Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Before the grands get outta school update............

Been getting gardening chores and updos done. We are fixing up the front patio. I will post the befores and afters real soon. Found some amazing old barn wood at our local ReStore run by Habitat for Humanity. Lots of character and stories to tell, that's what this wood brings to our project. When my folks built this house in 1961, it was to have been my Mom's dream home. She never dreamed that my Dad would make her do without so many finishings that made the house special, when it came right down to it. It was just how he was, always had to twist the situation. So I am finally putting the finishings on the entrance to the home. Hopefully my Mom would be proud, although she wasn't really a fan of rustic, I bet she'd sit out on the patio now with a glass of sweet tea and a good book and enjoy the summer breeze and see the completion of her dream done with my aesthetic.

On to the grands and their summer plans. Ry is going to be going to "his" summer program again. He just loves the director of the site where he will attend. Zander has been a huge part of Ry's growth as a proper boy with a sense of self. This will be Ry's 3rd year at Therapeutic Recreation and he is so excited. This year he will be attending without his sister.

GK last year served as a honorary counselor to the youngest kids. She was enrolled in the program but it was soon apparent that she would be more useful to the little ones instead of breaking up fights with the olders. So that is what she did. She fell in love with the Down's Syndrome kids and enjoyed being with them and found a niche with a special group of sweet youngsters. But that is not to be this year. She was told at the end of last year that she would be able to do the honorary counselor position again, but because of liability issues, that is not the case. She will have to wait for a year and then apply for the job when she is 14. Needless to say she was bummed but, we will persevere. There are lots of scenarios of fun and learning that she and I can be involved in and maybe not cause too much trouble for the citizens.

Ry's last day at school was yesterday. Field Day is always his best day and he came home wet and happy. GK's last day is Friday. Then, we will have two weeks until Ry's program starts. Our plan is to take the grands (SM and I) to the Four Corners area of NM. NM, Colorado, Utah and Arizona all come together there. You can stand in four states at once.....sorta. Anyway there are so many wonderful Native American sites to see and many things to do......so the Cuckoos are flying north for a small in-state vacay.
just love the way the different chains play off each other, the texture is so cool

this is a necklace and is simple and yet stylin'

there is a petroglyph on the western side of Albuquerque that is the spiral, one tale indicates the direction of the spiral is the direction the Native Amercians were going....sorta like a road map. This bracelet won't help keep you from getting lost but I love the spiral.

I have been working on my, pay it forward arting items. I made some jewelry that includes paper clips as part of the design both intact and as fasteners. I also have wanted to try making my own fabric with paper. So this begs the question is it faper or pabric? I used dryer sheets as the base on this particular try. I incorporated tissue paper and light weight brown paper bags. I used matte Mod Podge. The faper/pabric came out very much like plastic sheeting. I was able to sew on it, stain it, stamp on it and manipulate it. Made for cute roofs for the paper bird houses I made.




I think next time, I will use muslin and a different kind of glue and see how that turns out. And after my attempts with the paper clips and paper, Ms. GK requested some "fun" colored paper clips to work with. So  I guess we will see what happens with all that.

the wrinkled texture of the pabric/faper is super


Hope your plans for the early summer bring you joy and adventure, Oma Linda

20 comments:

  1. So bad GK didn't get the same honorary position. I'm sure she'll make things work for her anyway.

    And my goodness, you've been busy, busy, busy... I've been writing a lot. This weekend, my Piano Man and I will do some spring cleaning and some urban gardening (translation: we'll plant a few pots ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure she will make the best of the summer. We are working on baking and sewing so I will enjoy it anyway. And someday when she is on her own, she will be glad for it.
      I know that you and Piano Man might sneak in a few minutes of cleaning and urban gardening ....... and fun. Wishing you joy dear one, Oma Linda

      Delete
  2. Oh, to be young and have the joy of summer holidays again! Being an adult sux.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know that I still have the joy of summer holiday because of the grands....I'm a lucky old broad. Oma Linda

      Delete
  3. Greetings, there! I don't think I've ever seen paper craft done quite like this, but then again it's not a medium I've really studied up on, either. The birdhouse is beautiful. I don't know anything about the methods you've used... is the faper/pabric sturdy enough for birds to use it?

    You are a lucky woman. Reading about you and your grands brings a smile to my face as I am mother of three girls and currently only residing with one of them due to... well. It's a long story. My point is, your stories are a blessing to read. I'm always encouraged to see families helping each other out, especially since mine own is less than adept at it.

    -Fox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fox, I'm very flattered by your comment. I love to tell about my crazier than most and luckier than many grands and daughter. My husband and I had much different plans for our early retirement time than helping to raise the grands. But the past four years have been so wonderful and beneficial for all 5 of us. I am glad to think that you are blessed by something we do together.

      The houses are only "poofs" they are for decoration not for real birds. But the more I work with the pabric/faper, the more I realize there are so many other options to investigate.

      Delete
  4. Oh I just adore those bird houses. Absolutely precious! GK sounds like an extraordinary young lady. Too bad she didn't get the same position she had before. I hope she will find something equally as rewarding to do this summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the compliment. I had a fun time playing around with the houses.
      GK is a remarkable child. I'm sure life has other lessons for her this summer besides the program. She always finds the good in everything. Thanks for your hopes for her.

      Delete
  5. Hard to believe school is almost over. Where did that year go? How nice that Ry has a place to go that he loves. What a treat for him.
    Sorry about GK but at least it gives you someone to play with this summer. Have fun girls.
    Really cute bird houses and clever use of throw aways.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patti: I'm with you about the year. My brain is still on Easter time. Yes in a way I must admit I'm a little happy about the extra time with Ms. GK.

      Delete
  6. When you told me you were making faper or is it pabric, I had no idea what you were up to and now that I see what it looks like I want to learn how to do it. I've got enough raw materials to make a boat load. Talk to you soon. S&S

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm gonna try a tutorial on this stuff. I've had so much fun with this Maddy. It's one of those projects where you just keep seeing more and more things you can do with it......but when????????? Yikes. Talk to you soon. S&S

      Delete
  7. my grands aren't out til the 1st week of June and then the week long visits begin. very cute little birdhouses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you and your grands are gonna have a wonderful time. I look forward to hearing about your time together with the boy grand...working his borrowed money off and the girls. You always do great summer activities with them. The kind that are important....time spent.

      Delete
  8. Looks like loads of fun planned all round, and I'm sure whatever GK learns this summer will help her next summer :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure of that too. She is one of those people who finds a silver lining to things....even if it is less than a fat quarter, tee hee.

      Delete
  9. I'd love to play pool with you someday, Oma Linda. And I don't care if you DO wipe the table with me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gosh, me too. But I haven't played in years. I'd love to.

      Delete
  10. Hey Oma Linda ;o) Miss me? LOL! Your mom would be so proud of you! We have a big project happening this summer! Waterproofing the entire house! At the end of June it starts and hopefully by September it will be done! I will be taking pictures to put on my blog ;o) I hope you and the family have a special trip! I love what you made!! You should really sell some of your creations! You are good! Give Big Hugs to everyone for me ;o) xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ms. Stacy.....I do miss you. Haven't been able to get into your blog. It's my browser. But I'll keep trying and then I'll comment on all the ones I've missed.
      Sounds like you have lots to do this summer and lots to share about the waterproofing.
      Special trip report to follow.
      Yep, I should sell some of my stuff but I'm pretty satisfied with the local sales right now and I don't want to get too over extended. Like I always do. Biggest hugs and smooches to you and Mama Crow.

      Delete

I love to hear from you. Thanks for taking the time to comment.