Friday, June 7, 2013

Being married to a person of German, Native American, Hispanic lineage is well.................

interesting.

I am on day 2098 of SM's 9 day vacation. Does that tell you how it is going?
from the movie UP, Mr. Frederickson
You know even after 40 plus years of being married to this person, I never can predict when he is going to wake up on the third Reich, pancho villa, warpath. It doesn't happen very often, I have only seen him really, really mad 9 times in all these years but that is an apocalypse and this is just the warpath thing. The TRPV warpath happens more and more often now that his bones are aging. Grumpy ain't got nothin' on this man. Of course in his defense....no, nevermind.

We haven't had a proper vacation for a very long time. Most of our get aways are short jaunts to hither or yon. When we did go on the proper kind, Joe always managed to get us lost in the less than desired areas of where ever we were visiting. One time we went to Mexico and he managed to take us to the only place where there were "problemas" with the voting in a presidential vote. There were federal policia everywhere. Us, the police and alot of very angry locals were what we saw for what seemed like for blinking ever.

This vacay has been mostly a staycation. Spending time with the grands was the focus.....uh counting down the days until he goes back to work is mostly how it has been. Bless his pointed head. When he is cross....he is very, very cross. So yesterday, I mixed up the "schedule" and took him away from the house and the grands and we just drove to nowhere in no particular hurry. We headed south and just let the road dictate where we roamed.

We found whole communities that we didn't know existed. Found a place we had heard about for years. During Holy Week, Tome hill is where the "faithful" go on a climb up the hill for their faith to celebrate the walk Jesus made just before his torture and death on Good Friday. I always thought that Tome hill was public land...but I was wrong. When we got there, there were all kinds of keep out signs.   I guess you can only do holy stuff on Good Friday when the locks and barricades come down.....somehow it seemed kinda "off putting" or is that off pudding?

We also looked for junk shops and flea market venues that might produce the allusive vintage wooden windows that I hope to find to complete a look in the front yard. We did have fun looking around and going down the road less traveled. We laughed and talked and when we got home, Mr. Grumpy seemed to be in better spirits until a stomach bug got him and he was ill the rest of the evening and all day today.

Ya know sometimes Montezuma's revenge comes a knocking and the third Reich, pancho villa, warpath seems not to be a bad thing after all. So the grands and I kept a low profile and gave Joe space and time because I did make the mistake of suggesting that he take something for his stomach problems but realized too late that advice is on the list of "do not do's" when he's in a delicate situation especially for someone of his particular heritage and background......male.

But you didn't hear that from me.

16 comments:

  1. Hope he's back at work for you now ;o) I swear I'm less and less inclined to get in a car with my dad these days - not because of his driving skills per se, but his rapidly growing intolerance of EVERYONE else on the road!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ms. Katy....only two days to go and we will be out on an adventure tomorrow so it should be tolerable.

      Delete
  2. I think it's something in the air--Denny has been a bit of a bear lately also.

    Hope the rest of the vacation brings more smiles all around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SM is usually mellow and middle of the road but lately.....hmmm I'm not sure exactly what it is

      Delete
  3. well, let's hope it was 'off putting' cause I'd hate to off pudding. hee hee. hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yep, just checking in with those in the know

      Delete
  4. You are a hoot!! I just wonder if you talk about that guy like I talk about mine about when he drives. He's a great driver, but you'd never know it cause his mouth runs all the time mostly with 4-letter words~

    We will celebrate Anniversary 42 in August and I think I might understand your humor.
    xx, Carol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carol, I'm sure you do know and understand my humor.....40 something years makes us masters at humor instead of homicide, tee hee

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oma Linda, you are too cute! You always make me smile! I would love to have a tequila with you one day ;o) I hope Mr. Grumpy's tummy is better! Keep on smiling ;o) Big Hugs ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad that my humor brings smiles.....I have tried that one the grumpy one this vacay too.....he's not smiling.

      Delete
  7. Some how I feel badly about chuckling at SM's grumpies but I blame that on your humorous delivery. Humor can take the sting out of most anything.
    Hope the grumpies leaves him soon and mellow returns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't feel badly about it....we do when he's not looking. We used to have to be careful cuz he would hear us but that seems to not be the case anymore....either that or he hears us but doesn't care.
      I got my fingers crossed for mellow too

      Delete
  8. At first I thought that it was really weird that Tome Hill is closed on days other than those for the planned pilgrimage, then I figured that it was probably attached to a Catholic church... which would make sense.

    Anyhoo, I hope things are better and SM and the rest of the family find something everybody enjoys doing and brings the grumpiness down.

    Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Seems like when men aren't feeling well, well ... nobody can feel well! But you dare not suggest anything to help ... kinda kin to asking a gas station attendant directions. I hate when "Mr. Grumpy" rears up around here and I tend to leave him in isolation until "Mr. Grumpy" becomes "Hubby" again ...

    Hope your Mr. Grumpy turns back into Hubby real quick!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Is it the German that does it? Interesting...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would never pin the rap on any one of the wonderful ancestories he has. Each plays a delicious part in the case of grumpies he has with differing levels of irk.

      Delete

I love to hear from you. Thanks for taking the time to comment.