folks' blogs. Just wanted to stop by and say "hello" and that I miss talking with you! X,D.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just pictured a rainbow-colored rosary (I know that's Catholic, but still) it would be a great use for beads :-D

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you. Thanks for taking the time to comment.