Sunday, June 9, 2013

Update on the Grumpy sightings...........

Well lovelies, it's official. We are on the last day of the staycation. So this morning we took it easy and left town going north with a destination this time.

There is a lovely community that started out as a hippie haven....I know because I used to pitch a tent down by the stream bank when I was in college. There are some very happy and not connected memories in Placitas. It was when I wanted to be a flower child and my folks said okay dumbie but don't come home if you get arrested. So in the summer of 1968, I tried living in a tent for all of a week and then I wanted a shower really badly and caved and when home to eat a mess of crow. Actually, it wasn't all that bad because I just turned around in the fall of the year and did it again and showered at a friends. Since I was living on campus, it wasn't all that risky but that's a whole different post.

We love Placitas. There was a wildfire there not long ago and we went to see what it had done to the area. We couldn't get up there because the forest is completely closed off from traffic. But we were rewarded for our efforts by the viewing of a small herd of wild horses.
Stallion and look out for his herd

Mare and foal across the road

others hiding in the background

I blogged about this area before, even showed you the troll bridge at the north end of Placitas with the grands looking for the troll, tee hee.

The plight of these wild horses is not much different than that of so many wild mustangs. And we are in the middle of a drought. You can see how thin these horses are. They are being hunted down by the powers that be. In this herds case, the home owners of the area have banded together to rid the area of these pests. These folks want the gorgeous view of the area but not the essence of Placitas. Excuse me????? The horses were there first. The idiots who bought part of the wilderness knew the horses were there. And can you tell it irks my chicken? I hate humans sometimes. We are the dumbest, most uncaring, lethal mammals on the planet.

During my week on the stream bank of Placitas, I got up one morning and there was a herd of about 20 about 15 yards from me drinking the spring water and not a one of them spooked at us silly humans playing at being part of the scenery. It was one of those moments that are gems in my memory. Still gives me goose bumps when I think about it.

Joe and I had our usual discussion about this horse vs man issue and he said the sweetest thing after we saw the small herd. He said, "you know if we lived out here, you'd have hay and feed for all of the horses and would have already named them all". Ya think?????? The man knows me well.

This little drive kinda pulled the ickiness out of both of us. He is less grumpy and I am less snarky. Well at least I'm trying.

16 comments:

  1. Sounds like a lovely get away, refreshing for the spirit. How amazing seeing these beautiful horses in the wild!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was just what we needed to redirect ourselves, thanks for the comment.

      Delete
  2. So glad the ickiness is gone!!! Less grumpy and less snarky make a great couple ;-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Mags, you know that we (SM and I) are like peas and carrots. Really more like Fric and Frac, we deserve each other as well.

      Delete
  3. Oh, that skinny horse broke my heart. Like you, if I lived near, I would be pitching hay bales their direction also. Poor babies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I didn't sleep very well last night. Kept having dreams about hungry crying babies. It doesn't take a genius to figure out what I was upset about. Thanks Patti for being a caring soul.

      Delete
  4. we used to have encounters with horses quite frequently when I was doing the river guide gig on the Rio Grande in Big Bend. One galloped through our camp site in the middle of the night and didn't step on a single sleeping camper. another time a mare came galloping down to the river where we had set up camp, stopped and looked around and then galloped back where she came from. or we would come around a bend in our canoes to se five or six horses in the river belly deep.

    people are so stupid. moving into a wilderness area and then not wanting it to be wild. like some of the yuppies and dinks that started moving into our neighborhood at the beginning of the gentrification and then once they moved in decided they didn't like all the working poor who lived around them because they were bringing their property value down. what? didn't they notice those people and houses before they moved in, before they bought that over-priced house in the middle of a working poor neighborhood?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right Ellen. I spend so much time wondering why folks do what they do. So whose the idiot, them or me?

      Delete
  5. Hi BB. Just read this and the last post. Sorry your hubby has been a grump, and then to get a stomach thing, yikes. Men are very unable to handle illness in a sensible fashion.
    The wild horse situation is a typical story that exists all over, with Humans thinking that nothing on this planet matters except for their pitiable needs and desires. It is sickening.
    Wishing you though, a pleasant day today, and a hell of a good one tomorrow when you-know-who goes back to work, tee hee!! Love ya!! Robin.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't have time for a longer comment earlier so wanted to come back and say a bit more. Glad you two are feeling a bit more cheerful again, a similar situation was going on here. Not sure what brings these things on or why they go but I'm glad when they do go. Seeing the horses must have been wonderful and I also enjoy your bit of story about your younger hippie days. I'm not really sure if I ever left my hippie days behind but I do try to wash more frequently than once a week;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never understood moving to the 'ideal location' only to try and change it completely and remove its 'essence'. There's a lot of that goes on in the Highlands too

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would love to see wild horses! I think it would be magnificent and something to truly treasure! I don't understand people! Oma Linda, I would be out there with you, feeding hay to them ;o) I will let you name them, you are good at that ;o) So happy everything is well with you and Mr. Grumpy ;o) Hugs ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  9. he looks so thin...and deserves to have the land he was born to roam. You have a heart of pure GOLD! Peace, mary helen Fernandez Stewart

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely. And I'd be right there feeding and naming the herd with you.

    Glad you two grumps had a good adventure together. xox

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you. Thanks for taking the time to comment.