Sunday, May 12, 2013

Oh Happy Day.......

when I thought I knew what the score was, someone changed the game.

I have come to expect a low key response by my daughter and grands for Mother's Day. It's kinda how we roll most of the time for most occasions around the Casa de Cuckoos. But I'll tell ya what, you could have knocked me over with a feather when Ms. GK for the very first time in her entire life responded to a holiday with an individualized effort. She made her Mom and I breakfast this morning, sans anyone else's assistance.

She proudly proclaimed, "see, I've been watching" as she served what are loving called Oma toasty eggs, which are basted eggs on toast. She also served sliced fruit and coffee. No one prompted her. And she was as surprised as we were. How darned cute is that?

Shelley's response to her was, "well kiddo at least we know that you won't starve if left to your own devices, and that's huge". GK just beamed and sat and watched us eat every bite.

I know some of you are saying, my kid did that lots earlier in their development. Well I say, yah for you. The wanta does, just infected our kids and they both acted on it. Ry made his Mom presents and then wanted her to put them on before she had even gotten a chance to get out of bed. He is usually wound up in the mornings but this was "get out the pole and peel him from the ceiling" day, because he was so excited to do something nice for his Mom.

It's one thing to have your grandmother urge you to make something so that you don't disappoint her daughter but it is another to have GK say when I asked what are we going to make for your Mom, "Oma, we've got this". Hallelujah, they get it and they got it on their own. No chiding, no coercing, no faux attempts. They were motivated by their own best intentions in the world......love.

My own girl child bought me chrysanthaMOMs. And we are spending the day, free styling. A little of this, a little of that and GK has assured me she's got dinner all figured out. Oh Happy Day.

So here's to all of those that nurture, Happy Mother's Day.

Confessions of Crafty Witches's had this on Facebook today, yum

Purple Dragon Martini

Ingredients:
3oz vodka
1 1/2oz cranberry juice
1/2oz blue Curacao liqueur
1/2oz sweet and sour mix
1/2oz of 7-Up
2-3 ice cubes

Directions
in blender or food processor all ingredients and blitz 20 to 30 seconds on high speed.
Salt the rim of your martini glass

Pour and Enjoy



22 comments:

  1. Yay for spontaneous acts of kindness :o) I'll never forget the year my mum didn't get a mother's day - I was living in Canada as a high school exchange student, which has mother's day the same as the US, while in the UK, it's actually mothering Sunday which is then 4th Sunday of lent (making it a moveable feast which is a bit of a PITA, but I digress). Needless to say she got nothing in March because a) I didn't know when it was and b) the shops didn't have anything for it, and I had no crafty stuff to make my own. I think she might finally have forgiven me 20 odd years later...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure your MOm has forgiven you in the "mean" time. I forgot that Mother's Day was in March for all of you across the pond. See, you gave me a lesson too. Thanks Katy

      Delete
  2. I am beaming with pride for you and the beautiful Shelley. What absolutely incredible grands you have there and who the hell care's what anyone else's kids have done or when. These are YOURS and that is the beauty of it! Happy Mother's Day sweetie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well my slow bloomers came through and that is what is important that they did without being "shamed" into it. I hope your Mommy's day was grand as well my dear Mina.

      Delete
  3. Oma Linda, you have made me smile big time! What a perfect day for you and Shelley ;o) Your grands are so special! I can't wait to hear what you had for dinner ;o) Big Hugs and Happy Mother's Day ;o) (I love the drink! Have to try it!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The dinner of sloppy joes, baked beans and strawberry shortcake was super. Ready a little early....they were anxious, but delish. And the purple dragon martinis were just right. Big Hugs right back at you sweet Stacy.

      Delete
  4. Oh, that's wonderful! Great kids, both of them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep they are super kids and fun to be around. I have folks tell me all the time, how they couldn't do with having "kids" under foot all the time. To be honest, I don't know what I'll do when they aren't.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Judy, I hope your MOther's Day was special too.

      Delete
  6. I'd say your work is done--quite well done. Now just sit back and enjoy the rewards. Happy Mother's Day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, the dye finally took, as they say. We had a ball today and got the garden finished and laughed and played and ate well. Hope your day was a goodie as well.

      Delete
  7. You are so Loved!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Peace, MHFS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As are you Mary Helen. We're lucky ducky's for sure.

      Delete
  8. Knowing what I know, that sounds like just the medicine y'all needed around the casa! I'm so tickled and proud of those kidlets I even dropped a 'y'all!' How's that for being a doting cyber-aunt? ;-)

    I've already said it once and now it's Monday but the sentiment remains, I hope you and Shelle had a most fabulous day!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Danni, it was indeed super medicine. And you're right to be proud of your cyber niece and nephew, they are very special under the circumstances and all.
      Our day was a respite from the normality of the grind and was welcomed. Hope Luna puppy was good to her Mommy and that you had a super MOmmy's Day too.

      Delete
  9. Isn't that great, when they finally take the initiative and do something unassisted?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes ma'am, it was indeed a happy and pleasant surprise. Hope you had a great Mom's Day as well. I know you're looking forward to your time with you own grands coming soon.

      Delete
  10. So glad to hear you enjoyed your weekend!!.. And my gosh, those purple martinis look interesting!!! Right click, SAVE!! I'm gonna have to try THAT recipe out soon! (0; This year, I tried my hand at making a jello shot cake for Mother's Day! Not too traditional, I suppose, but fun just the same; to at least say we've tried it! It came out great, but it was the sweet, fruity jello itself that kinda turned me off after 3 slices. I simply had enough at that point. Anyways, now we have leftovers, but the day as a whole was fun!! (0; Belated-but-sincere Happy Mother's Day wishes to you! ~tina

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats of having the best kidlets in the known universe! I'm so happy for you and Shelley and not at all surprised by GK & Ry's generousity. Look who they have inspiring them. Well done little Cuckoos, well done. S&S

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thoughtfulness comes by watching others, which means both you Oma and Shelly deserved to be spoilt because your mothering abilities and generousity, your kind-hearted ways, passed from generation to generation, and produced two awesome and thoughtful sweethearts :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you. Thanks for taking the time to comment.