Saturday, June 15, 2013

Happy Father's Day

It is my pleasure to watch my grands have a terrific, and real, good man, role model in their Papa. Even if he is grumpy, he is always there for them. They are so dear to him. Of course until they have grands of their own, they will not know how much that means to us.

Be that as it may......they are learning that not everyone has a good day every day and that's okay so long as you take responsibility for your actions. They love their Papa. Proof of that is the way they want to please him, take care of him and how they tease him. GK does a great imitation of Joe as he runs to try to keep up with them. It cracks even Joe up every time.

Joe has to work tomorrow, so we made plans for Father's Day dinner for tonight. GK practiced her menu planning, cooking and baking skills for her Papa. She made (almost totally by herself) Green Chile Chicken Enchilada casserole, home made bread, we will have tossed salad and she baked this fabulous Hawaiian Dream Cake. She found the recipe for that on Pointiest. The cake has a pineapple cake base, then a layer of cream cheese, pudding and pineapple. It is then iced with cool whip, sprinkled with coconut and pecans. Just before serving she is going to top it off with Papa's favorite maraschino cherries.

We spent a quiet non TV or electronics of any kind day today and just talked and played and enjoyed each other. They had selected a card online and had Joe look at it when we first got up this morning.....there were tears from all. It was so sweet and thoughtful. And then we went sans electronics until just now when I came in to blog just before dinner.

I want to wish all of you a Happy Father's Day. To those who have recently had medical dilemma with your husbands....blessings, to those that have lost your Father's, I know you will spend the day remembering. For those of you who are separated from you Father's, I wish you a day of peace. For those that are a Father, I congratulate you for being a good roll model. For those who blew your chance at being a good roll model, change while you still can. And to all the Mom's out there who have been both Mother and Father.....ladies, Happy Dad's Day.

Yes, this is a day made up by the card company's to celebrate something but.....it is a day to celebrate the idea of the strong, good man who loves, teaches, spends time with, makes a living for, protects, nurtures and supports his offspring in whatever they do.

Smooches and Squoozes, Oma Linda

14 comments:

  1. Your last paragraph describes what a Real Man is to a tee! This is what should be held up for boys and young men to emulate, not brute strength, fast cars, scoring money and women and other gangsta B.S.

    GK's dinner sounds delicious! Especially that cake . . . mmmm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Debra, I think so too. Sweet Man is a constant, albeit flawed man who shows he cares in all his moods. We at the Casa de Cuckoos are fortunate ones to share our life and love with him.
      And dinner was FABU. We waddle afterwards and GK beamed for sure.

      Delete
  2. Beautifully written as always, my dear. Please pass on my wishes for a Happy Father's Day to SM. Hugs all around to the Cuckoos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. best wishes have been passed along as he scooted out the door. He said to say hi to the non traveling Vagabrauns. And we'll take your loving hugs anytime you want to pass um to us dear Linda.

      Delete
  3. I think that we (the grands of the world) love our grandparents best when we understand that they aren't perfect, but still do their best to adore us. When I speak of my grandma these days, people say things like, "She sounds like such an angel." I don't care much when they say that because she wasn't. She was a woman with a temper, and I loved every bit of it.

    My grandpa, on my father side, was an amazing man. Funny, capable of sharing himself fully, a master candy-hider, and he gave me his eyes and his smile. He had his "quiet" days; in that, he reminds me of your Sweet Man. Tell him I said, "Happy Father's Day!"

    P.S. The Little Princess is cooking for Daddy, too. She is very excited. Woke me up at 5:01 am to see if it was time already. I gave her some chocolate milk, and send her back to sleep lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our memories of "the grandparents" should be real and fleshed out with all manner of moods. It's what helps us choose our own paths. Your grandmother sounds like someone I would have been friends with and butted heads with as well....my kinda friend. The real kind.
      If your grandpa gave you that gorgeous smile and flashing "where's the next adventure" eyes then he must have been a charmer indeed.
      How sweet of Little Princess. I love it when kiddos are so charged with the pleasing fever that they kinda lose themselves in that joy. It always makes me feel deliciously warm and blessed.
      Happy Father's day to Piano Man. He's a goody Dad and tell him I said so, if you don't mind.
      love you darling girl......Oma Linda

      Delete
  4. So sorry SM had to work on Father's Day but how sweet of you all to celebrate on Saturday anyway.
    For those of us who have lost our Dads, it is a day to remember the man who set the bar high for all men.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always been envious of woman like you who hold their fathers in high esteem. You are a fortunate one.

      Delete
  5. Beautiful post Oma Linda ;o) Your grands are fortunate to have a special Papa ;o) My grandpa, on my mom's side was a very special man! I didn't have too many years with him, but the ones I had, I will never forget! Love you grandpa! Big Hugs ;o) (I have to get that cake recipe!!! Yummy!!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep the old goat is a goodie. I believe we will keep him around for as log as we can. Grandpas are special. I'll post the cake recipe to you in a few minutes.

      Delete
  6. If GK ever wants to come over and cook for me, I surely won't complain! Sounds like that girl could teach me a thing or two about being in the kitchen. ;)

    My Joe loves his dad, but it's his Grandpa who he most aspires to be like. He's been gone a very long time, so I never had the pleasure of meeting him, but every so often I find my hunny smiling at a picture of him and his pops reading together on the couch when he was little. And every time I catch him, he holds the photo up grinning and says 'Do I look like him yet?' What a lovely loon I've got. xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your husband is such a dear man. Someday, he will look like him, his grandpa because obviously he got some good life skills from him.

      Delete
  7. Beautiful post Oma :) inspirational and genuine x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shelle, you always make me feel good about myself.....thank you darling

      Delete

I love to hear from you. Thanks for taking the time to comment.